IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 Discussion Thread

cschell

That's odd. When I got it mine early 2004, SD was prevalent enough that I actually had trouble finding MMC cards. I know you were developing it during 2003, but by the time it was released, SD was the big thing. Then about late '04, early '05, Palm apparently came out with a PDA that didn't use SD, so I started to see some Palm-branded MMC cards show up.

Anyhow, the five-large was a very good reason to NOT use SD. Basically, SD is just MMC with DRM added. (though it does have some other improvements like an optional 4-bit interface instead of 1-bit)

Yeah, the obvious fact is that the 5 grand up front would have had to have been passed on to the purchasers, and I think that difference in price would have affected the popularity of the CC2. It was already an expensive proposition when it was first released (I mean, relative... if you put EVERY rom you could find on it, and you WOULD have purchased all of those titles otherwise, it was a relative bargain). I definetly understand the economics behind the decision.

It is just unfortunate, I think SD would have been less problematic over the long haul. At some point, I can see having a working, configured MMC card as a selling point driving up demand for rare, original CC2s.

Heh. Which might not suck. It would be nice to have my CC2 with 32mb MMC card be worth $300 at some point down the road. I guess I should look on the bright side. :D

So, a Sandisk RS-MMC (256mb) and a Sandisk reader solved all my problems.

It might be worth putting somewhere on the page a disclaimer, "For best results, SanDisk OEM cards and Readers have shown the highest reliability for use with the Cuttle Cart 2". I got my PQI card to work through Activesync, and my guess is that it will work fine through the SanDisk reader, too... so the Sandisk RS-MMC was kind of an unnecessary purchase (well, I can always use more flash memory in some device I own)... but, I just didn't want to put the PQI in any reader after having the inland reader corrupting it.

So my final tally... Samsung OEM 32mb RS-MMC... works fine on all my PCs, card readers, my Palm, and my Pocket PC. When I put it into the Cuttle Cart, it does not see it, and corrupts the data on it.

My PQI 256mb MMC... corrupts when I try to format it FAT 16 on my Inland 12-in-1 reader. I can format Fat 16 on Palm or Pocket PC and can copy CC2 info over via Activesync through the PDA and that works fine. I'm guessing it will work fine in the SanDisk Card Reader.

SanDisk card reader does not fix the problem with the Samsung 32mb RS-MMC. Same thing happens as above.

SanDisk card reader works excellent with SanDisk 256mb RS-MMC, PC formats Fat 16, copies, and CC2 reads card with no problems at all...

:)

I tried the PQI card last night in the SanDisk reader, and that didn't work. It wouldn't see the card (Please insert disk in drive F:).

But I then copied everything I needed over by using the PocketPC with the PQI MMC card in there, using ActiveSync, and that worked fine.

Strange stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just recently bought the CC2 and I was wondering if some kind soul would set me up with the files I need for this...

I use a Mac, but I have a card reader and MMC card ready to go (my phone takes the same card, so I have an extra).

Thanks,

P

Eyeballs that mmc card... Hmmm

Yeah that was the hardest part for me. Finding an MMC card.

Anyways for those of you having trouble finding a machine to create your menu's on. There are people here willing to send the files you need to you. That is what I did. Someone here was nice enough to send it and I just dumped it onto my MMC.

Instant 2600/7800 library!!

So... the only two rom images I'm having trouble with are the 7800 Pac Man hack and Tower Toppler. Both games load alright, display the Atari logo for a moment, and then I get a black screen with two yellow-green bars running up the screen, offset a bit.

I've tried multiple different sources and images on Tower Toppler.

I'm guessing that I don't have the BIOS or bankswitching info correct. But I've played around with that and I still get the same results consistently.

Oh, wait... On Tower Toppler, that is a huge (120k) image that does that. I also have a more normal sized bin image, and it loads... but it never starts... it just drops my character off at the base of the tower, tells me the name of the tower, and instantly skips to the next tower, all the way through, then it starts at the beginning and repeats the same cycle.

Nothing major, but I was wondering if anybody else was having this problem, or knew what the problem was.

• 2 weeks later...
So, a Sandisk RS-MMC (256mb) and a Sandisk reader solved all my problems.

