IGNORED

Defender 2K vs Protector

someguy

I bought Protector back in January, and really like it. I've only seen screenshots of D2K. I have thought of buying D2K but it usually auctions off on EBay for almost as much as a brand new copy of Protector.

Last month I lucked out and picked up a copy of D2K from EBay for only $20. It arrived yesterday and I spent a few hours playing it last night.

I have to say - I think it's a bit of a let-down. I think Protector is a much better version of Defender than D2K.

Anyone else agree? Disagree?

I haven't yet had the opportunity to play Protector, and I'll probably end up buying the special edition when it's available later, and it is supposed to have a lot of differences in it (basic gameplay will be intact though-it's just improvements and new graphics). But, I do have D2K and I really enjoy it myself. If I want to play something closer to the original, Defender Plus is right on the bulls eye. Plus, there is the original to play too. I personally like the 2000 version myself, and I'm very good at it, which is a reason many don't like it; it's too difficult for them. I do admit that I used the radar just as much as the actual game area, but not more like others have said is the case.

I'm sure I'll like Protector too, and it will be a happy addition to my collection for it's unique traits. Maybe I will like it better too, but I know for sure the music isn't as good. :P I do like the idea of the more realistic look to the screens over the psychodelic look of Defender Plus or even D2K(on some levels).

Regardless, D2K is the official update, approved by Williams themselves, and the Atari legend: Minter, programmed it and it should be a part of any serious Jagger's collection (as I believe to be true of any of the 2000/3D updates-with the originals).

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Personally, I've never really liked the Defender series.

I do own Defender 2K, but I'd have to say that I play the classic mode more than the other two. Don't get me wrong, I like Jeff Minter's work, but the D2K mode is simply too fast and frantic for its own good. Your ship is so big and your line of sight is so limited, you spend most your time checking out the radar screen.

Love those particle explosions though!!

I like Protector better than Defender 2K. I actually never liked the 2K mode and wished the plus mode would have been more like StarGate. The only part of Defender 2K that I liked was the classic port of Defender which I thought was well done.

Don't get me wrong, I love Yak games like Tempest 2K but for some reason the Defender 2K just did not do it for me. I like Protector better probably because its more like the classic Defender.

I have both Defender 2000 and Protector but I haven't had an opportunity to play either of them very long. I didn't even know Protector was a Defender clone until I sat down to play it to take some screenshots for AtariAge. Needless to say, I was quite pleasantly surprised!!

Defender 2K was so damn fast it was difficult for me to control. I'm sure over time I'd get used to it, but I just haven't had the chance to play it for very long. The Defender Plus mode was rather bizarre and I felt right at home in the Defender Classic mode. I was able to have fun witih Protector as soon as I started playing.

I will get back to these two games(and many other Jaguar titles) at some point, but not before I move in two weeks and things settle down a bit for me. Realistically I probably won't get to play them until we get the Lynx section online.

I had no idea there was a Protector Special Edition coming along. What new features is that going to add?

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I had no idea there was a Protector Special Edition coming along. What new features is that going to add?

..Al

Well then, I guess you better head over to the Songbird site and read about it!

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

Well then, I guess you better head over to the Songbird site and read about it!

Okay, you got me. I went over to the Songbird site to take a look. Here's their summary:

Protector: Special Edition is a new, enhanced version of Protector that will be jam-packed with all kinds of goodies to make this top 10 fan favorite even better! Possible features include an exclusive JagFest 2001 group picture, JagFree CD to enable future Jaguar CD software, new waves, new enemies, new landscapes, gameplay enhancements, and more! This is one Special Edition you won't want to miss.  

Sounds good!

..Al

• 2 years later...

Well this looked topical, with the other thread...

Also, Carl, did you ever release the cheats and eggs for Protector

(SE) Special Edition, I do not seem to have them, and they do not

appear to be included in the JAGFAC etc.. Please englighten AA!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I bought Protector back in January, and really like it.  I've only seen screenshots of D2K.  I have thought of buying D2K but it usually auctions off on EBay for almost as much as a brand new copy of Protector.

Last month I lucked out and picked up a copy of D2K from EBay for only $20.  It arrived yesterday and I spent a few hours playing it last night.

I have to say - I think it's a bit of a let-down.  I think Protector is a much better version of Defender than D2K.  

