IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I’m not saying that, nor did I even imply it my earlier post. Rather, I’m saying that Atari did not create and market the 2600+/7800+ machines to appeal to 500-odd R&V cartridge owners. They are going for a much wider customer base and no doubt hope to sell many thousands if not tens of thousands of units in return for their investment.

And for the record, I personally own a copy of R&V purchased early in the initial run (S/N 1-58 if I recall correctly), as well as a PC/emulator copy on Steam, and a third copy included with my 7800GD cart from StoneAge Gamer. So I’m definitely a fan myself. Just pointing out that we are a but a small subset of those Atari is targeting with these devices. 

Yes I agree and mine was meant to be a general reflection, since the game having sold 550 copies in two years then one could assume that there is no longer a market for it. As for the various complaints about compatibility, I am also interpreting them in perspective, I am reading comments outside of AA of people who expected a reprint of Rikki & Wikki for 7800+.

The goal is clearly to sell not only the console but also new cartridges.

• Like 1

Yes...

The 7800 system used the original 2600 color/bw switch (and made it a momentary switch) as the Pause button.  The 7800 games were then programmed to treat that switch as Pause.

For instance, if you play Adventure on the 7800, holding down Pause will show the game in black and white, but will not pause the game.

Edited by PacManPlus
Clarity
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Can you sub BBSB instead of BBCQ? I Already have the later years ago.

Probably not. In this or the other topic about the 7800+ (in the 2600+ forum) was stated that in the 7800+ box Bentley Bear will only come with the cartridge sleeve and not the box. So I think retailers will not be very eager to swap the games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Probably not. In this or the other topic about the 7800+ (in the 2600+ forum) was stated that in the 7800+ box Bentley Bear will only come with the cartridge sleeve and not the box. So I think retailers will not be very eager to swap the games.

I'll second that, these are being manufactured (or will be) in large quantities in a factory somewhere, and every 7800+ box is going to have a copy of Bentley Bear in it.  And Ben won't be anywhere near that process or involved in any way in shipping them.

..Al

• Like 1

Serious question, I experience controller lag/latency with my 2600+ and it is the only thing that gets me down about an otherwise great system. Will the 7800+ have controller latency or will it be snappy like the original?

22 minutes ago, ShiftLock said:

Serious question, I experience controller lag/latency with my 2600+ and it is the only thing that gets me down about an otherwise great system. Will the 7800+ have controller latency or will it be snappy like the original?

There will always be some as it is using emulation.  You can minimize it by making sure that your TV is set to Game Mode.  This will eliminate most of the picture processing from the TV and thus most of the display lag.  The controllers aren't the issue, it's the way the game is processed.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 2:08 PM, DrVenkman said:

I’m not saying that, nor did I even imply it my earlier post. Rather, I’m saying that Atari did not create and market the 2600+/7800+ machines to appeal to 500-odd R&V cartridge owners. They are going for a much wider customer base and no doubt hope to sell many thousands if not tens of thousands of units in return for their investment.

And for the record, I personally own a copy of R&V purchased early in the initial run (S/N 1-58 if I recall correctly), as well as a PC/emulator copy on Steam, and a third copy included with my 7800GD cart from StoneAge Gamer. So I’m definitely a fan myself. Just pointing out that we are a but a small subset of those Atari is targeting with these devices. 

This thread is moving me more towards buying a GameDrive . . .

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Neon Wraith said:

There will always be some as it is using emulation.  You can minimize it by making sure that your TV is set to Game Mode.  This will eliminate most of the picture processing from the TV and thus most of the display lag.  The controllers aren't the issue, it's the way the game is processed.

Thanks for your response - none of my TVs have game mode unfortunately so I can't test this. Would there be any reason that my NES classic mini (emulation based) doesn't exhibit any noticeable signs of latency? Or is that something inherent to whatever emulator is used (2600+ vs NES Mini)?

11 minutes ago, ShiftLock said:

Thanks for your response - none of my TVs have game mode unfortunately so I can't test this. Would there be any reason that my NES classic mini (emulation based) doesn't exhibit any noticeable signs of latency? Or is that something inherent to whatever emulator is used (2600+ vs NES Mini)?

There is some in the NES classic mini.  I have one and it does exhibit some, albeit very little.  If you are having excessive latency, it shouldn't be because of the emulator.  I don't know what your specific setup is like but on the 2600+ I have not noticed anything excessive either.  It is there.  It is noticeable.  But I don't think it hinders my gaming by much.  I think the 2600+ has comparable latency to the NES classic mini.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Neon Wraith said:

There is some in the NES classic mini.  I have one and it does exhibit some, albeit very little.  If you are having excessive latency, it shouldn't be because of the emulator.  I don't know what your specific setup is like but on the 2600+ I have not noticed anything excessive either.  It is there.  It is noticeable.  But I don't think it hinders my gaming by much.  I think the 2600+ has comparable latency to the NES classic mini.

🤷‍♂️

Hmm interesting, yes if my 2600+ had similar latency to the NES mini I would be content! I wonder if it is something with my TVs (I have tried hooking it up to 2 modern tvs and even a CRT, latency the same each time). Anyway I'm definitely excited for the 7800+(even though I have the 2600+) exciting times.

Edited by ShiftLock

On 8/26/2024 at 3:40 AM, Razzie.P said:

I know you don't agree, and that's fine, but for many of us -- their takes aren't wrong.

I bought the 2600+ and was very disappointed in how things played, so it was an easy return for something I should have absolutely loved.    Now I've pre-ordered this (and all the games) because I've heard everyone talking about how much it's been improved thanks to updates, and I'm really excited for it, but if it still has that same disappointment with actually playing it, it'll be a repeat I suppose.  But hoping for the best.

I'm just curious as to what it was you didn't like about the 2600+. Would you mind sharing? Fyi I'm interested in getting the 7800+ if it improves on the 2600+

5 hours ago, 5200Fanatic said:

I ordered the bundle, and today the bundle items were delivered but not the 7800+ and the wirelss controller. I guess the 7800+ is coming later? Sorry for the dupe post.

I'm pretty sure the 7800+ is getting released in late November, it is here in Australia anyway. How's the wireless controller?

12 hours ago, Albert said:

I'll second that, these are being manufactured (or will be) in large quantities in a factory somewhere, and every 7800+ box is going to have a copy of Bentley Bear in it.  And Ben won't be anywhere near that process or involved in any way in shipping them.

..Al

Will this cart have a sound chip on board?

10 hours ago, wongojack said:

This thread is moving me more towards buying a GameDrive . . .

Do it. They’re great. Not sure StoneAge Gamer is still including a digital copy of R&V or not, but if you have a Steam copy, there’s a handy little conversion tool and instructions available in the 7800GD forum section to convert those files into something the 7800GD can run. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Do it. They’re great. Not sure StoneAge Gamer is still including a digital copy of R&V or not, but if you have a Steam copy, there’s a handy little conversion tool and instructions available in the 7800GD forum section to convert those files into something the 7800GD can run. 

According to the StonAge Gamer website, the 7800GD still includes a digital copy.

image.png.b22f53e74eeb59296591637818c217ce.png

If you are an AtariAge subscriber, and you already own a copy of the R&V ROM (via Steam or Humble Bundle), it may be cheaper to buy the 7800GD from AtariAge, with the subscriber discount.

• Like 3