Thanks, Almost Rice, for letting us know about using RS-MMC cards. I just bought this Simpletech 128mb RS-MMC from Amazon for $9.99 ($15.98 including shipping), and, like the SimpleTech full size MMC I used to use, it works perfectly out of the box. Yes, the SimpleTech RS-MMC also includes the clip-on adapter that makes it a full size MMC. It literally took me 5 minutes to clip on the full size MMC adapter, copy my old MMC card's contents onto a folder on my hard drive, copy it back onto the new RS-MMC card, insert the RS-MMC card into the Cuttle Cart 2, then remove the adapter.

I can't tell you how reassuring (and asthetically superior) having no card sticking out of the Cuttle Cart 2 is, especially after hearing of how Kielbaca's CC2 got ruined (see earlier posts for details). Well, I can tell you - it feels 100% more rugged, and makes it much more comfortable to show off my 7800+CC2 to friends (and kids!) I highly recommend making the switchover to RS-MMC - especially for these low prices.

Finally, I've joined the Cuttle Cart Community! When do I get to learn the secret handshake?

This is a note to thank some folk who have helped make the CC2 journey easier. In particular, thank you Paranoid - you've been about two weeks ahead of me throughout the whole process, and the posts about your experience have helped me to avoid a lot of potential pitfalls. I read your posts about the Cuttle Cart Community, too, and you are to be commended for manifesting those virtues you may not have found in others. Here's three cheers - :D :D :D !

In my own experience, I've found everybody very helpful. Various people have helped with PAL/NTSC advice, ROMs and menus and they have proved to me that AtariAge's reputation for friendliness and support is well grounded. So to help share the love, if you're reading this and wanting help setting up your CC2 or MMC, feel free to PM me and I'll do whatever I can to help you out.

As for the Cuttle Cart 2 itself, it's an amazing device and indispensable to any 7800 or 2600 fan. It seems that Schell's Electronics have very few left and are unlikely to do another run, so if you haven't already - send Chad your well-earned cash. It's a bargain, I tell you!

I'm having some trouble with the POKEY I took out of a Ballblazer cart & can't play the Blaze without the music! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had anyone had a POKEY that they wanted to get rid of, before I order one from Best.

I think I messed up the chip a little bit when I removed it...

Thanks dark-aelph. :)

Along those lines, I'm getting back into the groove here after my vacation and trying to tie up some other interesting developments, so my plate is pretty full right now... but...

One of the things I've been doing is playing around with one of the Mac G4s I picked up recently for a deal. I've been looking around for applications and interesting things to make the Mac compelling for me to use (I'm on it right now, actually) as opposed to one of my PCs. While looking around, I came across *this*

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virt...spx?pid=vpcdemo

And instantly thought of Phaxda and Sku and some of the other Mac-abled Atari 7800 CC2 users here and their difficulties with configuring the CC2 using their Macs.

I'm not sure how this will work, but any G4 or newer Mac has an I/O bus that is virtually the same as that on an Intel PC... PCI, AGP, IDE, USB, etc... so it seems like emulation of a PC/Win32 platform on the Mac should be pretty stable, if a little slow. As long as you have a reasonably fast Mac, my guess is that this *should* do the trick.

I haven't downloaded it and tried it myself yet, so I'm not sure about it, but it might be worth checking out for you Mac only guys.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had to order a few parts from Best Electronics, and their minimum order is $20, so I had them throw in a Pokey for my CC2.

I'll tell you, for the stress involved in getting the Pokey in the socket without the "proper" tools, for the three games that take advantage of the Pokey, I think next time I'd just skip it. I'm not stranger to pulling and replacing socketed chips... but pulling and replacing the brain on my e30 BMW was less stressful than this. I just ended up having to handle the pcb a lot more than I would have liked to, and by or near areas I'd rather not have, too in order to get it in. But... now Ballblazer and Commando sound... just like a game from 1985 or 86... heh...

I did take off the "handle" on my RS-MMC card, so at least now I'm not going to be nervous about ripping the MMC slot off the cartridge by accident.

Edited by Paranoid

I just had to order a few parts from Best Electronics, and their minimum order is $20, so I had them throw in a Pokey for my CC2.

I'll tell you, for the stress involved in getting the Pokey in the socket without the "proper" tools, for the three games that take advantage of the Pokey, I think next time I'd just skip it. I'm not stranger to pulling and replacing socketed chips... but pulling and replacing the brain on my e30 BMW was less stressful than this. I just ended up having to handle the pcb a lot more than I would have liked to, and by or near areas I'd rather not have, too in order to get it in. But... now Ballblazer and Commando sound... just like a game from 1985 or 86... heh...

