IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

So will there be a Cuttle Cart 3?  For what system?  What systems don't already have such a device?  Lynx, Jaguar, Famicom, and what else?

Colecovision would be too easy (no carts used bank switching) and would have little need for an FPGA, but I think Intellivision could use something.

NES/Famicom would be nice due to all the bank switching variations used, but it would be a tight fit for an MMC card. I have 200 megs of over 900 ROMs that I got from a DC emulator disc, and the biggest MMC cards are 256 megs (for around $100, IIRC). Then there would be the little issue of the copy protection chip. But they'd be easy enough to desolder from SMB/DH carts and stick into a socket on the board.

Intellivision already has one:

http://www.schells.com/intellicart.shtml

Turns out the Lynx has one too:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37635

With regards to the NES/Famicom, it isn't like people need to fit every game ever made on one MMC card. The Cuttle Cart 2 guys are crazy! I bet some of them actually can play every game that can fit on a Cuttle Cart 2 :D The bank switching for the NES/Famicom has so many variations, but I guess this is where things like the Cuttle Cart series accels. Security could be accomplished via cannablization like you said, or via some voltage trickery like Color Dreams has done:

http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/mappers/lockout/

With the extremely large game library that the NES/Famicom has, I bet it would be at least as popular as the 2600 and 7800 Cuttlefish Carts.

I wish other flash carts for other systems used a separate pluggable MMC card. That way if you can't fit every game on one cart, you can buy more MMC cards. It would be cool to have an update to the original Cuttle Cart, with the features of the Cuttle Cart 2, but for the 2600... for those of us you prefer the 2600 (it is the coolest looking console ever).

The 2600 just doesn't have what it takes to do a decent menu system. The lack of a phase 2 clock line doesn't help either (it's why Robot Tank has problems on a 7800, but no problems in a CC2) That's why the CC2 was made for the 7800. If you wanted the features of the CC2 badly enough to pay $200 for it, getting a 7800 to use it in is a minor issue. There's only a few games that don't work right on a 7800 with the CC2, and those are basically due to the B&W / PAUSE switch change.

There's only a few games that don't work right on a 7800 with the CC2, and those are basically due to the B&W / PAUSE switch change.

What games are those? Obviously not ones that I'm trying to play as I can't recall having had this issue yet. :P

So where was it one could get a card reader/writer from?  I haven't been able to mod mine since a very kind and generous soul bought one for me and dumped a few ROM on it so I could test out my cart. :D

Few = 500+ :roll:

Only 500? I'm running 1,044 currently  :D

Yeah, but it is infested with that PAL crap :P

Just kidding, I am running 804 in the games folder right now, but I hope to fill in some proto roms soon.

Looks like I'm a lightweight. I only have 704 on mine!

I'm infested with some of that PAL crap too. :P