IGNORED

Jaguar Doom control issue

Brig

Strafing and turning at the same time is an integral part of modern shooters. I am sure you've heard the term "circle strafing" whereby you can navigate around an enemy in a circular motion continually shooting at them. Well circle strafing requires that you can turn and strafe at the same time. Every other version of Doom I have played allows this (Playstation, Game Boy Advance and of course PC).

I could have sworn I called it that too Adrian:

...I am sure you've heard the term "circle strafing" whereby you can navigate around an enemy in a circular motion continually shooting at them.....  

I hope that someone out there knows a way to do this. Are there any First Person Shooters on the Jag that allow you to move in such a manner?

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Brig ]

It seems that ID forgot this bit when they were designing the Jaguar's control scheme (yes, ID did the Jag version themselves and ii is the ONLY version other than the PC that they did themselves). I never really noticed NOT having it with DOOM, but that's because the first version I playe was the Jaguar's. the way I did this was just to intermitantly turn and strafe by pushing and releasing the strafe button. Not nearly as good as true circle strafing, but more effective than not doing it at all. Even without this, and since having played plenty of FPS shooter (including DOOM on other systems&PC), I still really like the Jag version and think it holds it's own against the other DOOM's, it was, after all, only the second version to be done after the PC (the first being on the 32x). You'll be happy to know that Iron Soldier I&II and Aircars and PhaseZero (and maybe others?) do have the ability to circle strafe, although they are hovercraft&giant robots, not a "character." I have learned to rid the world of my enemies in DOOM Quite effectively just by strafing left and right and not going in circles anyway: It takes a bit more skill that circle strafing, but once you get it, it works just as well. IMHO.

Thanks for the info Gunstar.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed by the Jaguar port and I still enjoy it, but having got so used to circle strafing in other titles, it grates slightly that I can't do it on Jag Doom. The simple ability to customise your own control scheme would have rectified the problem, but it seems it was not to be. I'm glad to hear that other titles do support such movement and I look forward to acquiring them when I have the necessary funds.

On a related note, what are people's experiences with Jaglink Doom?

Hey guys & gals,

I can't give you any info on 'circle straffing' I just heard of it 3 minutes ago in this thread. However seeing how I've never used such a technique in any

FPS, it isn't really neccessary in my opinion.

I consider myself a Doom veteran because I first cut my teeth on 32X Doom. I'd seen and played the PC version briefy but I'd always been a console man and playing a video game with the keyboard only really turned me off. So I got 32X Doom shortly after its release and hey am I the only one that noted the pretty serious lack of 'SAVE' feature?????

This game damn (can I say that here?) near killed me! I finished it in aprox 4 hours straight and I was a sweating/ shaking bag of nerves when I finished it (17+4 bonus levels in one sitting!). Why oh Why did they not have a save option???

I haven't played Jag Doom yet, but will shortly, I recently got one on Ebay so I can compare it with my favourite console Doom currently on the Saturn, im my opinion that is the coolest Doom I've ever played. It will be interesting to see how the Jag version stacks up. Has anyone else played both the Saturn and Jag version? Let me know what you think!

As always,

Markimus of K.

PS: I forgot to mention, did anyone else see the very impressive ending message in 32X Doom? I don't want to spoil it but here it is: "C:" Yeah thats the big finale. Tell me this wasn't rushed to marked as soon as possible!

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Markimus of K. ]

I recently picked up Jaguar Doom in order to compare it to the other versions I have. However I am slightly concerned that there doesn't appear to be a control configuration that allows me to both strafe & turn at the same time, something that is necessary (in my opinion) in order to play the game properly (and in multiplayer too).

The standard Jaguar pad has enough buttons to allow you to do it, and I can think of a hand position which I could use, but unless I have missed something, you can only choose between 1 of 6 preset control configurations, none of which allow you to perform both moves at the same time. Is this the same for everyone else or have I just missed something?

Its been awhile since I played the Jag version of Doom (About 3 years), I do remember that I did finish the game.... lack of circle strafing not-withstanding. So I'd have to say its not exactly necessary and I'm not so sure I'd be all that concerned about it anyways! I mean... Whatcha gonna do about it at this point?

You guys haven't been spoiled by the control options of today's shooters I see

The lack of circle strafing doesn't mean the game can't be enjoyable and doesn't mean it can't be completed, of course not. But it does limit your options tactically ( I guarantee that) and makes link up games less exctiting. If any of you have modern FPS, the Quakes, Unreal, anything like that, fire it up and you'll see what a difference it makes.

But hey, it's absent and I'm glad that everyone seems to have got so much enjoyment out of it. That's what games are for and that'll do for me.

Ya know, all this talk about Jaguar DOOM made me want to go play it. I fired it up and played it at some of the mid-range levels for about 90 minutes last night.

