IGNORED

Atari hardware rankings

JPF997

After everything I've played these past couple of years my current rankings for each Atari system are the following:

1 - Atari ST ( Falcon included )

2 - Atari 8 bit family ( 5200 included )

3- Atari VCS ( 2021 )

4- Atari Jaguar 

5- Atari 7800

6- Atari 2600

7- Atari Lynx 

• Like 2

What are you basing these "rankings" on? What criteria do you use to determine one system is better than the other? I ask because no sane person would put the Lynx at the bottom of the list (especially not behind the 5200).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sauron said:

What are you basing these "rankings" on? What criteria do you use to determine one system is better than the other? I ask because no sane person would put the Lynx at the bottom of the list (especially not behind the 5200).

The quality of the Game library, nothing more nothing else,  many people get sidetracked talking about hardware issues or controller issues or other mundane stuff that frankly is a lot less  important  than the quality of the actual games themselves.

My favourite 5200 games are the following :

Space Invaders 5200

Berzerk 5200

Ms. Pac-Man 

Centipede 5200

Missile Command 5200

Defender 

For the Lynx it would be :

Double Dragon Lynx 

California Games 

Rampage 

Pac-Land 

Road blasters 

Desert Strike 

Edited by JPF997

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

The quality of the Game library, nothing more nothing else,  many people get sidetracked talking about hardware issues or controller issues or other mundane stuff that frankly is a lot less  important  than the quality of the actual games themselves.

Controller issues are hardly mundane, as they have a very real effect on the playability of a system. Just because you plenty everything through emulation doesn't negate the real aspects of these consoles. You're obviously free to create whatever arbitrary lists you'd like, but at least be upfront about what you're judging.

3 hours ago, JPF997 said:

The quality of the Game library, nothing more nothing else

Should probably have been titled "game library rankings" then instead of "hardware rankings" then, to help avoid any pointless bickering about controllers and such.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Should probably have been titled "game library rankings" then instead of "hardware rankings" then, to help avoid any pointless bickering about controllers and such.

Well I can't exactly change the title now, and it's also important to note that Hardware is just the tools needed to access the software, if you can access the software without owning the original hardware (making use of emulation, FPGA etc) it still counts in my book.

Edited by JPF997

15 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Well I can't exactly change the title now, 

True, you done went and stepped in it. 😊. Best get your "romantic interpretations" card ready.

15 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

and it's also important to note that Hardware is just the tools needed to access the software, if you can access the software without owning the original hardware (making use of emulation, FPGA etc) it still counts in my book.

Meh, disagree here but that's ok.  Hope that mentality doesn't catch on or we'll be seeing things like car rankings where the actual car doesn't matter since I can walk or ride a bike to travel the same roads.

On 9/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, JPF997 said:

After everything I've played these past couple of years my current rankings for each Atari system are the following:

1 - Atari ST ( Falcon included )

2 - Atari 8 bit family ( 5200 included )

3- Atari VCS ( 2021 )

4- Atari Jaguar 

5- Atari 7800

6- Atari 2600

7- Atari Lynx 

I'm reporting this post for offensive content!!! Hahah...

This feels a lot like ranking your children... 

Atari 2600

Atari VCS

Atari Jaguar

Atari 7800

Atari ST

For me, it was all about the 2600 because that's what I grew up with in the early 80s before we got an NES. So, I'd put the 2600 at the top. I would then put the Atari VCS second because it's a newer system, I can buy games on it, and love many of the games that are on there, and there's just so much more "interaction" with it. Then third, the Jaguar because I went through that phase hard-core... and came out of it with a modest library that I'll end up keeping. The 7800 next because it was the system I wanted before it was pulled from shelves, and then re-issued (but I'd already moved on to the NES). I have one, and loved how most of the games were PC ports. And of course, the Atari ST, because I played many Sierra games on the MEGA4 ST.

