IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

Is there more information available for the wireless controllers?

How long does the battery charge last on average for cx-78+ and cx-40+?  How long does it take to charge them? 

No issues if multiple controllers are being used?  Will they work on the Quadtari (4 in use at the same time)?

For future consideration, I would suggest adding a switch to the bottom of the CX-40+ to enable the control for left handed individuals since the cord placement is no longer a limitation.  I grew up with a good friend that was always at a disadvantage.

• Like 1

i got bored, so i tried copying the 1990 era 7800 print ads (Alien Brigade/Ikari Warriors) for a bit of fun with the 7800+, apologies for the... quality... I did this just to do it and i didnt really have any hq reference images available :P

image.png?ex=66ca29da&is=66c8d85a&hm=4b6

but i hope it was worth the couple minutes it took me to do.

• Like 6

On 8/22/2024 at 4:24 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

It's never come up in conversation to release a machine without a game. 

Yeah, SOC, memory and RAM are the same. Differences between the two are updated cart socket and changes to the dumper and controller chips.

tbh that makes sense, i mean. It's not just the minority of us who are fetuses whom never owned any of the games back then or anything its just kinda what you'd expect from a Classic Console anyways, something to do with it in case you might not have some games already.

but maybe someday a "core version" could exist but it plays asteroids built in or something. Who knows?

also to those who got the 2600+ around the time of this announcement.

You guys are still awesome, and dont worry anyways, the 7800+ is more for the people like me to put next to the PS5 or XBS to play some carts after work or school with Craig from the night shift.

18 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

tbh that makes sense, i mean. It's not just the minority of us who are fetuses whom never owned any of the games back then or anything its just kinda what you'd expect from a Classic Console anyways, something to do with it in case you might not have some games already.

but maybe someday a "core version" could exist but it plays asteroids built in or something. Who knows?

My question is, are Atari 2600+ owners going to be forced to upgrade to the 7800+ for better game/controller compatibility? 🤔

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Is there more information available for the wireless controllers?

How long does the battery charge last on average for cx-78+ and cx-40+?  How long does it take to charge them? 

No issues if multiple controllers are being used?  Will they work on the Quadtari (4 in use at the same time)?

For future consideration, I would suggest adding a switch to the bottom of the CX-40+ to enable the control for left handed individuals since the cord placement is no longer a limitation.  I grew up with a good friend that was always at a disadvantage.

Specs for both wireless controllers attached

I tested both controllers at once and all fine. 

Not tested on a Quadtari.

Probably unlikely to revise the CX40+ with a switch as you suggest.

image.thumb.png.1b0bb5ecf907083d2d9fa5903554509e.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Intellivision Master said:

It shouldn't come to that.  But if it did, I have my original 7800 so I'm good.

For me personally. I would just stay with the 2600+ if that was the case. No way am I paying another $130/£99 for an updated cart socket and changes to the dumper and controller chips.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, shane857 said:

My question is, are Atari 2600+ owners going to be forced to upgrade to the 7800+ for better game/controller compatibility? 🤔

I dont think so, oddly i kinda think that the 7800+ is just moreso for the younger atarians like me who might be more used to wireless controllers and more contemporary types of games like BBCQ and the 2600+ is possibly going to still be the main model.

Maybe also just some minor improvements for 7800 specifically for that system? Guess it also depends on what library you're going for and why you'd want to play Atari.

I am hoping to someday test Ikari Warriors 7800 myself not just because everything i say about it but, i think a few emulators tend to somehow make the grenade guys rapid fire their grenades at the same rate as machine guns, and looking at footage online from original 7800, thats not supposed to happen. So i'm kind of hoping i can eventually try it on my 1.0 2600+ and a 7800+ to see if that game suffers from "goblin mode grenade guys syndrome"

1 minute ago, shane857 said:

For me personally. I would just stay with the 2600+ if that was the case. No way am I paying another $130/£99 for an updated cart socket and changes to the dumper and controller chips.

