IGNORED

"Atari: 80 Classic Games in One " for the pc rocks

NE146

Haven't seen this mentioned much so I just thought I'd say that this $19.99 collection for the pc is AWESOME. We've all seen the Activision 2600 collections, but this is the first time I've seen an "official" collection of all the ATARI titles.

It has pretty much everything including scanned manuals, boxes, flyers, paraphenilia etc. for each game including the comics (with several props going out to AtariAge I might add :P). And while I haven't put too much time into it, at first glance from what I can tell the emulation is very good. I played Circus Atari and other paddle games no problems w/ the mouse. Sound was great...etc. Although obviously it doesn't have EVERY Atari game (e.g. no basketball), it does seem very comprehensive for what it does have. For example, I couldn't believe they included games such as Basic Programming in there along with the manual and customized mapped keys (ditto for Star Raiders). :lol: It's great! :D

menu.jpg

menu2.jpg

And best of all it also has arcade games! They come out beautiful too.. although many of them have been released before in other collections, this is the first time I think I've seen Major Havoc amongst others. And it's really done well! I also think the control in several games (like Centipede, Millipede, and Major Havoc) is a LOT better than I could tweak out in Mame using the mouse. But I digress.. how about you just take a good look at this goodness. Yeah the real thing is still better, but you know this aint half bad at all for 2nd place :o

havoc.jpg

This is well worth the 20 bucks. What are you guys waiting for.. go snag one now! :D

Yeah obviously everyone here plays these games via emu's or the real thing. But like I said for the arcade games, the presentation is nice (like the Major Havoc control panel) mmm.. and the controls seem nice and tweaked :)

It is just a graphic of the control panel, right? You don't actually get to use the controls on the panel.... do you?

It's a pleasure to see some new games finally released, especially Liberator, Major Havoc and Black Widow.... The menu selection motif is rather nice too, interesting idea and refreshing change...

The box is a little... I don't know, first thing comes to mind is boring. Whats inside is what counts and its anything BUT boring, and the price for 80 games is well worth it.

Curt

The box is a little... I don't know, first thing comes to mind is boring.     Whats inside is what counts and its anything BUT boring, and the price for 80 games is well worth it.

Definitely worth it for the price, you can't really beat that. The box seems to follow the styling Atari has used for many of these packages, so I'm not really surprised by it. They're really pushing the recognizable (although, uhmm, slightly modified) Atari logo, and the bright yellow and red should stand out. :)

..Al

Well at least the Info-Fuji is a bit more palettable then the Hasbro mess they came up with, looked like a Fuji with Brady Bunch bell-bottoms....

The Info-Fuji (as I've coined the term) looks more like an attempt to show that the center line is actually a sweeping out leg like the two side lines, making the Fuji appear more 3 dimension-ish... this was actually done in the Jaguar 64 Missile Command 3D game which a spinning 3D fuji. Also Mapping the Atari, by Compute! I believe has a wire framed 3D line fuji as well.

Curt

It is just a graphic of the control panel, right? You don't actually get to use the controls on the panel.... do you?

Yes you can. It has a magic technology where you wave your hand in front of the monitor and it's just like the actual arcade controls!

:P

Yes you can. It has a magic technology where you wave your hand in front of the monitor and it's just like the actual arcade controls!

Mmmmm..... someone needs to adapt that technology for playboy.com.

I notice this collection doesn't include arcade ports like Ms. Pac-Man or Phoenix. "Tis pity.

Whats inside is what counts and its anything BUT boring, and the price for 80 games is well worth it.

It would have been nice if they let us know what they were doing when they did it. for instance the URL to Curt's website is wrong (although it will get you to www.atarimuseum.com). In my case they displayed the 2nd edition of Phoenix, which was published in 1997. Although it was nice that they did it, they could have updated it to include the third edition (as well as print my current email address).

With emulators (legal or not) so easily available for all of this stuff on PCs, I would really expect them to have made this package for the consoles, not computers.

:?

Oh well... I suppose there's equal chance (0%) that we'll ever see this on either the Mac or GameCube, so I may as well just forget about it.

I notice this collection doesn't include arcade ports like Ms. Pac-Man or Phoenix.  "Tis pity.

I'm pretty sure that Atari / Infogrames doesn't own the rights to them any more.

Well, thanks to the fact that they got all of Hasbro's licenses, Atari does have the PC rights to the "Pac-Man" line. I wonder if that would have covered a PC release of the 2600 games, though...

Now this is an excellent package. They even included Major Havoc!!! Definitely worth the $20. The games are a lot more accurate playwise than MAME is, and you can actually PLAY Major Havoc with the mouse. In MAME, it's difficult to find the right setting, and even then, it's still hard to control Rex in the base levels.

Hats off to Infogrammes for this one. They finally got it right.

... I suppose there's equal chance (0%) that we'll ever see this on either the Mac ...

Didn't the official press release for this product say a MAC version was on the way? (Or am I thinking of the Activision remix?)

Anyway, the world NEEDS this release for MAC & PS2, at least!

-PongHit