I think this is the best of the various DOOM versions, and one of the Jag's star games. I hope that some day in the future Songbird can make a DOOM+ sequel.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: someguy ]

DOH! I almost forgot about Alien Vs. Predator! This game does have circle strafing and is an essential part of the game if you want to do well. It is easier to use with the Procontroller as strafing is done with the Z&X buttons and turning with the D-pad; on the regular controller you must use keys 7&9 which is a stretch if you want to fire too. But it works superbly with the procontroller. There WILL be times that you need it, like when fighting predators and the Alien Queen for sure...

As someone who has played Quake 2 and currently plays Counterstrike, circle strafing is great for such games. I am a bit surprised that it was not included in the Jag version of Doom. I am getting my new Jaguar with 6 games, one of which is Doom, next week and I will let you know how it works out with circle strafing.

Seriously, this game is from the very beginning of the FPS-shooter genre, the "feature" of circle-strafing wasn't all that much evolved this early stage. Actually, the first time I even heard the term "circle-strafing" was when Quake was released for the PC and the characters actually consisted of POLYGONS (oh, the technical wonder). I might not have been such a hard-core FPS kind of guy back in those days but I don't think that ID were all that much into circle-strafing in the early days hence the function was something that the gamers themselves came up with and no wonder, the enemy is in front of You, why start strafing?

The lack of music in Jag Doom really bugged me when I first played it - I really loved the PC version and I was hoping that Doom'd be much the same on the Jag, but the experience is somewhat different without the funky music in the background. Scarier but less fun, imho.

Still need to get a second copy to link...got a JagLink early last year but never got around to buying another one

Stone

quote:

Originally posted by Stone:

The lack of music in Jag Doom really bugged me when I first played it - I really loved the PC version and I was hoping that Doom'd be much the same on the Jag, but the experience is somewhat different without the funky music in the background. Scarier but less fun, imho.

Still need to get a second copy to link...got a JagLink early last year but never got around to buying another one

Stone

It was kind of dumb not to have the music playing in the background; there are quite a few between-level tracks that they could have used. I do like background music in games sometimes, but eventually it all gets shut off so I can here the sound effects more clearly. But, it is possible to have music in JagDoom link-up. It's a trick that can be done to get sound effects out of one Jag and the menu music out of the other. It's in a cheat page somewhere...it involves reseting one Jaguar and leaving the other at the right screen and starting up a deathmatch or co-op game. The music keeps playing on one and the sound effects on the other. You'll love networked DOOm regardless, it crashes once in a while and certain things help lessen this like a short cable between the Jaglink boxes and using the same model number Jags. DOOM is the only linkable game where crashing occurs more than on very rare occasions. It can also be lessened by picking easier difficulties in co-op as the less enemies there are for the Jag to keep track of, the less it gets out of sync and network-crashes. Still a TON of fun!

quote:

Originally posted by Pocket Universe:

I might not have been such a hard-core FPS kind of guy back in those days but I don't think that ID were all that much into circle-strafing in the early days hence the function was something that the gamers themselves came up with and no wonder, the enemy is in front of You, why start strafing?

You start strafing to avoid being hit by the enemy!! Duh!

I use strafing all the time, even in DOOM, it helps you live longer...

To Giga-Power: Yes! Jag DOOM ROCKS! it is missing the in-game music, which I always shut off in games to go for the full emmersion, so that doesn't matter to me at all. and some bosses are missing from the game, but it has levels in it from both Doom and Doom 2 and a secret level too. The textures are a bit simpler than the PC version, but it has lighting effects that are far, far superior to the PC version. an excellent port and the ONLY one done by ID themselves!

Another Jaguar game that puts circle strafing to good use is Skyhammer (once you get the engine upgrades to do it).

Here is a list of FPS games on the Jag that do and don't have circle-strafing, some are "on foot" others are "in the cockpit":

yes:

AvP

Iron Soldier 1&2 (under advanced controls)

Skyhammer

PhaseZero (unreleased)

Aircars (it sucks on this game though)

Towers II(doesn't need it, but it's there!)

no:

DOOM

Wolfenstein 3D

That's all I can think of right now...

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Yeah, I've seen the "cheat" for music in multi...I did say I can't play multi since I only have one cart though

I reckon I can improve on the standard network error rate with a heavy-duty shielded cable, but the disadvantage is that it wouldn't be anywhere near as long as the one supplied with the JagLink (10m, wasn't it?) since I don't have a piece of cable that long. Maybe I'll buy some when I get another copy of Doom

Still, it should be possible to increase length of cable if you have a corresponding increase in shielding. I'll have to play a bit

Stone

• 3 weeks later...

I too have noticed the lack of circle strafing in Jag Doom, and it bugged me. Between the lack of this feature, and the lack of in-game music I was sort of dissapointed with the Jag version. PErhaps I didn't play it much lately on my friend's JAg because I kind of played the game to death back in 1994 when I got my 486...ah, the 486, with its massive 4 megs of RAM