IGNORED

Activision Anthology for GBA (My first impressions)

cryptik76

I just get on the phone and call the darn place. If they don't have it I call another. Takes a couple minutes :P

The problem with this method is that sometimes they don't check and they lie and say, "I'm sorry but we don't have that in stock" or "We're out of that right now". I used to work in retail and this was a common thing to do when we were super busy or just super lazy. :D

haha, I meant cvo going to a bunch of different stores in her quest to get that game, pretty tenacious :D

:ponder:

egg%20on%20face.jpg

LMAO! Silly monkeys!!! You do what you gotta do for a game. If it takes making a pathetically sad face, so be it. :P

Just an FYI for everyone in the US (not sure about Canada), CompUSA.com is running a sale with 15% off all games and penny shipping on 12/25, and they have the GBA Anthology in stock at $29.99. So depending on your state (sales tax), you could get the game for about $25.50 shipped (+Tax).

Not a huuuuge price drop, but hey, it's ~$5...

I think the 15% off is good through 12/27, but the penny shipping is today only (Christmas).

i'm in Canada, and i went to EB, WalMart, Best Buy, Toys R Us,

and a bunch of mom and pop video game shops and nobody had it.

trying to order it online , i discovered that either most U.S online

retailers won't even ship to Canada or the shipping the shipping charges

are ridiculous...

i checked aspyr and the shipping charges are called international,

when Canada is NOT international...but 10 bucks US for shipping would make the game 40 bucks which = 60 bucks CDN

now if you lived in th States would YOU pay $60 for this game ????

i didn't think so.....

... Canada is NOT international...

No?

INTERNATIONAL:

Adjective

1. Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations. 2. Extending across or transcending national boundaries.

(Definition above provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.)

-PongHit

oh brother :roll:

let me clarify...

Canada gets lumped in with the same "international" shipping rates as

England, France, Germany, Japan etc

That's ridiculous...

I f anybody has a line on how to get this in Canada.

I'd appreciate it...

No?

INTERNATIONAL:

Adjective

1. Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations. 2. Extending across or transcending national boundaries.

(Definition above provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.)

-PongHit

oh brother :roll:

let me clarify...

Canada gets lumped in with the same "international" shipping rates as

England, France, Germany, Japan etc

That's ridiculous...

I f anybody has a line on how to get this in Canada.

I'd appreciate it...

No?

INTERNATIONAL:

Adjective

-PongHit

... if you lived in th States would YOU pay $60 for this game ????  ...

This question, as you've asked it, is unfair...

In the US, the price is about 30 *US* Dollars -- or almost 40 *US* Dollars if ordered from Aspyr. If you live in Canada, the price -- when ordering from Aspyr -- would be 60 *CANADIAN* dollars (including International Shipping).

To ask those of us in The States if we'd pay 60 *US Dollars* is misleading & irrelevant because prices of EVERYTHING jumps up when converting from US to CANADIAN dollars.

Now, if you're seriously asking if we would still buy it if we *lived in Canada* & the ONLY way to get it was to pay 60 *Canadian* dollars -- well, MY answer is still YES -- for sure!!!

-PongHit

now if you lived in th States would YOU pay $60 for this game ????
60 Canadian dollars? YES! That's also a fair price for shipping; you'd have difficulty getting it shipped for under US$5.

We hardcore geeks at AtariAge are beginning to question your loyalties. :P

ok ok ok i give up ;)

i forgot to mention 15 % tax as well as possible duties

and customs handling fees,

so that could easily raise way above what is reasonable

i guess i'm gonna have to drive to niagara falls NY,

but the three hour wait at the border due to orange alert

would definitely test my patience in picing up this cart ;)

Yes, shipping to Canada is ridiculous. I shipped a box of books to Canada... cost $20. So I asked, "What if I shipped to Maine... same distance but still within the U.S.?" The answer was $9.

So I can understand why companies charge international rates for Canada: It's because the post office charges such ridiculously high rates.

I don't think many people will argue that shipping from the US to Canada is considered an International shipping. While both countries may be on the same continent, the amount of work involved shipping a package to Canada versus shipping a package to Australia is no different. For domestic packages, I can print the postage and drop the packages off at the post office without waiting in line. For international packages, I need to fill out a customs form by hand and then wait in line. This is a significant increase in time for international packages.

I've found that shipping packages via Airmail to Canada is often cheaper than USPS Priority Mail rates here in the US. We try to charge actual shipping rates for international customers since we want to encourage people to buy games (and other items) from us. The postage displayed in our store is provided directly from USPS servers. The weight calculation isn't always exact, so sometimes people are overcharged for shipping, sometimes undercharged. It generally balances out.

..Al

I was in CompUSA the other night looking for a nice slimline USB CD- or DVD-ROM drive for my partner's new laptop (struck out :P ) and by chance swung through the game section. They had a ton of Activision Anthology! On the other hand, they had basically no "popular" titles at all so that worries me a little. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet because my place looks like a bomb went off following the xmas gift wrapping activities so I have no idea where my GBA is (and the GC/GBP is currently occupied by Ocarina of Time...)

I also got a Griffin Powermate USB knob.... hoping to play Tempest and Kaboom/Madbomber and Arkanoid and hope against hope, maybe even Tron soon :)

For those looking for a capsule summary: its control is quite coarse, it has "volume knob resistance", the Windows software doesn't let you use it as an analog device (just simulate keypresses) and the Linux software, while included in the default kernel nowadays, doesn't work with xmame or stella.

It's not bad for MadBomber, though, and it does have a nifty blue LED at the bottom, and I'm sure it's great at its intended use (volume knob/scroll wheel.) I don't think I'll return it but I'm going to pick up a proper USB mouse-interface spinner.

• 5 months later...

I got my Activision Anthology for GBA yesterday. I had a tough time finding one in time for my business trip. I finally found it at Best Buy, which hardly had any carts to begin with.

I know I'm getting this a little late, but I just got a GBA SP (NES Retro) for Fathers Day. This cart was a MUST have. It's been a lot of fun playing these Activision games on a Portable. Could you have imagined this as a kid in the 1970's? :love:

Great thead to read with my morning coffee.

I got my Activision Anthology for GBA yesterday.  I had a tough time finding one in time for my business trip.  I finally found it at Best Buy, which hardly had any carts to begin with.

I know I'm getting this a little late, but I just got a GBA SP (NES Retro) for Fathers Day.  This cart was a MUST have.  It's been a lot of fun playing these Activision games on a Portable.  Could you have imagined this as a kid in the 1970's?  :love:  

Nope. If someone would have told me that I would still have been playing Atari 2600 games in the 21st century, I would have thought that this person was crazy.

It is really fun to play with Activision Anthology on my GBA SP. One of my favorites is playing Spider Fighter and I can remember playing it outside a computer fair back in February while I waited for it to open. It was cool to be able to play for half an hour while I waited for the opening. :)