IGNORED

Jaguar to PC

Mr_King

Guys, are you serious about the graphics comparison of the PC/SNES version with the Jaguar?

The Jaguar version is graphically superiour, and not just a little bit!

Maybe the use of the standard RF cable with the Jaguar garbles your view :)

Hey! My dad is from Holland... :)

Anyway, what game are you talking about... Power Drive Rally? Yeah, the Jaguar version is definitely better than the SNES version. It's got some enhancements over the basic PC version, but the graphics are otherwise the same if done on the same monitor.

Honestly... this would be an awesome game for Songbird Productions to make a CD version of... they could add back in the "Practice" game, and add rotary support for it. Might even be able to update the music track...

Yeah, should be super easy to port a PC game to the Jag without any source code...

• Like 2

Yeah, should be super easy to port a PC game to the Jag without any source code...

Read the previous posts... It's already on the Jaguar. it's just missing the "Practice" portion of the game... which Carl can pull from the existing Atari ST source code of the game.

Carl would get the source code because he would go through the same process he does with his other games. IE: contacting the company, developers, and getting the proper licensing agreement.

Yeah, the Jaguar version is definitely better than the SNES version. It's got some enhancements over the basic PC version, but the graphics are otherwise the same if done on the same monitor.

Nah. The SNES and PC (and MegaDrive and Amiga CD32) versions are almost the same and based on the same artwork as far as I can tell, bar resolution differences (especially noticeable on the weird SNES resolution, although it does have a nice Mode 7 level select screen). The artwork on the Jag version was redone, obviously at a higher colour depth (or, at the very least, more smoothly with less obvious colour stepping). See the comparison image I put together.

which Carl can pull from the existing Atari ST source code of the game.

Power Drive wasn't ever ported to the ST...?

Here's a good comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8evyhkahY

And the Jaguar version does have a Practice mode...right there on the title screen you press A.

post-31639-0-09349200-1492959925_thumb.png

Edited by skip
  • Like 2

Nah. The SNES and PC (and MegaDrive and Amiga CD32) versions are almost the same and based on the same artwork as far as I can tell, bar resolution differences (especially noticeable on the weird SNES resolution, although it does have a nice Mode 7 level select screen). The artwork on the Jag version was redone, obviously at a higher colour depth (or, at the very least, more smoothly with less obvious colour stepping). See the comparison image I put together.

Power Drive wasn't ever ported to the ST...?

Here's a good comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8evyhkahY

And the Jaguar version does have a Practice mode...right there on the title screen you press A.

Whhhaaaaaaaat??? There is a practice mode? I'll have to check it out. I'm going to feel really dumb if it was always there. I used to think that was one of the coolest parts.

Yeah, I had mentioned earlier that the Jaguar graphics looked like they had been "gussied up," but it's interesting with your comparison chart.

I almost think maybe I like the PC version better... I don't know. I played it a lot back in the day when it came out on "Multimedia CD" haha...

But having it on the Jaguar is very cool... definitely one of my favorite games on the Jag.

Being a little adversarial there, aren't you?

I don't think he is, just trying to ascertain what's real and what's alternative facts (i.e. Jag uses a different graphic tileset vs all other versions, there's no ST version unless...).

• Like 1

No, I'm genuinely interested as you stated the source is readily available from the developers so I figured you knew a lot about the game. Unless what you said wasn't true?

Hahah, ok... I thought it was pretty obvious when skip said "Power Drive wasn't ever ported to the ST..."

Hahah, ok... I thought it was pretty obvious when skip said "Power Drive wasn't ever ported to the ST..."

I thought it was pretty obvious when you talked about the Atari ST source code that it does in fact exist and that the developers still have it. Why else would you talk about it? Is there an unreleased proto that we aren't aware of? What is your source of information?

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty obvious when you talked about the Atari ST source code that it does in fact exist and that the developers still have it. Why else would you talk about it? Is there an unreleased proto that we aren't aware of? What is your source of information?

