IGNORED

the defining game of the 7800

tyranthraxus

For me it was xevious. I was so taken by the 7800 version of xevious, that I neglected buying a xevious arcade cabinet because I was that happy with the conversion. Later on, as I aquired more games, it became robotron, which to this day is my favorite robotron version. It supports dual stick control, and I built a constom holder from two clothes hangers that keeps two wico bat sticks together and solid.

Even though it is why it failed, why it succeeded to me was because of its awesome arcade conversions. Not many people at the time cared about awesome arcade ports like food fight, centipede, etc. but I sure did :-)

For me it was xevious. I was so taken by the 7800 version of xevious, that I neglected buying a xevious arcade cabinet because I was that happy with the conversion.

I've posted many-a-time that I like the 7800 version of Xevious better than the arcade version. It really is a great playing game!

What game for you defines what the 7800 system is? Like for NES it

would probably be SMB or for the 2600 Pitfall might.

The defining game for the Atari 7800, hands down, was in fact Super Mario Brothers for the Nintendo Entertainment System! :o

If the NES never had been successful -- and Super Mario Brothers was the defining game for the NES -- the 7800 would never have been taken out of mothballs and released. Thank you, Nintendo...

I have to say he's right.

But, conversly, if Atari had half a brain and had released the 7800 back during/before the crash, there may never have been a crash and super mario bros. may have showed up the in u.s. as a licenesed title on the 7800 made by atari :-) and it would have been a better game. (I think atari's ports of the original mario brothers are better than nintendos original,) :-D