• Like 2

#1 Toss up between ST and 8-bit.   Both have amazing, extensive game libraries.   I think the ST has the best library overall, but the 8-bit is a little better suited for gaming

#3 Lynx

#4 2600

#5 Jaguar

#6 5200 (due to hardware issues and limited library)

#7 7800 

• Like 5

I can't really rank the systems myself, I love all of them except for the 5200. So my ranking system would look something like this:

1. 2600, 7800, XL/XE, ST, Lynx, Jaguar (in no particular order)

7. 5200

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2024 at 3:02 AM, Sauron said:

I can't really rank the systems myself, I love all of them except for the 5200. So my ranking system would look something like this:

1. 2600, 7800, XL/XE, ST, Lynx, Jaguar (in no particular order)

7. 5200

Any particular reason you don't like the 5200?

Bad release of the controllers, too big of a system? etc?

7 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

No he's probably trolling because he knows I'm a big 5200 fan, he  secretly enjoys playing it but is too proud to admit it 😏

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

No he's probably trolling because he knows I'm a big 5200 fan, he  secretly enjoys playing it but is too proud to admit it 😏

Haha... the 5200 is a sore spot for me.

My brother got one for Christmas the year it came out... we were all excited and I was blown away by the 5200 PacMan graphics. Then I was horribly upset when we couldn't actually control PacMan because the controllers seemed to get stuck (or stay) in one location... as in, didn't self-center. We couldn't play it, and my mom returned it... never to buy it again. I was so sad... :( 

Hahah...

• Like 1

European Commodore and Sinclair fanboi here, so my "favourites" can only date a decade or so back. In the old days, we were frenemies with ]|[ (without any real malice, though).

1) ST  - "Amiga rulez !1!!", but over the years I got interested in this machine and even acquired a real 1040. Some great games and technical features (especially considering the price).

2) 8-bit - we used to taunt the blocky gfx in my Spectrum days, but recently I learned about its early origins and the blockbusting library. Have a 65XE at home.

3) 2600 - never had nor seen one live bitd, but thanks to MiSTer I played a lot of its games recently, and they are quite amazing for the time

4) Jaguar - reading about AvP in the mags made me drool (big FPS & Alien fan) but that's about it

5) 7800 - Commando on 7800 is probably my favourite version, but I haven't played many other games

6) 5200, Lynx - know next to nothing about them, on my "to try" list

Guess this is subjective and to each his own regarding preferences, but here is mine:

1.)XEGS-Very unique for its time. Enjoy detachable keyboard, ability to play all 8 bit games by cart or add on.

2.) 2600/2600+-Games simple and fun. 2600 + did a great job modernizing the original.

3.) Atari VCS- Very under rated, unappreciated system. Enjoy the ability to play classics, new games as well as stream media and use it as a PC.

4.) 5200-Playing this system makes me feel like its 1983 again with its early 80s design and great arcade ports from that time.

5.) Jaguar- Cybermorph and Doom give me those early-mid 1990s vibes

6.) 7800- Enjoying a renaissance as of late. Original titles are so-so, but enjoy awesome home brews.

7.)Video Pinball- My original Atari system. Great Breakout port

8. ) Lynx- Awesome hardware. Games kinda so so at best. 

9.) 400 mini- Great idea but something about it seems a bit off.

Edited by Flyindrew

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

It begins and ends with the controllers, but the system being too big is another valid criticism. It was also way too expensive for what it was when it was released. If I had gotten a 5200 before owning an Atari 8-bit computer, I might have a slightly more nuanced view of the system, but that wasn't the case. I just don't see any reason to own one.

3 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Although you're the king of bad hot takes, you're far from my least favorite member on here. You mean well even if you can't help yourself. 

• Like 3

I'm gonna give MY Rankings!   *Based on What I wanna write right now)

#1  TIE ATARI 7800   and ATARI TRUE VCS 2600

Edited by GoldLeader
Just #1 for Me, You'll have to imagine the rest...If you're not First you're Last!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/29/2024 at 9:44 PM, JPF997 said:

7- Atari Lynx 

Grrrrrr!

Spoiler

Woorf-grrr-Arrf-artari-warf 7800 -grr-woof- nogames-???- grr-grr-

5200 -arf-arf but grr-grr ‘n whimper nojoyStick-bone woohrf Lynx Arfwroof Lynx-hardware —- Ooooohhh!-oohhh! arf-arf-arf, Woohff-arf Lynx-games -oooh- ooooh -ooohhh & Arf & arf!!

-Atari VCS wroohf whimper, VCS whimper - chomp-chomp-chomp, 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1