IGNORED

New Atari game-Fatal Run 2089

jeremiahjt

My god that looks beautiful, I was already a fan of the original game for the 7800 but this sequel feels like it's going to be something truly special . 

A big budget Atari racing game, we haven't had one of those in a long time ( last one I think was Test Drive Unlimited 2 back in 2011 ) definitely excited to play it !

Edited by JPF997
  • Like 1

At least from the trailer, it does look cool. It's a shame if it's not coming out on the VCS, but judging from the graphics (if they're real in-game graphics) it might not be able to handle it.

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Atari released a trailer for Fatal Run 2089 today. It looks like there will not be a VCS 800 release.

https://youtu.be/kXausJuseIM?si=fyOcui7Ai2KmOiXP

Edit: I do like that they are doing something with Fatal Run.

This looks great. Thanks for sharing.

FR_2089.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JPF997 said:

My god that looks beautiful, I was already a fan of the original game for the 7800 but this sequel feels like it's going to be something truly special. 

A big budget Atari racing game, we haven't had one of those in a long time ( last one I think was Test Drive Unlimited 2 back in 2011 ) definitely excited to play it !

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

So cool, Fatal Run 7800 is one of my all time favorites, wish I'd known about it back in the day. No word yet on whether it is coming to the new VCS, hope so.

Yeah, Fatal Run on the 7800 is a winner I think.  Looking forward to seeing what all this new game brings to the table and glad that Atari is doing something with Fatal Run once again.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

At least from the trailer, it does look cool. It's a shame if it's not coming out on the VCS, but judging from the graphics (if they're real in-game graphics) it might not be able to handle it.

I had the privilege of seeing an alpha build video of this in action at CAX (I was hanging out with Jason Polanski of Atari and he showed this to me on his phone; I've been waiting to talk about it :P ).

He said it's Unreal Engine 5, but didn't say what platforms it would appear on. I don't know how well the VCS handles UE5, but my first guess is that it's due to a combination of low VCS ownership numbers and technical challenges in getting the game to run at a good frame rate. The footage he showed me, while early, was screaming along at what looked to be 90fps (looks more like 60 from the trailer).  

For myself, I'll have to bug Atari to give this over to Alan-1 so it can also be turned into an arcade machine at some point :D

• Like 7

Obviously the graphics are far superior but in terms of gameplay, I hope it's not as rushed, flawed and unenjoyable as the 2600 version. I've taken to banishing 2600 games I don't enjoy to a cupboard in a spare room and that went there recently.  

The closest to a consensus I can easily find over the 2600 and 7800 versions are whatever people have given the 2 versions on videogamecritic.com. The 2600 version gets a B- based on 6 votes and the 7800 version gets a C+ based on 43 votes.  So if the 2600 version is considered better than the 7800 version, although by a mere whisker, I'm not going to risk buying that one.

It's a cool concept though and I may get this version for my PS4, but what I would really like is if someone fixed the 2600 version and actually made it an enjoyable game.

• Like 1

Fatal run always reminded me of mad max, or death race. Looks like a racer rather than free roam like twisted metal (which Sony seems to be doing squat with now days) this will be a welcome addition to modern gaming.

2600 and 7800 are similar concepts, but due to ram limitations (likely) the 2600 game just attempts to ram you rather than shoot you. But there's a lot of technical impressiveness to it.

Ill see what systems this comes out on and get one if it comes to a console I own.

20 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

He said it's Unreal Engine 5, but didn't say what platforms it would appear on. I don't know how well the VCS handles UE5, but my first guess is that it's due to a combination of low VCS ownership numbers and technical challenges in getting the game to run at a good frame rate. The footage he showed me, while early, was screaming along at what looked to be 90fps (looks more like 60 from the trailer).  

The fact that they only mention the PS5/Xbox Series X|S,  and not the previous generation suggests it may require quite a bit of horsepower,   though the Switch is there too, so who knows?

1 hour ago, RollOut said:

Has anything been said that specifically excludes the possibility of a VCS 800 release, or is this a case like lunar lander beyond, where the absence of a confirmation led to a lot of speculation for several months?

The game being in Unreal Engine 5 and seemingly a bit of a graphics beast doesn't bode well for it coming to the VCS, but people obviously want it there. Nothing has been stated to date about availability on the VCS from Atari.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The game being in Unreal Engine 5 and seemingly a bit of a graphics beast doesn't bode well for it coming to the VCS, but people obviously want it there. Nothing has been stated to date about availability on the VCS from Atari.

If I have to get this on my Xbox Series S so be it, but Id much much prefer it coming out on the VCS like many people here. I hope this isnt a trend where future Atari releases will be omitted from the VCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyindrew said:

If I have to get this on my Xbox Series S so be it, but Id much much prefer it coming out on the VCS like many people here. I hope this isnt a trend where future Atari releases will be omitted from the VCS.

Given that production on the VCS has ceased for a while, VCS owners need to accept that the support days are numbered. There's not much of a financial incentive for Atari to continue to support it, at least not with games that are going to require more power to do right. I highly doubt that anyone would be happy just to have the game on the console if it's running at slightly-better-than-Myst level frame rates. 

17 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Given that production on the VCS has ceased for a while, VCS owners need to accept that the support days are numbered. There's not much of a financial incentive for Atari to continue to support it, at least not with games that are going to require more power to do right. I highly doubt that anyone would be happy just to have the game on the console if it's running at slightly-better-than-Myst level frame rates. 

Even if performance isn't an issue, games with large file sizes are an issue for the VCS too.    Especially if you have the stock 32Gb storage.   This might be a larger game.

• Thanks 1

I am excited about Fatal Run 2089. Apocalyptic car-combat games are my thing.

Battle Wheels (Lynx) needs a remake/reimagining, with vehicle destruction. For example, hit an opponent with a missile, blow off their armor and weapons — eventually disabling their ability to fight and maneuver. Make them a sitting duck!

Edited by Orange Lynx
Fixed spelling error.
  • Like 1