IGNORED

Colecovision Almost-like-magic BASIC compiler: CVBasic v0.7.0 (now with TI-99/4A support!)

Hi everyone!

CVBasic the integer BASIC cross-compiler for Colecovision gets even better.

Version 0.6.0 implemented support for 1 MB of ROM in CVBasic, and also targets Sord M5, Memotech MTX, and Vtech Creativision/Dick Smith's Wizzard.

And now this version adds support for Tatung Einstein, Casio PV2000, Hanimex/Soundic Pencil II, and *badum-tsss* Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. This one is a TMS9900-based machine, and the port is courtesy of @Tursi, including a separate TMS9900 support library.

As always, you can target the eleven systems just by changing a switch in compilation! Z80, 6502, and TMS9900! All this without changing a line of source code.

Try it just compiling the example programs and get them running on any of these systems! (bank-switching example only runs in selected platforms).

The TI-99/4A port requires the 32K expansion RAM, and the program is limited to 24K. For assembling your program, you need to invoke xas99 -R (download from xdt99 tools https://github.com/endlos99/xdt99) and use http://js99er.net or the Classic99 emulator (putting the OBJ file into a DSK folder).

Changes in v0.7.0:

* Added support for Tatung Einstein using the switch --einstein

* Added support for Casio PV2000 using the switch --pv2000

* Added support for Hanimex/Soundic Pencil II using the switch --pencil

* Added support for Texas Instruments TI-99/4A using the switch --ti994a

* Protected the AY-3-8910 mixer so you don't need to worry anymore of putting the correct bits 6-7.

Enjoy it!

CapturadePantalla2024-09-02ala(s)18_35_21.thumb.png.1d5fecacd2ad6ad588e8c96da251dd17.png

cvbasic_v0.7.0.zip

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The TI99/4A support makes this a bit more interesting.

I wish we had something to go the other way.  Take TI XB and compile it to CV etc.

Even better would be the GEM / Compiled XB to CV.

Still a great tool for people to create something for these consoles and computers.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 1:02 AM, 1980gamer said:

I wish we had something to go the other way.  Take TI XB and compile it to CV etc.

Even better would be the GEM / Compiled XB to CV.

A source code converter might be doable, depending on how advanced things you can accomplish in Extended BASIC (or its sequels). To decompile something and output source code for a different dialect sounds like a big thing to ask. Can you already today decompile XB to source code?

4 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

Nabu? I've never heard of that one, but lately I've been introduced to a LOT of obscure ColecoVision-y computers and game systems that I never knew existed.

Nabu was almost entirely localized to Ottawa, Canada. It connected to the cable TV network to download software ;)

• Like 1