IGNORED

High Score Club Week 5: Gravitar!

Ze_ro

Big improvement: :)

Finally managed to beat the reactors. :)

I followed the same strategy as Jeffy, only going for the planets in the first solar system of each galaxy and then concentrating on the reactors only. I even almost managed to beat the reactor of the last solar system with reverse/invisible. :(

I wonder what would have come next. :ponder:

post-45-1084027273_thumb.png

Haven't tried the reactor on reverse gravity yet.

Don't think you'll have too much trouble... the reactor levels have NO gravity at all! :)

The third level isn't all that hard really... the only tough planet is that one with a circular center that pulls you in

No kidding! It looks so easy too...

Y'know' date=' that level, and the one in the second galaxy that also has "central" gravity are definitely the two I have the hardest time with, what with the unpredictable gravity. At least the one in the third galaxy gives you a lot of room to move around in, so except for getting that bunker in the cavern on the left, it's somewhat forgiving if you make a mistake.

Really? I'm getting 100 points for each one I shoot. You must have a rare ROM variation! ;)

What the..!? You're right! I could have sworn I wasn't getting any points for these last night... I guess I should get more sleep instead of playing video games all night...

Anyways, I got up to 46,200. Still trying to master that second galaxy.

--Zero

Actually the ones with the circular center aren't too bad for the most part. Once you get used to it you can use that pull toward the center to your advantage. You only have to thrust a little bit to keep going around in a circle and you can blast away at those bunkers.

One other thing about the reactor is that the faster you go the more you will want to point your ship toward the ceter of the screen. You will also be using longer bursts of your thrusters. Just keep practicing. :)

I'm off to tape a game and see how far I can make it using only the 6 lives you start with. :ponder:

Jeff

Looks like I will still need to play some more of this to lock in 3rd place.  :)

Challenge accepted! :)

(since first and second are totally out of reach)

Yup, I don't think I can make it much further too. My hand did hurt quite a lot after that session, maybe it would be easier if I could use a joystick.

well I got shafted on this game. I ordered a gravitar game monday morning and paid the guy extra money to send it fast. It still isn't here. If the game comes at all, the dude is getting a neutral or negative recomendation.

It appears as if I'm not going to be submitting a score. maybe next game.

Looks like I will still need to play some more of this to lock in 3rd place.  :)

Challenge accepted! :)

Hey hey, don't count me out quite yet... I plan to give both of you a run for your money ;)

... although I guess we're going for fourth now...

--Zero

... although I guess we're going for fourth now...

I bet bjk7382 will soon post a score out of reach too (at least for me).

I will try, but there isn't too much incentive now. And to think, I was actually going to ask where todd was for this week. :P

So I was taping a game of Gravitar, and after rolling the score once I decided to keep going and see if I could roll it again, even though I had been playing for quite a while. I went through the first 4 planets and then did the next 2 reactors each time I cycled through the solar systems. Just blowing up the reactors and nothing else would be way too boring. Anyway, I hadn't been dying very often and I noticed the ship counter at the top kept cycling through between black ships on blue backgrounds and just all black squares. At some point I must have flipped the extra ship counter. :lol: I had noticed it was adding the black ships on the blue background once again and after dying about 5 times on several different planets the blues were gone, but this time the game ended on my next death even though I should have had over 100 lives left. :o I still ended up with a score of 1673950. Maybe I'll get a mention as first to roll the extra lives counter. :D

I was hoping to get a response from TG about submitting a score but they must be busy with something else at the moment. I'll have to try getting ahold of Todd and see what I have to do.

Jeff

Jeffy Arensmeyer already mentioned the oddities of the lives counter in an earlier post I believe, so you're definitely not the first.

By the way, I've never actually limited high scores in previous weeks due to rolling... yet both Jeffy and Todd seem to have stopped at 999,950, although I'm sure both of them (as well as jedijeff) are thoroughly capable of playing essentially forever at this point... Would any of you guys mind if I just said that anyone who rolls the score ends up tied for first place this week? Otherwise, it seems rather pointless to make you guys blast reactors for 8 hour marathons just to match each other's scores.

--Zero

Would any of you guys mind if I just said that anyone who rolls the score ends up tied for first place this week?  

--Zero

Definitely a good idea for this game since the difficulty stays the same for each time through the different variations (ie. regular gravity, reverse gravity, invisible and reverse gravity invisible.)

Jeff

Still working on that second galaxy... boy is it ever tough. I can do pretty decently on two of the planets, but the one with the goofy gravity, and the one full of floating debris are bloody hard. Anyways, I managed to get up to 47,350.

Am I the only one who's actually playing the game and not just sniping reactors? :P

--Zero

Yeah why dare make the game challenging and not a marathon on your ass by actually playing it. :ponder:

I myself, although I do suck choose to play it by actually "playing it".

Here is my current sucky score 14,900. I'm hoping to at least double it.

All I have to say to Todd is, if this is the first time you ever played this (considering you did not have a copy). WOW. :o

Am I the only one who's actually playing the game and not just sniping reactors? :P

Probably. According to the rules, using a design flaw is ok.

BTW: I wonder if playing the invisible reactors gets easier with an autofire joystick. Did anybody try that?

Hmmm... Very interesting.

First, I'll say that I'm content with roll-over ties. I've got a wife and daughter and stuff to do around the house, so it's difficult to carve out 4 hours, much less an additional 8 hours to play Gravitar. We're at the point now where it's matter of who can play longer, not better. 8) Now is not the time nor the place. We can all meet in a online back-alley some other time. :)

"Sniping reactors" is not only fair and within the rules, it was approved by Atari during the Master Challenges. It doesn't take long to learn the patterns of the reactors, but I definately think some credit should be given for playing them for 4 hours. I've never played this game, and opened my sealed copy on Monday evening. It's not that difficult. :roll:

And for those that like to play Gravitar while standing in a bucket of water with a naked extension cord in your mouths instead of just playing Gravitar, I've about 10 non-reactor games. That's no reactor visits at all and my best score so far is just over 40K. It's all about vectors and keeping your ship turned to counteract the effects.

So, call it a design flaw

ò¿ó   smile_to_gravitar.gif

We're at the point now where it's matter of who can play longer, not better.  8)

Exactly!

It doesn't take long to learn the patterns of the reactors, but I definately think some credit should be given for playing them for 4 hours

Hm... ;)

Anyway I would have liked to see the results of "sun systems only" games. Though I know that it is impossible for me to do it for 4 hours, even I can learn the reactor pattern and even managed to beat invisible reactors within 25 seconds (well, at least sometimes ;)).

But I don't think I will be able to beat those planets in the 2nd or 3rd galaxy. So IMO that would have been the real challenge for the real champs like you, Jeff, Todd etc.