IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

While I am a ColecoVision/ADAM videogame player. I just noticed that this new official Atari 7800+ videogame system is really cool. It has a HDMI output jack like all modern videogame consoles need. Plus works with wired DB9 Atari game controllers and plays real Atari 7800 and 2600 cartridges.

I am almost considering getting one of these systems. According to the specs much better then the original Atari 7800. I wish other 21st century videogame consoles like this existed with a true HDMI output. Would be cool to have a Atari 5200 with HDMI output or a ColecoVision/ADAM with HDMI output. I would upgrade all my old videogame systems if official consoles like this start being made with HDMI output and true cartridge slot. I bet this system is firmware upgradable to fix any minor bugs in the operating system.

I would like to compare the Frenzy game to the ColecoVision Frenzy game. Would be cool to see games like Pacman, Ms Pacman, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Junior made. This Atari 7800+ system should be very popular because of the HDMI output and cartridge slot. Maybe one day this system might be sold at Walmart since one can connect it to a modern display.

When is this Atari 7800+ system scheduled to be released?

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

Glad to see this new Atari 7800+ videogame system has an original aspect ratio mode of 4:3 for the old original videogames. On a modern 16:9 widescreen display with HDMI input will have black bars on the left and right of the display to maintain original ratio. Kind of like watching a old 80’s TV show on a HDTV in terms of screen ratio with left and right black bars. I wonder if this Atari 7800+ outputs 4K (2160P), 2K (1080P), 1080i, 720P, 480P, and 480i like a 4K Blu-ray player. Do not see the native resolution information listed.

I hope new videogames that are not based on actual classic 80’s videogames will be made with an official native 16:9 widescreen ratio. Any new videogames would be cool with a native 16:9 screen ratio. Also, a new improved Junior Pacman would be cool with a 16:9 screen ratio. Also, since its HDMI output is there a native stereo or surround sound mode for programmers to use when making new videogames?

I am wondering how this Atari 7800+ system gets firmware updates to fix any minor or major bugs? Maybe the USB-C charging jack is more than a charging jack and maybe it accepts two-way data for firmware updates. Or maybe the DB9 jack or cartridge port would allow a firmware update. Use one of those Atari 2600 cartridges with a SD card slot for firmware updates maybe. Guess one will have to wait and see after release date to find out the answers to some of these questions.

Edited by HDTV1080P

7 minutes ago, HDTV1080P said:

I hope new videogames that are not based on actual classic 80’s videogames will be made with an official native 16:9 widescreen ratio. Any new videogames would be cool with a native 16:9 screen ratio. Also, a new improved Junior Pacman would be cool with a 16:9 screen ratio. Also, since its HDMI output is there a native stereo or surround sound mode for programmers to use when making new videogames?

That's not possible.

It is still an (emulated) 7800 that was made in 1984, and the system itself can only handle 4:3 ratios, as that's all that was available then.

Edited by PacManPlus
Clarity

3 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

That's not possible.

It is still an (emulated) 7800 that was made in 1986, and the system itself can only handle 4:3 ratios.

Yea that makes sense, since what I am talking about would be the creation of a new Atari videogame system with programming specs beyond the 7800. So the mentioned 16:9 widescreen mode must be a stretch mode and not a native mode. Would have been cool if the graphics and sound was updated but then the system might have to be called Atari 10,000 system instead of Atari 7800 system.

5 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Is that it?  HMMmmm,   All I know is 7800 + 5200 = some Big number!

Ever since I bought a Jaguar,  seems I can't Do the Math!  (Things come up double and stuff :)

2600 + 2600 =   5200 

5200 + 2600 =   7800

7800 + 2600 = 10400

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Frenzy for the 7800 is more like the arcade version, and less like the Colecovision version.

I've just fired up the Arcade version as well as the CV and 7800 versions and you're right.  Although the CV version isn't THAT far off.   Plus that one was published during era.

Edited by RockLobster