IGNORED

Controller rarity guide [BACK ONLINE !]

sku_u

Hello,

I was cruising threw this thread and decided to checkout the website associated with it. I noticed I have a controller that is not on your current page and you may want to add it!

It is called "GRIP-IT." It has six buttons total. It is truly an ergonomically correct deal and feels great in your hand. You have some sticks like it but nothing the same in any respect. The buttons on are as follows: Dual finger fire button, Main thumb fire button, Adjacent Accessory thumb button, Difficulty/Speed Selector switch, Side thumb button, and lower "pinky" button. The Difficulty/Speed selector switch has three functions; SLOW, RAPID, REG. It has a super thick cord and two end connectors. The cord is also extremely long at over 8'. The first connector is of course for the Atari or any other 9-pin connectors. The other is the NES styled connector. I was given this controller by a friend of mine who is a vender at a local flea market. It is a really cool joystick controller and is one that is styled with no base so that it floats and has some sort of Gyro directional guide.

I tested it on my 7800 with Food Fight, and it worked wonderfully. The only thing wrong with the controller is the secondary fire button located on the top, rear of the stick is missing. It works still yet because I made a device that completes the circuit, but I quickly discarded it because that button is not necessary. The dual finger fire trigger is enough considering the machine only needs one fire button.

Also this Joystick has two lights atop the controller, and the only use I could determine that these were for is to show that the thing is plugged in.

Also the plug is the standard 9-pin deal that the Atari and other similar systems and computer use, but it seemed to be a bit tighter than the other plugs on controllers that I have.

The full identification I have on the item is this:

Sticker One (on under side, left): GRIP-IT, RICHWIDE TECHNOLOGIES, INC PATENT NO. 91300070-1, Patent Pending 1992

Sticker Two (on under side, right): 1992GRIP-IT, MODEL NO. G-101, POWER 5.5V, CURRENT: 20MA

The commas are actually not printed on the stickers, they were put in there by me to separate the lines.

This controller is in excellent condition, except for the fact that the one button is missing. Sadly, I have no manuals or boxes for this item, but I am not mad for this was a free find.

I hope this helps anyone involved in the website compilation process. I would be happy to give any pictures that are necessary. If they are wanted, and I am sure they are, please E-mail me at JamesHMcAninch@Hotmail.com, and post a reply to this thread.

Also I wanted to congratulate whoever's idea this is, it is a great one. Though I wish they would go more in depth with the controller, i.e. Instead of saying 2600 Controller by Atari tell about it and all the revisions involved. I have 5 Atari Joysticks and they are all different, cosmetically of course, yet there is one with a different board and two with red buttons.

Hope this helps!

James McAninch

Hi,

I think this controller is made for the Sega Genesis, considering that the date of its copyright is 1992 and it has six buttons...post a pic if you can.

Thanks

Jeff

I thought so too when I first got it, though it does not work on a Genesis. I have tested it on 4 systems. The Sega Genesis Styles I and II, The 7800, and a Texas instruments home Computer. It only worked on the Atari. I originally got it to play on my Nintendo NES, but it did not work as well as planned, yet on the Atari, it was "smoking." Still yet if it was produced for the Genesis it works on the Atari. Is that not worth a listing considering you have C64 stuff on there because it is compatible?

Thanks,

James

It's hard to exclude C64 controllers as they were sold during the same time frame & they were marketed towards both platforms. Pretty much anything none first party you have this problem. Most boxes will have 'compatible with Atari systems' on them, so they get lumped in together. Any Sega Genesis controllers are to the point they no longer were marketed towards the Atari branded consoles, and it's purely coincidental that they were made compatible, not really marketed as such. But to start a list of all the Sega sticks, just because they will work with Atari is not necessary.

So is the Grip It controller a one handed stick?

I had something similar I can't recall what it was called, but that name sounds familar, mine was a Sega stick, one handed job, with a detachable cord. IT came packaged in a round see-through cylinder container, kind of neat. Also came packaged with a VHS about it.. I don't think I ever took it out of the package.

Unknown -

They seem to have a battery compartment or something....

one works the other dosent and neighter top red button seem to push.

This means I can take the bad one apart. ... (time elapse) ...

nothing worth posting pictures of, the "battery compartment" under the compatablity sticker is closed fully. The bottom has three screws in it and lifts off of the too, there are four small internaml screws on the bottom of the actual board with some kinda red formerly-liqid now hardend adhesion mixture (glue) the screws are positioned so that the cord intrance int othe board is at 12:00 at the following clock faces to the nearest hour: 1:00, 5:00, 7:00, and 11:00. the wires from the cord are colored black, white, blue,brown, orande, and green connect from the board in that order left to right. There is a bundle of (2) red wires comming out of a hole in the middle of the board commecting to the back of the board (or comming out of the back...), presumabliy to allow the nub of the joystick to not damage anything on the board.

I cant get past the red gule which was sparignly applied to the screws.

Here are a few extra items for the Atari 2600 section.

1) The Game Console from Steven for the Atari 2600 system that hold the Atari 2600 joystick in the middle on your lap and it opens up to hold six more loose carts, Model number: 890.

2) The T.V. games cartridge Organizer from Intergrated Plastics Limited and it holds 12 carts and manuals and more of them can be locked in to one big cart holder.

:D :D :D

post-88-1091063696_thumb.jpg

post-88-1091063697_thumb.jpg