IGNORED

Defender 2K vs Protector

someguy

Yeah I know you're point. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. And not everyone minds old threads. Some of the old threads are more informative and interesting than almost all the new ones. Do what you want.

Yeah, I don't know why some people dislike old threads. Honestly, I can think of nothing wrong with posting to an old thread, I think it's much better. You're simply compounding information in one place, there-by making that single thread more valuable to the next person who's going to make a post. Plus, it gives us the chance to see what we posted (and what people were thinking) a decade ago... way better in my opinion.

• Like 2

There's not an inherent problem with rising long-dead threads from the grave if there's something worth saying or it helps put some new info you have in better context, for example.

Do what you want

... isn't quite how it works

maybe someone still has his js2 moderator hat on :lol:

Better advice: Do what's sensible and respectful to other users. We've had bouts of people with nothing better to do with their time than read 10 year old threads and comment on them and while that might be fun for them it's not good forum etiquette for obvious reasons. Albert commented on this in the past, there was a plan to prevent it but as many of us know, he's an incredibly busy guy and stuff like that isn't always going to get high up the Things To Do list when there are games to be released and forum updates to install, oh and that thing called real life that gets in the way, too, etc.

EDIT: Found the thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198256-atari-age-necrobump-policy/

It sounds like more of a load on the server issue than anything else. And his statement that old threads can be resurrected if need be does not indicate its bad etiquette. Just a server load policy.

There's not an inherent problem with rising long-dead threads from the grave if there's something worth saying or it helps put some new info you have in better context, for example.

... isn't quite how it works

maybe someone still has his js2 moderator hat on :lol:

Better advice: Do what's sensible and respectful to other users. We've had bouts of people with nothing better to do with their time than read 10 year old threads and comment on them and while that might be fun for them it's not good forum etiquette for obvious reasons. Albert commented on this in the past, there was a plan to prevent it but as many of us know, he's an incredibly busy guy and stuff like that isn't always going to get high up the Things To Do list when there are games to be released and forum updates to install, oh and that thing called real life that gets in the way, too, etc.

EDIT: Found the thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198256-atari-age-necrobump-policy/

And who determines 'what's worth saying'. We've had heated debates about THAT in the past.

Such as how can someone, short of being directly name called be disrespected by resurrecting an old thread? Short of Albert if he determines its an absolute no no and drain on his system.

And his statement that old threads can be resurrected if need be does not indicate its bad etiquette.

No? I read it as meaning that if there was a good reason to resurrect something long-dead that it'd be allowed, otherwise it wouldn't. But yes, his comments there were relating to server load, that wasn't actually the post I was looking for when I linked to it with my edit. Oh well.

And who determines 'what's worth saying'. We've had heated debates about THAT in the past.

Have you? That sounds fun. It's more a matter of what's not worth saying when it comes to old thread bumping, and the people you're searching for would be the forum moderators.

My thoughts, for what they're worth, would be that if you're continually bumping old threads and adding nothing more than "yeah, I agree" or "oh how great the good old days were" to an 8-year-old-post you're going to attract their attention for obvious reasons - it's happened in the past. Make a necrobump post and bring some new information to the conversation after having first searched for the most relevant topic and having made sure your information hasn't already been posted, then yes, it's less likely to be an issue and would in fact be welcome. It's just common sense. Shouldn't you already know this with your wealth of experience as a moderator?

Such as how can someone, short of being directly name called be disrespected by resurrecting an old thread? Short of Albert if he determines its an absolute no no and drain on his system.

You're wandering off into some pretty weird territory there, I have no idea what point you're struggling to make or why. If you have a problem with anyone's posts or actions, report them to a moderator.

If you can't see a problem with someone joining AA and hitting reply on a succession of long-dead threads just to add fluff then I'm not sure how I can change your mind. It's happened before and it disrupts the flow of a forum, particularly if it's a fairly slow-moving one such as the Jaguar forum can be at times. It's by no means a matter of "do what you like" as you suggested.

My disrespect comment that you claim was going off into weird territory was a response to your 'do what's respectful to others'.

Yeah I see problems with someone resurrecting long dead threads just to add fluff the same way I see them responding to current threads just to add fluff. And some of the former and a lot of the latter goes on around here. We all hope that everyone has something thoughtful and insightful to add to every discussion. That goes without saying.

There's a huge difference between resurrecting zombie threads just to be annoying, and doing it because the old topic pertains to what you want to discuss. This particular topic is clearly in the latter.

• Like 3

on the original topic :P if it's possible for music to ruin a game, protector sure makes a case for that. also prefer protector over SE, so I just wish the attention would've been focused on the sound when the decision was made to "improve" the game.

Edited by Willard

I am the original creator of this thread from back in 2001. (I moved and forgot the password to 'someguy' so ended up creating a new account.)

I have no problem with anyone 'resurrecting' this old thread - it's a really good one! ;)

If I have any more old threads you'd like to resurrect, please feel free to do so.

Nobody said there was a problem with bumping this thread, rather the phrase "do what you like" when it comes to bumping old threads when that's not the best advice.

Anyway, back on topic:

Multiple accounts! Infidel! Ban him!!1111

:P

Well on a side note I am getting a lot better at Protector SE, despite that old strategy guide never surfacing. This thread has also made me really want to pick up D2K and even the original edition of Protector.

@Willard- Have to agree the music gets a bit tedious rather quickly

I think both Protector SE and Defender 2000 are excellent games, but overall I find you get more bang for your buck with D2K. With D2k you get Classic, Plus and 2000 modes, along with the awesome D2k soundtrack, warp levels and the hidden game, Plasma Pong. Defender Plus by itself is comparable to Protector SE. While Protector SE may initially be more accessible than D2K mode, once you figure out all the nuances of D2K and get into the zone, it is a much deeper and rewarding experience.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

The thing about Defender Plus is, although it's my favourite of the 3 on that cart, I find that the ship animation for UP and DOWN being implemented wrongly stupidly distracting!!!

How the f*ck that did that even happen...?

Also, I wish D2K ran smoother. It should be a rock solid 60fps to be honest, which from memory, it really isn't.

-

Short answer: I prefer Protector, but don't own the original; I only own SE.