IGNORED

High Score Club Week 5: Gravitar!

Ze_ro

I remember playing this for Atari Age magazine's game master's competition back in the day. I even qualified for a timed playoff. 8) Of course I didn't do very well in the timed part, but it was still pretty cool. Should be pretty easy to score high unless I really am starting to get old and slow. :ponder:

Jeff

I'm using an emulator with the keyboard' date=' and it is almost impossible to control the ship. [/quote']

Why not just buy a cheap computer gamepad or what I use is an adapter to use the PS2 controller on the computer thru usb.

So I am playing this thru z26 with a PS2 controller. Works great 8)

I finally got a chance to play this one, and on my second game I raked in 16,650... Not too bad! I think I'm really going to have fun with this one :)

By the way, If you're anything like me, then you probably suck at that damn spiral level... if so, then simply don't do it! Do all the other planets instead, and when you finish all of them, you go on to the next level without having to do the spiral level. This probably means you miss out on a ton of points, but at least you'll survive.

I don't know if later levels allow you to do this or not.

--Zero

I'm using an emulator with the keyboard' date=' and it is almost impossible to control the ship. [/quote']

Why not just buy a cheap computer gamepad or what I use is an adapter to use the PS2 controller on the computer thru usb.

So I am playing this thru z26 with a PS2 controller. Works great 8)

That would make the most sense. . . but. . .

I play all my "emulator" games at work, which is bad enough. . . but bringing in a controller, and REALLY gaming might be pushing it. Believe me, I've considered it. For now, its keyboards for the games I can't play at home. It doesn't take away from the fun, though.

OK, it's hint time. I decided to start playing a game so I would have a better chance of remembering what happens. My first game i died pretty fast but now I am in my second game and it's all coming back to me. As I start typing this my ship is pushed against the bottom corner of the round planet on the reverse gravity level. :D (BTW, this version is so much easier than the actual arcade game you would be amazed.) Anyway, here's my strategy and tips.

First, pick a planet and go or the spaceship will come out of the reactor and attack you. If you do get attacked by the spaceship remember that, when you defeat it, whatever direction you are going will carry over to the planet screen. You can use this to your advantage at times to line yourself up in the right direction to reach a planet and as a result use less fuel.

When navigating planet surfaces, try to use a bunch of short bursts of your rockets to slow your descent. Doing this makes it a lot easier to control your ship.

Destroy each of the first set of planets (by shooting all of the gun emplacements on it's surface) picking up as much fuel with your tractor beam as possible. It might take a little while to get used to the gravity that pulls you sideways on some planets but it's worth the effort. The more fuel you collect on the easy levels the better chance of success you will have later on.

The second set of planets is quite a bit more difficult so I suggest going to the reactor and blowing it up which will take you to the next set of planets. Try not to rush in the reactor, you have more than enough time to get in and out. Once again use short bursts of your rockets to move through the spiral maze. It just takes some practice and you will be zooming through there in no time. :) Not having any gravity in there sure helps too!

The third set of planets is just as bad so you might as well destroy that reactor again. You don't get as much time but as long as you don't panic you should be alright.

The next set of planets will be the same as the first set but with reverse gravity. Once again go through each planet and collect as much fuel as you can.

When you get to the invisible planets, just shoot the walls a lot to keep your bearings.

Try each planet at least once with regular gravity and with reverse gravity. That way you will know which planet in each set is the easiest for you to do. Then if you start getting low on fuel later on you will know at which planet you have the best chance to collect some fuel.

One other thing, don't forget to use your shield! After a little playtime you will start to see where the greatest areas of danger are, ie. the most shots from the gun emplacements. If you tap your shield in dangerous areas it will be easier to react to a shot coming right at you.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll post again if I remember anything else.

Good Luck and most importantly try to have fun. :D

Jeff

OK gang, the patches are staring to ship.

Who got the hi-score for Megamania. Please send me an email with your name, addy and score. (resqsoft@earthlink.net)

Can someone please provide Todd Rogers contact info as well. I have his patch ready to ship.

This weeks patch

gravitar.jpg

As always all the patches can bee seen on my site http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/

Regards,

-Lee

A couple more tips: Unlike the arcade game, you can hold quite a bit of fuel, so after a while you probably won't need to pick up any more.

Make sure you have a comfortable chair, because once you get going you will be playing a loooooong time.

Practice the reactor! Some of those planets get pretty tough, but if you practice manuvering around that spiral and get good enough to do it in 25 seconds or less, you will be able to flip the score.

Unless of course you are like me and (after sitting on the floor way too long) have to take a break, then make sure you come back before the game times out or you lose all the bonus lives you've accumulated. :roll:

Maybe later this week I will try again, and if those really are the high scores at TwinGalaxies I'll tape my game this time. :D

My high so far is 846300.

Jeff

Edit: Forgot the photo. :ponder:

post-1375-1083640251_thumb.jpg

My high so far is 846300.

:o

Great score!! I really like to just go through the reactor too on the tough levels! Your hints are really terrific :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !!! I really hate those invisible planets too. :sad: I couldn't sit on the FLOOR for that long! :lolblue: