IGNORED

Jaguar Doom control issue

Brig

Heresy! Heresy!

Actually, I've played the PC version (and the 3DO, and the SNES) and the Jag version, and I think the Jag version is hands down the best.

Dang - I still think DOOM is the best game put out for the Jag: when I first got that game I played it for 4 or 5 hours a night for two weeks straight until I fianlly beat the game and finished the final level. Even now I can pop DOOM in my Jaguar and play it for 2 or 3 hours straight.

quote:

Originally posted by someguy:

Heresy! Heresy!

Actually, I've played the PC version (and the 3DO, and the SNES) and the Jag version, and I think the Jag version is hands down the best.

Dang - I still think DOOM is the best game put out for the Jag: when I first got that game I played it for 4 or 5 hours a night for two weeks straight until I fianlly beat the game and finished the final level. Even now I can pop DOOM in my Jaguar and play it for 2 or 3 hours straight.

I've played the 32x, 3DO and PC versions and I think the Jag ia the Best version of all too. I also thank God that the music was LEFT OUT, I always thought it sucked anyway. I prefer immmersion in my games, not background music, what is it? A mall or the bouls of hell?

quote:

Originally posted by Stone:

Yeah, I've seen the "cheat" for music in multi...I did say I can't play multi since I only have one cart though

I reckon I can improve on the standard network error rate with a heavy-duty shielded cable, but the disadvantage is that it wouldn't be anywhere near as long as the one supplied with the JagLink (10m, wasn't it?) since I don't have a piece of cable that long. Maybe I'll buy some when I get another copy of Doom

Still, it should be possible to increase length of cable if you have a corresponding increase in shielding. I'll have to play a bit

Stone

Sheilding is not the only problem, although it is the major one...if the cable is too long, you also have network timing problems to deal with because of the added microseconds it takes to send&recieve data between the two consoles, so the sohorter the better...although a REALLY long cable would be needed to start seeing these problems crop up. I don't know if this can have any adverse effects on the networking or not, but there is also the added resistance the longer the cable is, so you need to increase the wires diameter to compensate (again I'm not sure that any of this is substantial enough to effect networked gameplay or not). I use the sortest cord I can find and just have the Jags right next to each other, this seems to solve some problems. Best scenerio: hook up the Jags with the Jaglink's back-to-back, with about a 1" cable and two tv's/monitor's back to back.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]