Anyone else agree?  Disagree?

icon_eek.gif

I really do love them both, and comparing 'modern modes' I much prefer protector to defender 2000, HOWEVER, the classic mode in Jag Defender 2000 is my favorite defender type game ever made. So, for me, d2k is miles better simply because of the classic mode.

Well, since your digging up these old threads anyway JustClaws, I suppose I'll give my 2 cents on D2K vs. Protector:SE now, I didn't have Protector before as you may have read above. Now that I've had both for a while, I can honestly say that I apparently feel EXACTLY the opposite of what most people seem to feel; I Prefer D2K over Protector, and in fact I find Protector to be a much more difficult game to play than D2K! I can easily score in the millions on D2K and go through dozens and dozens of levels without a problem, but with Protector I can only make it to about level 8 without the cheats, I find it harder to control, I don't care at all for the stupid Asteriod storms which seem totally pointless to me and only cause me to use up my sheilds or die. The music and graphics are both far superior in D2K IMHO, though Protector has good graphics too. Both are good games I guess, but I apparently suck at Protector and am a master at Defender 2K. I'm sure I could get better at Protector in time, but I just don't get the urge to play it like I did/do with D2K which keeps me coming back for more, therfore I get better. I pretty much only use my P: SE cart for CDbypass...Sorry Carl, I do like the game, and I love all my other Songbird games, but Protector just does not do it for me like D2K.

Sorry Carl, I do like the game, and I love all my other Songbird games, but Protector just does not do it for me like D2K.

No problem, there are some things about Protector which could have been improved in hindsight, and D2K definitely has some coolness to it. But I'm still quite pleased with Prot SE overall, and am glad so many fans have really enjoyed the game. :D

I do play it on occasion, and enjoy it when I do, but it just usually gets used more for CD bypass. Who knows, I might have even felt different about it if I had played Protector first, but years of D2K just made it my preference. I certainly don't dislike protector overall, not the way people seem to dislike Defender 2K. This isn't an apology, it's just to let people know that Protector is a good game, but I prefer D2K like some people prefer Wolfenstein to Doom or vice versa.

Can't remember' date=' do you have Protector or Protector SE (or both)?[/quote']

Well, I've got 2 copies of Protector, and a Protector SE Carl!

I just wish it was the other way round though... :-(

Want to swap? :roll:

I'm sure Protector must be pretty RARE now at Songbird HQ.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Cool, thanks for the reply. Gameplay commentaries aside, I think you'd definitely find Prot SE more polished than the first Protector, but probably still not as polished (from an A/V perspective) as D2K. They sure squeezed a lot of nice audio and sprites into that D2K cart, Prot SE was already nearly busting at the seems and I have mostly 8-bit color graphics and limited MOD files for music.

Maybe Kevin will loan you his for a few days if you ever want to see the improvements. ;)

• 9 years later...

And here's a handy link to Jungle Guide #1 in our store (of course, you can also get it from Songbird). icon_smile.gif

..Al

Okay so I know no-one likes a thread from the crypt...but you all seem to like new threads on previously discussed topics even less so here goes.

I recently got Protector SE in the mail and while I appreciate it's greats graphics, am finding it to be pretty difficult. As in I can't get past the first wave(5 levels) without losing all my lives..

The above link to a strategy guide is long dead, and I was wondering if anyone else knew where I might track it down. I didn't have any luck with google. Thanks.

Okay so I know no-one likes a thread from the crypt...but you all seem to like new threads on previously discussed topics even less so here goes.

I recently got Protector SE in the mail and while I appreciate it's greats graphics, am finding it to be pretty difficult. As in I can't get past the first wave(5 levels) without losing all my lives..

The above link to a strategy guide is long dead, and I was wondering if anyone else knew where I might track it down. I didn't have any luck with google. Thanks.

Hah! Yeah, that is an old thread... 13 years ago, damn.

But to answer the 13 year old question, I like both of them... I think Defender 2000 is pretty awesome. The music is very aggressive in that it gets you really on-edge. My wife would get stressed when I would play it... she would be like "OMG, that music is crazy... I'm stressed out just listening to you play it." But once you get used to the controls, the game can be really easy with practice.

Protector and Protector SE (I bought both), is a bit more like a really good version of the original with modern graphics and sound. The music is a bit less insane, but the ship is smaller, so you do have more room to navigate and make decisions.

Yeah I know you're point. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. And not everyone minds old threads. Some of the old threads are more informative and interesting than almost all the new ones. Do what you want.