Thats totally fair, i mean i'm getting it because i feel like i'd really enjoy it, but hey, just enjoy the new releases coming for the launch B]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Would someone like to fill the uninitiated in on what this evil cartridge was all about ?

I went to PGRE last year and we had some 2600+s on Atari Age stand. Some kind forum members turned up with boxes and boxes of carts to test compatibility, @flaggskull @littaum @swlovinist (forgive me anyone I forget to mention). @flaggskull had a Rampage cart that bent a pin. The cart was then known as the evil cart.

It struck me how thoughtful and constructive these people were, taking the time to pick a lot of specific carts from their collections, to then drive them upto PGRE, come to the stand and offer them up to be tested on the pre-release 2600+ machines. We went through them all together and were recording results in an excel in real time, this excel went straight to the factory and helped further cartridge compatibility. I'll never forget the experience.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I went to PGRE last year and we had some 2600+s on Atari Age stand. Some kind forum members turned up with boxes and boxes of carts to test compatibility, @flaggskull @littaum @swlovinist (forgive me anyone I forget to mention). @flaggskull had a Rampage cart that bent a pin. The cart was then known as the evil cart.

It struck me how thoughtful and constructive these people were, taking the time to pick a lot of specific carts from their collections, to then drive them upto PGRE, come to the stand and offer them up to be tested on the pre-release 2600+ machines. We went through them all together and were recording results in an excel in real time, this excel went straight to the factory and helped further cartridge compatibility. I'll never forget the experience.

Besides the unfortunate Rampage cartridge incident, it was a great time!  Looking forward to seeing everyone again next month.  BTW, I believe I had around 8 incompatible games that we tested and all but 1 now work with the latest experimental firmware.  GREAT JOB to all involved!   

-Chad

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

bent a pin. -Snip-

Ughh. The biggest issue I used to encounter in Semiconductor equipment in the early 90's.

Have pissed off really large customer that makes microprocessors call about issue on new tool I just got home from installing.

Drop everything

Fly to customer city

Rent car

Drive to customer site

Find bent pin in 5 min.

Fix pin

Argue with customer that it isn't warranty since they added their own stuff and their other supplier damaged it

Customer reluctantly signs Service report

Fly home

Take wife out to dinner since the trip ruined... some plans.

Regarding the 7800+. Other than the pause button, I think it is probably irrelevant since it is functionally identical to the 2600+, Plaion and Atari have to manage two products that do essentially the same thing.

I see it as only having value to a collector, or folks who prefer the look.

I cannot recall if I ever used the pause button on my 7800...:ponder:

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zonie said:

Regarding the 7800+. Other than the pause button, I think it is probably irrelevant since it is functionally identical to the 2600+, Plaion and Atari have to manage two products that do essentially the same thing.

I see it as only having value to a collector, or folks who prefer the look.

I cannot recall if I ever used the pause button on my 7800...:ponder:

Ironically enough, i think i might use the pause button more than i'd think i would tbh, i mean i'm a big fan of the later 2600 titles and 7800 games, but reflecting on this, i've had to stop playing a game to do something almost every time i swear :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

I am hoping to someday test Ikari Warriors 7800 myself not just because everything i say about it but, i think a few emulators tend to somehow make the grenade guys rapid fire their grenades at the same rate as machine guns, and looking at footage online from original 7800, thats not supposed to happen. So i'm kind of hoping i can eventually try it on my 1.0 2600+ and a 7800+ to see if that game suffers from "goblin mode grenade guys syndrome"

Behavior under the A7800 emulator matches real hardware for Ikari Warriors. 

If the ProSystem emulator, or an associated RetroPie/RetroArch port is being leveraged, there is a good chance there are indeed inaccuracies or/and inconsistencies with gameplay behavior.   

Keep in mind though, game behavior changes dependent on which of the four challenge settings is selected.  Be sure to compare apples to apples, not emulated game set to EXPERT, and online footage set to NOVICE, or some other mismatch challenge setting.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Will you be at PRGE again this year?