Dude, stop being a dick. It's clear your mastery of the Jaguar exceeds mine. I yield to your greatness.

So you post about an Atari ST version and how the source code is available from the developers and I'm in the wrong to question you? Makes sense.

No, my statement about getting the source code is still correct. Carl goes through a process of looking for games that are either almost finished, or that he can expand on... then reaches out to the developers and does it legally. The code for Power Drive Rally is already on the Jaguar. If all it was missing was a map, this is no big deal.

If you get this worked up about someone making a comment about an Atari Jaguar game... wow... you must be awesome to work with.

Owwww it just got interesting.

I believe madman just wanted 82-T/A to admit that his statement about the source code of an Atari ST port was completely unfounded, baseless and made up (I quote "which Carl can pull from the existing Atari ST source code of the game").

At the same time 82-T/A wants to defend his generic statement that Songbird gets source code from the developers whenever he can, and in doing so avoiding to admit that the bit about the "existing Atari ST source code" was completely unfounded, baseless and made up given there appears to be no ST port, whether that was said in good faith or not I do not know.

Me, I don't care, we heard worse and seen worse reactions .... and I am sleep deprived at the moment, not as bad as the drunken Yurkie that called names OpCode about the DK-arcade but I confess my judgment may be a little impaired at the moment.

I let myself making this useless post knowing well that both parties already "settled" into mutual silence so that no more flame will be added here. Or a mod would delete this post.

Either way I think I need to take a nap or something, I tend to bask too much in this kind of quarrels, I think I need a shrink.

• Like 2

Owwww it just got interesting.

I believe madman just wanted 82-T/A to admit that his statement about the source code of an Atari ST port was completely unfounded, baseless and made up (I quote "which Carl can pull from the existing Atari ST source code of the game").

At the same time 82-T/A wants to defend his generic statement that Songbird gets source code from the developers whenever he can, and in doing so avoiding to admit that the bit about the "existing Atari ST source code" was completely unfounded, baseless and made up given there appears to be no ST port, whether that was said in good faith or not I do not know.

Me, I don't care, we heard worse and seen worse reactions .... and I am sleep deprived at the moment, not as bad as the drunken Yurkie that called names OpCode about the DK-arcade but I confess my judgment may be a little impaired at the moment.

I let myself making this useless post knowing well that both parties already "settled" into mutual silence so that no more flame will be added here. Or a mod would delete this post.

Either way I think I need to take a nap or something, I tend to bask too much in this kind of quarrels, I think I need a shrink.

Hahaha... I don't care, I just wasn't going to give in because it was weird to me that it would be SOOOO important to him that I admit my error. I'm wrong all the time, I'm cool with it! I work with a lot of really smart people, some of them are introverted type-As that get triggered HARD... which is very unique. This situation reminded me of that, and I just couldn't help myself.

Yeah, I saw it somewhere on one of the websites when I was looking it up... I think I just assumed it was right, or I got it confused and maybe looked at somewhere else.

There would be no point anyway for Carl to pull the code from the developer, or make a new version anyway since it already has the practice in it... which for the life of me, I totally don't remember seeing!!! I've got to check it out in the next few days... I mean, how did I miss it! It's right there.

Not wanting to fuel any flames, but how hard would it have been to say, "whoops, no ST version, perhaps I was thinking about the Amiga version" or something.

The whole "pull code" thing perplexes me as it's making a bunch of assumptions. AFAIK, the only Jaguar games with code he's got and published are the Protector series. The rest (SH, RR, HF, SK, PZ etc) have all been binaries, but I could be mistaken.

Besides, I went to all that effort ;) of putting together a comparison image from multiple versions. It's clear as day to me that the artwork was almost completely reworked for the Jag version, albeit not in a "super dooper mega 64 bit wow" way, but a classier and smoother way. The Jaguar audio is fairly heavily reworked over the SNES, PC, Megadrive, and Amiga versions.

Anyway, back on topic, see my image and the Youtube link. The Jaguar version beats the PC version in a number of noticeable areas for this game. :)

• Like 2