IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

3 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I just did a video on this announcement, but question:   Is the 7800+ going to have an upgraded cart connector?   I know that they were working on one correct?

Yes, I believe Ben mentioned today that it does have a new cartridge connector. 

..Al

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Does the pack in game come boxed or as a loose cart?  

Last time it came in a sleeve. I'd imagine it's the same this time, unconfirmed. @Ben from Plaion Have you seen the packaging?

That's why I bought a separate copy of it so I have the box and manual for my collection.

• Like 2

@Albert and @Ben from Plaion

Hi,

Thanks for taking the Atari retro-game consoles as seriously as they deserve!

I hope this is very much of a beginning for Atari to get back to the bigger or biggest gaming headlines out there.

Just from it’s given content description on Atari and here,  it seems like coming close to the Atari-collectors or Atari enthusiasts dream-device.

So, - in that regards my question concerns its future; will the firmware just be improved continually as process in the background with occasional system-updates needed, or is this the final level or will it be this + a few more tweeks in the future? 

Again, congratulations (this also to all of Atari) on keeping the retro-console steam (very) hot and stay on the roll! 

Man, this is the right direction!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Does this mean Atari bought the Epyx catalog from Pixel Games UK?

If Atari bought the Epyx catalog, they MUST add the Lynx launch titles and both Lynx and Jaguar versions of Checkered Flag and Blue Lightning to Atari 50 IMMEDIATELY.

• Like 5

This is fantastic news!  I love the Euro design, and I'm super pumped about the new games and wireless controllers!  That said, I do have some questions for @TrogdarRobusto, @Ben from Plaion, and/or @Albert.

Do the 10 games announced today include the delayed title that was mentioned back when the Fatal Run, Food Fight, and Ninja Golf re-releases were announced?  If so, what game was it? 😛

Does the 7800+ feature different hardware as far as controller input is concerned?  I know you all are trying to address controller compatibility on the 2600+, and I'm just curious if the 7800+ has any built-in improvements.  (This would be a selling point for me.)

I noticed the 7800 versions of Berzerk and Frenzy were both developed by @PacManPlus.  Are these the same games included in his Frenzy release on AtariAge?  If so, are the new cartridges 2-in-1 as well?  (I know this is a hard ask, but it's also an important one from a consumer stand-point.)

Do you have any more news regarding printed manuals for the first wave of 2600+ games?  That is the 10-Games-In-1 cartridge, the 4 Games-In-1 cartridge, Mr. Run & Jump, and the 2600 Berzerk re-release.

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed typo.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

I was kind of excited, and also tickled, at the idea of 7800 Bounty Bob Strikes Back, by ... Bob! 

Any pics or media of it running on 7800 yet? 

I need Miner 2049er as well!  Is it just a port or is it updated to use 7800s capabilities?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KainXavier said:

I noticed the 7800 versions of Berzerk and Frenzy were both developed by @PacManPlus.  Are these the same games included in his Frenzy release on AtariAge?  If so, are the new cartridges 2-in-1 as well?  (I know this is a hard ask, but it's also an important one from a consumer stand-point.)

Yes, they are the same games, however, the title screens have been changed to reflect ownership of the IP by Atari.  The games are no longer 2-in-1, Frenzy and Berzerk live alone in each of those two cartridges.

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Albert said:

The games are no longer 2-in-1, Frenzy and Berzerk live alone in each of those two cartridges.

This was my first thought. Is it the same game split up or has Bob done some work on them?
If it's the same game then that's a bit cheeky given Bob combined them originally because it was simple enough to remove features of Frenzy to recreate Berzerk. It means the original AA release is by far the better and cheaper package.

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, they are the same games, however, the title screens have been changed to reflect ownership of the IP by Atari.  The games are no longer 2-in-1, Frenzy and Berzerk live alone in each of those two cartridges.

..Al

I had to buy both, as I am a chicken humanoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

This was my first thought. Is it the same game split up or has Bob done some work on them?
If it's the same game then that's a bit cheeky given Bob combined them originally because it was simple enough to remove features of Frenzy to recreate Berzerk. It means the original AA release is by far the better and cheaper package.

The boxed version of Frenzy in the AtariAge Store is $50.00 (and I'm out of boxes at the moment), so $30 for each of the games with a box seems fair to me.  This also means Berzerk gets more attention, with a proper box, manual, and cartridge label.  It's likely these new games will replace what's currently in AtariAge  Store when they overlap like this, but that won't likely always be the case, depends on the individual games.  I really like the new artwork for Bentley Bear, for instance, and we'll definitely have the 2600+, 7800+, various accessories, and all of these new games in the AtariAge Store once the store moves over to Shopify (we're pretty far along with that, but it's stalled a bit because of me at the moment).  I'm really eager to play Bounty Bob, as that was one of my favorite games on the Atari 8-bit back in the day, and I haven't played it in some...  40 years or so!

..Al

• Like 14

1 hour ago, MateusSolo said:

If Atari bought the Epyx catalog, they MUST add the Lynx launch titles and both Lynx and Jaguar versions of Checkered Flag and Blue Lightning to Atari 50 IMMEDIATELY.

I love to see Rogue released for the VCS 800... I'd be ALL over that!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

On the plus side, we can now buy Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest for $30 cheaper than AtariAge.  So for me, it's kind of a wash, but yeah, buyer beware.  I feel like both games should have been included with each Atari release, and the only difference be the packaging.  (And maybe some minor ROM differences like title screen and which game boots first.)

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed typos.