IGNORED

Star Fire Elite Squadron!

Albert

Hi there!

Did you know that the difficulty settings in Star Fire are recognized on the fly? :wink:  

Greetings,

Manuel

Yep,

I just forget to switch BEFORE wave 8. (And switching during the wave is a killer- literally)

Regarding the "diamonds" - Is there an allotted amount for the entire game, or is it per wave?

Seems like if I don't use them in the first waves when I dont need 'em, I have more in later waves when I do. Maybe this is psychological.

Probably is... :)

Buck

I got my copy in the post today! Yay!

Also, to anyone who hasn't played this game on a VCS... buy this game NOW! Emulation doesn't do this game justice! The onscreen graphics are huge and the gameplay is simply amazing! I wish I had bought this a few months ago. :-)

I've found that when the game gets going really fast, the best thing to do is to dodge the fighters and bullets, and shoot the diamonds and boss targets as quickly as you can. I realize that I could change the difficulty on the fly, but I think it would throw me off a bit... plus, I gotta get my score up! :-)

@Manuel: This game is immaculate. I had no idea that it was going to play this good! :-) I think have a new favorite. It's funny how the homebrews are taking over my top ten list. :lolblue:

I captured this score about 1/2 hour ago, but I'm getting better as I play. My goal now is to top 6000. :-)

k

Great, glad to hear it arrived safely.  :-)

Thanks so much to you and Atariage for that! :-)

Quote:  

I captured this score about 1/2 hour ago, but I'm getting better as I play. My goal now is to top 6000.  

This I would like to see.

I suppose I should probably stick with trying to earn the patch first. I have been so close... so many times, but then I get attacked left and right... Kaboom!

I do have a strategy worked out though. So, maybe tomorrow I will be posting a new score worthy of a patch. :-)

Dang, this game is addictive!

3489 tonight. I was so close! I was in a really good groove, and then my phone rang!!! :x So, I left the game paused between levels, and then came back to it only to die rather quickly. :sad:

So, I think my strategy is working though... For the most part you wait to pick off the main targets on all the levels until you shoot out the fighter ships (sorry, I don't remember real names right now), using a slower and smoother target and then shoot technique. Don't just blast away, or your lazers will overheat! Anyways, this way you (hopefully) get near the maximum amount of points on a level, and you minimize your chance of getting blasted by the fighters who go into a frenzy after the main targets are shot. At first I was shooting a lot of enemy missiles - now I just avoid them as much as possible. I seem to be scoring just as well, and they can get to be a pain. If an enemy is shooting up at you... go up till the screen rolls and you can shoot him underneath. This works for the other directions as well. This technique works really well until the fighters get smart and start shooting in multiple directions! At level 8, I have to abandon my other strategies and going straight for the targets and to the warp. The fighters are moving so fast already by this time, that dodging and blasting missiles is near impossible. I'm actually thinking I may try the difficulty switch technique if I cannot score over 3500 soon.

(oh and if I am repeating something that has already been said somewhere... I'm sorry).

Man, this game rocks! :D

I'm confused by the 'faked' comment. What was the point of the post? (Not looking to start something, honestly asking the question.) Were you guys suggesting my post was fake?

And, if not, Thomas, I don't know why you did it, but I'm honored you posted my score at the end of your reply.

-- Steve

I'm confused by the 'faked' comment. What was the point of the post? (Not looking to start something, honestly asking the question.) Were you guys suggesting my post was fake?

no, I didn't mean yours... but the one above it. maybe its just my eyes...

incog wrote:

this is faked by the way... I don't even own the game...

no, I didn't mean yours... but the one above it. maybe its just my eyes...

:sad:

Thomas said:

I don't think it is a fake (and Steve's too). He is probably using a modded Atari. And the image compression ratio is quite high.

Thanks for backing me, Thomas. :-)

I took the shot with a digital camera, and then compressed it with Paintshop Pro so that it wouldn't bog down the forum. I sent a high resolution version to enter for the patch. Here is a less compressed version, for those skeptics... note that it has still been cropped (the original was about 1.55MB). BTW, I AM in fact using a modified Atari, that I bought from Povlok1. He will vouch for me on that. Also, if you look down towards the bottom of the shot, you will be able to read DAEWOO, which is a cheap brand of TV that I got from my family for Christmas a couple of years ago. I don't even know if the company makes monitors.

ahh, sorry then...

no problem. Thought I'd comment to hopefully clear this up more. I would rather not have anyone on these boards think that I'm a cheater, liar, or a thief. :-)

[edit... pic removed... too big. LOL! :lolblue:]

Well, anything ~100k would have done it too.
TOO BIG. Picture is too big. Make it smaller. I believe you.

LOL! I am sorry... it's been 'one of those days'. Class sucked today. I didn't sleep a wink last night, and we had to sit around and draw skeletons all day - BORING! After I got home, things got a little bit exciteable when I had to call 911 after this guy decided to drive his Datsun through the hedges just outside of my patio door. So I was already kind of wound up and incoherent when I logged onto the internet to read/interpret that my integrity was being called into question. I probably overreacted just a bit in my eagerness to prove my claims, and hoping to illustrate my reasons for cropping and compressing the image in the first place. Anyways, I'm an idiot. I should go do my homework.