IGNORED

the defining game of the 7800

tyranthraxus

Just for me personally, it would be Midnight Mutants. What other console could have a game with Grampa Munster starring? With him on the cover with blood dripping off his fangs? What other 7800 game had such big-ass bosses?

To me, Midnight Mutants is the Atari 2600 game Adventure with prettier graphics and much, much deeper gameplay. It's the game that's usually plugged into my 7800 at any given time. I can't get enough. So for me, it's the game that defines the 7800.

Well even though they are on other systems i would say ms-pac-man and galaga. To me the 7800 is all about awesome arcade ports! And if i had to name a game that is only on the 7800 that defines the system i would also say ninja golf.

I think Ballblazer although my favorite game on any system is slightly better on the 5200/8bit. Something about the feel of it is a little off on the 7800, might be the aspect ratio or something, never really bothered to find out because it's still very fun to play.

I would agree with Midnight Mutants or Ninja Golf, both unique, 7800 exclusive games that were impressive titles for the mid 80's.

There wasn't one. 'Tis one of the reasons Atari failed so miserably with everything after the crash. There wasn't anyone game that defined the sytem like Donkey Kong did for the Colecovision, or SMB for the NES....

Just my opinion of course :)

-Lee

The only game that defined the 7800 is Ninja Golf although Tower Toppler, Midnight Mutants and Scrapyard Dog also come to mind. Unfortunately, instead of creating new more innovative games for the 7800, Atari simply rehashed many titles already out there for their older systems, making the 7800 dated before it's time. The 7800 was never able to compete with the NES and it's powerhouse of early releases so it failed miserably.

In terms of the marketplace, the 7800 didn't really have a defining game, part of its marketing problems...I would guess PP2 would be the closest. For me it would have to be the classic arcade ports, including excellent versions of Asteroids, Joust, Food Fight and Commando.

Eric

Hmm...

This is a toughie... while BallBlazer certainly showcases and pushes the machine, let's not forget the press received by "One on One" back in 88.

IIRC, there was lots of positive press for that game from a few magazines (TV Guide comes to mind for some reason). While not the "Defining game" of the system for those who played it, I'm willing to bet that it was for many who read about it in that timeframe!

Cheers!

Joey

The XEGS got Food Fight also :)

I agree the 7800 doesnt have a signature title since nothing really new made it out.

As for Ninja GOlf or Alien Brigade - who knew what the hell these games were about with names like that? Just the name alone has made me not really play these games though Alien Brigade is a game I would've liked.

Throw in another vote for Ballblazer, although I still maintain the fantastic arcade ports are the ones which have -- over time -- really defined the machine. Food Fight, Galaga, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, Xevious, Joust, Asteroids and Centipide were all top-notch translations.

We won't even mention the horrible-sounding Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., however :)

I'm in with Food Fight, Joust, and the arcade ports, including Donkey Kong...I personally really like the 7800's version because if it's difficulty and gameplay (ColecoVision and Atari 2600 versions are too easy). I do also have DK for the A8, though...

Please don't turn this thread into an Atari 7800 DK argument because of me. ;)

Voch

I'm in with Food Fight, Joust, and the arcade ports, including Donkey Kong...I personally really like the 7800's version because if it's difficulty and gameplay (ColecoVision and Atari 2600 versions are too easy).  I do also have DK for the A8, though...

Please don't turn this thread into an Atari 7800 DK argument because of me. ;)

Voch

Hey, I'm not bashing Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr. in terms of gameplay -- the sound on both of those, however, is downright horrible!

I agree that the sound in DKjr. is horrible, I was really expecting a lot more. :sad:

But for me the defining game for the 7800 would be Tower Toppler and Ballblazer from what I've played so far. Great graphics and fun gameplay for both of those. I still want to try both Alien Brigade and Ninja Golf though...

Ballblazer, Commando, Scrapyard Dog, and Robotron are definitely the cream of the 7800. Ballblazer has the crown as far as playability overall goes for it's great 2 player value, but Robotron, I'd say, has the best overall home port of an arcade game, what with the double sticks and speed pretty much making it the arcade.

I think it's Tower Toppler. It was the only game early on that was halfway decent that wasn't an old arcade game. It kept me wanting to play the system in between periods when I kept buying lame 7800 carts.

Cousin Vinnie

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800

Id agree with tower toppler had i not have played the amiga version called nemisis before hand. It is unique but i thought nemesis was better gameplay, and a clearer image. I stay with ball blazer, i love the arade ports though, Maybe a pokey would change everyones mind