IGNORED

Is it worth to buy 7800+ if I have 2600+?

MarcinJ

Are they any advantages of having 7800+ if I already have 2600+? 
- I can still use wireless controllers.

- I hope all the cartridges will always be available for both. 
- Actually I like the look of 2600 more than 7800. I am not very much fond of 80s esthetics. 

9 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

Are they any advantages of having 7800+ if I already have 2600+? 
- I can still use wireless controllers.

- I hope all the cartridges will always be available for both. 
- Actually I like the look of 2600 more than 7800. I am not very much fond of 80s esthetics. 

Possible improvements to cart and peripherals due to some new hardware... TBC.

• Like 2

I also prefer the look of the 2600+. I suppose it's what you have the most nostalgia for really.

I'm not pre-ordering the 7800+ as I have a 2600+. I'll wait until the release and a review before even considering purchasing.

Apparently the 7800+ has an improved cartridge slot and changes to the dumper and controller chips.

I'm just wondering if this will mean it will be more compatible with games and current/future supported controllers than the 2600+?🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

I also prefer the look of the 2600+. I suppose it's what you have the most nostalgia for really.

I'm not pre-ordering the 7800+ as I have a 2600+. I'll wait until the release and a review before even considering purchasing.

Apparently the 7800+ has an improved cartridge slot and changes to the dumper and controller chips.

I'm just wondering if this will mean it will be more compatible with games and current/future supported controllers than the 2600+?🤔

It's gonna make your 2600+ feel like being stuck in the stone age !!! let the FUD begin !!! lol :)

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

I wish we would have some official statement from @Ben from Plaion, what are the plans for future. 🙂 Will Atari care for both 2600+ and 7800+ similarly? 

35 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

I wish we would have some official statement from @Ben from Plaion, what are the plans for future. 🙂 Will Atari care for both 2600+ and 7800+ similarly? 

Yes we will, thats the whole point of Atari creating the Atari+ platform. Machines, games and controllers that work accross the lineup. There are challenges with how the 2600+ dumper and controller chips work, that has been improved with the 7800+,  there is work going on to deal with the 2600+ to give parity - it maybe impossible with the current hardware configuration of the 2600+ so I'll have to think of ways to mitigate. An example of this thinking is the software and cartridge socket of the 2600+, both have been vastly improved since launch and are included on recent manufacturing runs of the 2600+. For existing day one purchases of the 2600+ I'm just about to do a FOC giveaway of IO PCBs on Atari Age that have the new updated cart socket. 

Bear in mind that the 2600+ is seen as a success at Plaion and Atari, there is confidence in the platform, we've generated sales above what was first anticipated and general positive sentiment from users and social media interaction that exceeded expectations, we do not want to squander this, we are onto a winning strategy and hence the solid carefully thought out step by step incremental new releases, with games and accessories followed up with the 7800+ are in my opinion the right way to go.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes we will, thats the whole point of Atari creating the Atari+ platform. Machines, games and controllers that work accross the lineup. There are challenges with how the 2600+ dumper and controller chips work, that has been improved with the 7800+,  there is work going on to deal with the 2600+ to give parity - it maybe impossible with the current hardware configuration of the 2600+ so I'll have to think of ways to mitigate. An example of this thinking is the software and cartridge socket of the 2600+, both have been vastly improved since launch and are included on recent manufacturing runs of the 2600+. For existing day one purchases of the 2600+ I'm just about to do a FOC giveaway of IO PCBs on Atari Age that have the new updated cart socket. 

Bear in mind that the 2600+ is seen as a success at Plaion and Atari, there is confidence in the platform, we've generated sales above what was first anticipated and general positive sentiment from users and social media interaction that exceeded expectations, we do not want to squander this, we are onto a winning strategy and hence the solid carefully thought out step by step incremental new releases, with games and accessories followed up with the 7800+ are in my opinion the right way to go.

This sounds to me like, going forward, the 7800+, due to the improvements, will have better compatibility eventually. 

Edited by tradyblix

22 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thanks for the clarification! This looks very promising.

I think I will wait for the new Atari 2600+ or hope to get an updated sockets and IO PCBs in an AA giveaway. ;-) I am really fond of my 2600+ and do not wish to replace it any time soon. I have a lot of fun with this device and it looks great with my living room furnitures. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thats not the intention.

But that's what it sounds like ? Am I wrong about that ? Otherwise why were hardware changes needed ?

Is it a sore topic ? I'm happy to drop it if it is, but people should be able to know this right ?

It doesn't affect me. I'm getting one anyway for the looks. 

Edited by tradyblix

5 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

But that's what it sounds like ? Am I wrong about that ? Otherwise why were hardware changes needed ?

Is it a sore topic ? I'm happy to drop it if it is, but people should be able to know this right ?

It doesn't affect me. I'm getting one anyway for the looks. 

Because the 2600+ was released at a moment in time, whats better, to release the 7800+ in exactly the same hardware and software spec as the launch 2600+ or to subtlely improve on it whilst trying to ensure 2600+ keeps getting the same upgrades. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Because the 2600+ was released at a moment in time, whats better, to release the 7800+ in exactly the same hardware and software spec as the launch 2600+ or to subtlely improve on it whilst trying to ensure 2600+ keeps getting the same upgrades. 

Makes sense to me. But that will lead to better compatibility because of those changes. Possibly. Which is what I was speculating on. Of course you guys will do your best... but yeah. hopefully those changes mean we can get some new controllers supported.

43 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

For existing day one purchases of the 2600+ I'm just about to do a FOC giveaway of IO PCBs on Atari Age that have the new updated cart socket.

This would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

7 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Makes sense to me. But that will lead to better compatibility because of those changes. Possibly. Which is what I was speculating on. Of course you guys will do your best... but yeah. hopefully those changes mean we can get some new controllers supported.

You know that for technical matters here on AA you all basically get real time information, there is hardly anything thats kept back. It is what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Bear in mind that the 2600+ is seen as a success at Plaion and Atari,

this is really great news.  sounds like you guys are really doing a great job and it's great to see and hear that people are responding.

makes future prospects very exciting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

It's gonna make your 2600+ feel like being stuck in the stone age !!! let the FUD begin !!! lol :)

Yeh, I get that. What about 2600+ owners thou.

Are we being forced to upgrade for the best compatibility? 🤔

I think this strategy is perfect @Ben from Plaion

Those who bought the 2600+ as it was are happy with it, most of us anyway. The experimental update program has been a huge achievement so far, all my classic carts work. So much has already been done, for free. 

If, because of the success of the machine it is now possible to iterate on it and improve it then great, do it! If you also try to implement any upgrades on the original release 2600+ then that's a nice bonus, I hope it can be done, but if not, we all have the option to get it on eBay, gift it, use it in another room. It's already very compatible, it's not like it's a piece of junk.

Early adopters often get a slightly inferior product, but have enjoyed the product for longer, so value has already been had. 

I am buying a 7800+ and hope that my 2600+ will be able to be updated to work as well as it, if not it may become a gift for my Dad, and I will get an updated 2600+. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yeh, I get that. What about 2600+ owners thou.

Are we being forced to upgrade for the best compatibility? 🤔

Well, I guess it's too early to really say and we'll find out here as both devices are updated over time. 

I was trying to probe for more specifics, but the answer is we already know everything there is to know, so ...

Currently I can already play everything, with one exception, on the 2600+ and so until that changes... Not much to really say.

One advantage you can say the 2600+ has is that is has "wood" and it has a light up logo. 

I've had no real problems (yet) with my socket but I'm getting the new version and I'll update here if find any changes. 

Edited by tradyblix