I did take off the "handle" on my RS-MMC card, so at least now I'm not going to be nervous about ripping the MMC slot off the cartridge by accident.

At least many of the new 7800 homebrews (like Frogger) use Pokey sound. And maybe some day someone enterprising will hack existing 7800 games (like Donkey Kong) and substitute Pokey sound.

BTW, Paranoid, do you think we should set up a new thread for menu.txt settings? I'm game to help out if you are...

I'd forgotten about this. Oh wait... that was for text file conversions, which I'm game for helping out on, as well.

I'm almost thinking that it might be a good idea to set up a site dedicated to the Cuttle Cart 2, that contained menu text files, a community forum, and everything that is "freely distributable" about the CC2 in one centralized and dedicated repository. I've got a friend who owns a hosting service, if anyone is interested, I'd see if he could kick down a little slice of one of his servers...

I think developing a kind of comprehensive CC2 site that has a complete menu.txt, the zips of the manuals, and related stuff wouldn't be a bad idea.

But, we can just do it as a thread here, too. I'm game for that too. Let me know.

AH! Heh. I just figured the Frogger demo hadn't gotten to adding sound yet. LOL! I'll have to go check that out. I always thought, "This would be a killer version of Frogger if only it had sound". :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sent off the payment for my Cuttle Cart 2 this last weekend. I was told it was one of the last two he had.

I am not a huge 2600/7800 fan, but I can see where my interest (currently with the Atari 800 & Atari Jaguar) could easily expand into the 7800. Especially if the computer module is ever released. That module was one of those things that made me take another look at the 7800. (One was passed on to me when a person was wanting to get rid of some items.)

So will get that Cuttle Cart 2 soon, and I have a Mac. I understand I have a little work ahead of me. And I have practically no rom images. :D Guess I'll need to pick up some from Atariage's downloads.

So a sandisk 128 meg mmc card is what I need eh? Any size limit to the size of the mmc card? I take it the cuttle cart 2 is real finiky with the mmc card it gets?

Mainly though, the MAIN reason I got the Cuttle Cart 2... to join in the high score competitions that the 2600 and 7800 has from time to time. :D

Edited by doctorclu

I'd go with the 128mb MMC. It is WAY too much space for the CC2. :) And, it doesn't HAVE to be SANDISK. Any of the other off-brands that are named here that work should be fine for you. But if you want to be absolutely positive it will work, a SANDISK card and reader *is* the way to go.

Mac ins't any big problem. All you need to do is go to the CC2 java app page and download it. I or someone else can get you the link, or you can just Google it. I'd give it to you right now, but I don't have it handy.

I'd go with the 128mb MMC. It is WAY too much space for the CC2. :) And, it doesn't HAVE to be SANDISK. Any of the other off-brands that are named here that work should be fine for you. But if you want to be absolutely positive it will work, a SANDISK card and reader *is* the way to go.

Mac ins't any big problem. All you need to do is go to the CC2 java app page and download it. I or someone else can get you the link, or you can just Google it. I'd give it to you right now, but I don't have it handy.

Ok. picking up a 128m mmc soon (sandisk).

If you can send me that link for the java app that will be great.

As for the rom images, where are some good places to find some? I know there are a lot of emulator sites out there, but looking for preferable choices?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...dpost&p=1071067

You'll find the link to the page you are looking for, as well as a lot of other goodies, at this link.

7800 roms at

http://www.atari7800.org/

2600 Roms here in the library, with others available at other sites you can google.

Edited by Paranoid

Here is a link to my MMC Backup files. After you unzip it, copy all the files out of the folder labeled "mmcbackup 6-12" and paste them into the root of the mmc. (just make sure you have seperate folders on the mmc when you open it up, Banking, Games, Manuals, Startup, ect...)

sorry about the rapidshare hosting, I am still to cheap to have my own.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22921351/MMCbackup_6-12.zip.html

:thumbsup:

Very cool. :)

Yeah, it took a while to get them the way I wanted, for anyone who already has thiers set up, it would be wise to make a backup of yours so that you can change it back if you want to.

I haven't gotten around to playing with the multiple menus yet, with the different folders and stuff.

So a sandisk 128 meg mmc card is what I need eh? Any size limit to the size of the mmc card?

As mentioned by other AA members (i.e. keilbaca ;) ) - I would highly recommend a RS-MMC (mini mmc) card so that there is no protrusion from the CC2 case. Ensures that you never accidentally damage the CC2 :cool:

Edited by remowilliams