IGNORED

CX78 thumbstick snapped

carpets

7 hours ago, pjpj said:

That sucks :(  I'm worried this could eventually prove common with the plastic threading.

The threading is still in there. The shaft above it snapped. Thats how i learned its hollow in that part. I bet most of you will be ok, I think my son just got a little crazy with it. Gotta teach these kids about Atari. 

1 hour ago, carpets said:

The threading is still in there. The shaft above it snapped. Thats how i learned its hollow in that part. I bet most of you will be ok, I think my son just got a little crazy with it. Gotta teach these kids about Atari. 

I mean honestly, at least they make the controllers now, obviously yeah dont let them break everything that can be bought new. But at least now they can not treat every atari controller like a priceless artifact and just as something you dont wanna have replaced :D

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Yes, same happened to my original CX78 just this year, but that one was 30+ years old. :D At least I managed to unscrew the snapped threaded part. I wish both the inner and outer threads were made of metal on the new one.

If both parts are metal then the Joystick will unscrew itself easily, one part needs to be plastic as its somewhat self tapping

• Like 1

It would be nice if Atari/Plaion would offer replacement thumb sticks which people can buy online. Or even better, supply an STL-file of the thumb stick so people can 3d print their own spare thumb sticks (in any color they want 😉)

I was suprised to find out that most of my CX78 gamepads (the original ones) still have their thumb sticks, although they break just as easily. The 2 ones without thumb sticks I broke myself back in the day 😂

DSC04074.thumb.JPG.9d28b1938a37d1aa1f78e619b3843543.JPG

Edit: I saw that someone already made STL-files of various models: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4658714 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6686570

Edited by Fred_M

20 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

I mean honestly, at least they make the controllers now, obviously yeah dont let them break everything that can be bought new. But at least now they can not treat every atari controller like a priceless artifact and just as something you dont wanna have replaced :D

I would honestly say to Atari regarding joysticks and controllers. Give them to kids to test, not adults. 💪🏻

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I would honestly say to Atari regarding joysticks and controllers. Give them to kids to test, not adults. 💪🏻

and me because honestly, i've broken more things than i can explain... maybe i am about as rough as a child anyways.

just saying atari... hire me and a bunch of children to get results!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

It would be nice if Atari/Plaion would offer replacement thumb sticks which people can buy online. Or even better, supply an STL-file of the thumb stick so people can 3d print their own spare thumb sticks (in any color they want 😉)

I was suprised to find out that most of my CX78 gamepads (the original ones) still have their thumb sticks, although they break just as easily. The 2 ones without thumb sticks I broke myself back in the day 😂

DSC04074.thumb.JPG.9d28b1938a37d1aa1f78e619b3843543.JPG

Edit: I saw that someone already made STL-files of various models: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4658714 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6686570

or maybe make the thread metal, i dont know i'm not an engineer but if its a hollow plastic piece, perhaps making it at least structually more sound and having the plastic thumbstick part replaced with metal, maybe that could work too?

Dunno...

On 8/23/2024 at 9:35 PM, carpets said:

Has anyone else managed to break theirs yet? I snapped this off playing Choplifter! My kids have been putting it through the ringer with Centipede. 

20240824_001800.jpg

FWIW, this happened to me just today. Trying to work out how I can get the fragment out of the controller so that I might apply the repair already described.

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If both parts are metal then the Joystick will unscrew itself easily, one part needs to be plastic as its somewhat self tapping

Oh lol how did i not see this response?

12 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

or maybe make the thread metal, i dont know i'm not an engineer but if its a hollow plastic piece, perhaps making it at least structually more sound and having the plastic thumbstick part replaced with metal, maybe that could work too?

Dunno...

I agree, the thread should have been metal.