IGNORED

the defining game of the 7800

tyranthraxus

Food Fight, Galaga, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, Xevious, Joust, Asteroids and Centipide were all top-notch translations.

The Centipede translation was merely adequate. The 5200 version walked all over it.

I cast another vote for Ballblazer. I don't know why Ninja Golf is getting so many mentions. Yes it had an original concept and better-than-average graphics, but the actual gameplay is horrible.

I don't know why Ninja Golf is getting so many mentions. Yes it had an original concept and better-than-average graphics, but the actual gameplay is horrible.

(from the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary : )

]Main Entry: de·fine  

Pronunciation: di-'fIn

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): de·fined; de·fin·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French definer, from Latin definire, from de- + finire to limit, end, from finis boundary, end

transitive senses

1 a : to determine or identify the essential qualities or meaning of

The 7800 was a really cool system that had great potential that was never allowed to be truly realized. "Ninja Golf" was a really cool concept for a game that completely missed in it's execution. By your own summation, I think that it defines the system as a whole quite well.

The defining games for the 7800 were its launch titles:  Centipede, Galaga, and Robotron.  The fact that these oldies were launch titles in 1986 says it all.  Game over for a great system.

This really should be in the FAQ, launch titles is something that I don't

think the 5200 or 7800 FAQs contain.

Galaga I believe made its home debut but yeah they are kind of like a

shrine to the 1984 launch than should have been.

Are those three available with 1984 labels? And what where the 12 games

announced for launch? Also is it true that Midnight Mutants was the final

game released?

Here's a good resource:

http://www.atari7800.com/7800/history.htm

I don't know what tiles were released when they tested it in 1984, but in the 1986 release those 3 were the ones available at launch (I wanna say Fast Food was out at the start too but can't confirm it).

I can still recite the Colecovision and 5200 launch titles from memory.

The 7800 was a really cool system that had great potential that was never allowed to be truly realized.   "Ninja Golf" was a really cool concept for a game that completely missed in it's execution.  By your own summation, I think that it defines the system as a whole quite well.

Pardon me if I have a higher opinion of the 7800 than that.

I don't know why Ninja Golf is getting so many mentions. Yes it had an original concept and better-than-average graphics, but the actual gameplay is horrible.

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that.

I too was sucked in by the unique concept back in the day. I thought the graphics were terrific - bright, colorful, detailed and with paralax scrolling.

But I never got into the game. I found it boring, repetitive and I had to force myself to play all nine holes.

When it came to zany concepts on the 7800, I liked MIDNIGHT MUTANTS a great deal. I had fun playing BASKETBRAWL and ALIEN BRIGADE. I enjoyed SCRAPYARD DOG. I just didn't get into NINJA GOLF.

Same with FATAL RUN. When I heard about it, I thought it sounded cool. When I plugged it in, it had the makings of a good game - awesome title screen, decent music (for a 7800 title), animated sequences, password saves, lots of levels, a shop for upgrading the car ...

Except that I just didn't find it any fun!

So far I've seen two topics pop up. The subject of what game is the defining game of the 7800 and what games define the 7800.

IMHO the defining moment on the 7800 (besides Planet Smashers :lolblue: ) has to be Commando. No other game on the 7800 is as complete as that one. Great music, graphics, and arcade perfect gameplay. Plus added bonuses specific to that version of the game (hidden levels, a machine gun, knife). To me, that showed me what the 7800 was really capable of. Alien Brigade, Scrapyard Dog, and Midnight Mutants were all great, but Commando was it!

But still, the games that define the 7800 are the originals. The ones that were the focus of the system coming out in the first place. PP2, Xevious, Galaga, Ms. Pac Man, Dig Dug, etc...

I have a funny recollection on Ninja Golf. I had a 7800 yet no way to preview games or see what they looked like on the system itself. All I had was a Sears Wishbook with a small pic of the game. I thought to myself, this looks great!! Look at that dragon! I asked my mother for the game and that Christmas I opened the gift, looked at the box, laughed and thought I was in for the ride of my young video game life... end of story... :roll:

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunatly for me I was one of the many who already owned an NES by the time I first saw a 7800 in the stores, so I never owned one until just recently. However, whenever I think of 7800 I think of all of those great looking arcade ports that were available for that system.

-S

I think Impossible Mission was a great game along with Robotron 2084 two of the best titles for the 7800 Imo.

Impossible Mission would have been WAY better had you been able to beat it! :P

Maybe if those that have the FIXED game would SHARE the ROM, we'd all be able to beat it!

• 4 weeks later...
The XEGS got Food Fight also  

Yes and I'm trying to forget I ever played it. Talk about choppy...

Tempest

7800 "Food Fight" = near perfection

XE "Food Fight" = near repulsion