IGNORED

Updated cartridge socket giveaway

Ben from Plaion

10 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

The existing ribbon cables can't be used?

There are two versions of the original IO PCB with a slightly different position to the ribbon socket, I think the Lever PCBs also have 2 positions depending on the manufacture batch. Thus I will supply two slightly longer ribbons so any configuration will work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

17 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There are two versions of the original IO PCB with a slightly different position to the ribbon socket, I think the Lever PCBs also have 2 positions depending on the manufacture batch. Thus I will supply two slightly longer ribbons so any configuration will work.

Thanks for the info! I will update the small IO board replacement tutorial with this info.

• Thanks 3

Thanks again for the giveaway Ben.

If I am not wrong the only other difference between first batch 2600+ consoles and second batch (and 7800+) is the dumper chip.

What are practical changes? Perhaps dumping speed?

59 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm just waiting on some ribbon cables. Once they turn up I will DM everyone and send them out. Thanks

Thank you so much. It really means a lot. I never seen a developer offer so much support for a product. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Thanks again for the giveaway Ben.

If I am not wrong the only other difference between first batch 2600+ consoles and second batch (and 7800+) is the dumper chip.

What are practical changes? Perhaps dumping speed?

No, the slot is different too. 

I already tried to get this out of him but he seemed reticent to talk about it. Probably doesn't want a mass freakout/internet panic from folks that NEED the latest and greatest. 

Ultimately, we'll find out here if it turns out the 7800+ supports more games. Which is my suspicion. That it will. But we'll see. 

Edited by tradyblix

On 8/28/2024 at 8:15 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Fantastic and thank you, Ben! 

On 8/28/2024 at 8:21 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

All finished, this competition is now closed.

This competition gesture is very much appreciated!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mksmith said:

Update: missed only by a day now I've read the full post 😂😂😊

I've probably missed this but anyway here's my pic! Thanks Ben 😊

17249647321178893044982211920841.jpg

Nice! Threshold is one of my favs. Always nice to see the cart in someone else’s collection.

33 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Nice! Threshold is one of my favs. Always nice to see the cart in someone else’s collection.

Yes - I had it as a kid and we played it a lot! It's also orange and shaped different 😁 so a nice one to have! Unfortunately, the label is not the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Will kits ever be sold so that those of us who have the original, inferior socket can upgrade ours to what people who buy new stock are getting? 

This would be ideal since I have 2 Atari 2600+ consoles.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

Will kits ever be sold so that those of us who have the original, inferior socket can upgrade ours to what people who buy new stock are getting? 

I'm thinking about it, @Albert offered to list them for sale on Atari Age store, but I need some time as I dont know if its feasible to do more to the IO PCB for the 2600+ over the simple cart socket upgrade ie to include an additional rework of the dumper and controller MCU that is in the 7800+. Its complicated as it will mean deviating update processes for the 2600+ between stock IO PCBs and upgraded ones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm thinking about it, @Albert offered to list them for sale on Atari Age store, but I need some time as I dont know if its feasible to do more to the IO PCB for the 2600+ over the simple cart socket upgrade ie to include an additional rework of the dumper and controller MCU that is in the 7800+. Its complicated as it will mean deviating update processes for the 2600+ between stock IO PCBs and upgraded ones.

If it can be done, I was being serious.  :)

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Its complicated as it will mean deviating update processes for the 2600+ between stock IO PCBs and upgraded ones.

So it looks like there will be a difference between the 7800+ and the 2600+?

At least they will need different updates?

Am I interpreting this correctly?