IGNORED

Pokemon, stupid addictive

Ok, so I managed to avoid the whole Pokemon trend 4 or 5 years ago, but for the heck of it, I picked up Aimee's gameboy color this past weekend, and popped in Pokemon Blue to see what it really was.

Don't you know I've been playing it non-stop since. The stupid game is freakin' addictive. I literally do have to catch them all! Stupid game.

But above all, its a really good, fun, RPG type game with plenty to do and lots of fun elements.

So, better late than never, Pokemon is pretty cool.

It's biggest mistake is that it's too easy. They should have included a "pro" option (so that if a character "faints", they are erased from your list...or at the very least, resurrected with lower stats). That would keep you on your toes better.

BTW the "fainting" in the game doesn't seem to make much sense once you get to the haunted tower (where NPC's are referring to their monsters that have died).

But catching them all is impossible unless you cheat (since Mew was only given to a few people). So have fun in your impossible quest :)

So what exactly are the differences between all the games really?

Different types and numbers of pokemon available to catch. It is like, you can't catch them all with just your game, so you have to trade with your friend Timmy who has another version. I suppose they wanted to bring people together. (or just sell a lot of games)

the latter.

I do agree that it is too easy. if you train every one you catch.

of course, if all you do is train one pokemon, and it ends up getting its ass kicked, you're.... uh, screwed. Trust me, It happened to me. Pikachu didn't talk to me much after that little ordeal.

Now ruby....there's a lot to do in ruby, and it takes a long time to complete. it's easy ( like always) but stats are so weird. A powerful pokemon? it looks big but could be a wuss. and therés nothing you can do about it unless you train it for days and days and days.....

Question, are the basic stories in Red, Blue, and Yellow the same, just with different Pokemon? Or are they different adventures?

As for being TOO easy, I think that is what I am enjoying the most. I am able to play through, train my Pokemon, evolve them and not have to level up too much or get frustrated by an impossible boss fight. Its very laid back and a fun diversion. For me, the fun is catching and training the Pokemon, not completing the adventure. :)

Oh nice, Stan. You're playing my wife's old copy :) Awesome isn't it? Little wonder it saved the Gameboy.

I did love Pokemon Yellow in particular, there just seemed to be something more personable with having Pikachu walk around with you the whole time (and you meet Jesse and James from the TV series:) )

I'm dissapointed with the new lot though. More Pokemon, less adventure - exactly the opposite way I'd hoped it would go.

One good thing about the Pokemon series, is that it acts well as a prerequiste to learning about the RPG genre. My ex's (then) 5 and 6 year old grandchildren stomped all over the blue and yellow versions within a couple months, and had since moved on to games that had more depth to them (like the FF series or Chrono Trigger).

Question' date=' are the basic stories in Red, Blue, and Yellow the same, just with different Pokemon? Or are they different adventures?

As for being TOO easy, I think that is what I am enjoying the most. I am able to play through, train my Pokemon, evolve them and not have to level up too much or get frustrated by an impossible boss fight. Its very laid back and a fun diversion. For me, the fun is catching and training the Pokemon, not completing the adventure. :)[/quote']

Red and blue are identical except that in each cart there are five(?) Pokemon that ONLY appear on one cart - so you can't get all 150 without trading. Additionally, there are some Pokemon that evolve only when traded, so you need at least one red and one blue. Yellow is the same as red/blue but you start with Pikachu, he graphically follows you around, and there is an extra level after the end of the game. Not sure which game it follows in terms of Pokemon distribution.

I really enjoyed Red, never got through Silver, and never even played Ruby/Sapphire. My understanding that Crystal is to Silver/Gold what Yellow is to Blue/Red, is that mostly correct?

Question' date=' are the basic stories in Red, Blue, and Yellow the same, just with different Pokemon? Or are they different adventures?[/quote']

Joined us at last, have you Stan? (We get everyone in the end.)

To clarify the story situation, there are three basic series so far: the original (Red/Blue), the Gold/Silver and the Ruby/Sapphire.

The releases work like this (this is probably more than anyone wants to know :)):

In Japan, the original release was Pocket Monsters: Red and Pocket Monsters: Green. There was a subsequent release, Pocket Monsters: Blue, which had a slightley altered story and new graphics (as Nintendo did not like the original ones).

In the US, Pokemon: Red Version and Pokemon Blue Version were released, utilizing the exact same story as the Japanese Red and Green, but the graphics from Blue.

Next, both the US and Japan got the "Special Pikcahu Edition" (aka 'Yellow'). This used a plot that was basically the same as Red and Blue (Green), but had elements from the TV Show. Also, unlike the other versions, you cannot choose your Pokemon. You get Pikachu, period. (A plus, however, is that you get all three of the other starting Pokemon throughout the game, the biggest change to the storyline.) In all these versions, the official Pokemon count was 150. This is the "catch 'em all" number. When you get 150, your Pokedex is complete and you're done. Getting Mew is not necessary to complete your pokedex. In Japan, Mew could be gotten from Nintendo or by completing your Pokedex. In the US and elsewhere, it could only be gotten at Nintendo functions (I have one thanks to my sister standing in line for an hour and a half in Boston, since they never came near me).

The second wave began with Gold and Silver. These had a completely new story and updated graphics. They were followed by Crystal Version, which was the only Pokemon title to be made specifically for the Game Boy Color. Crystal was (like Yellow before it) a slightly altered version of the preceding games. The biggest change was that Crystal introduced the concept of choosing to play as a boy or a girl. It also introduced a real-time clock, with certain events happening only at certain times and some Pokemon only available to catch, for instance, at night. It was fully compatible with the other Pokemon games, but (as I stated) was GBC only. The number of Pokemon extended at this point to 251. In Japan, Crystal came with an apapter allowing players to hook there system up to a cell phone to trade Pokemon. This was removed from the US version because cell phones systems are more complicated (and less cross-compatible) here.

The GBA entered the world of Pokemon with Ruby and Sapphire. This time, not only was there yet another new land and Pokemon, but all ties to the original games were severed (why will soon be apparent). R/S cannot connect or trade with any of the GB/GBC Pokemon games. Ruby and Sapphire tell the same story from two different perspectives (either you see Team Magma trying to cover the Earth in lava or Team Aqua try to cover the world in water). Most of the changes are less revolutionary than the changes in G/S/C: things like Berry growing and Pokemon contests. The biggest ones are probably two on two Pokemon battles and the whole Pokemon e-Reader cards thing.

Next up is Fire Red and Leaf Green (already out in Japan). As the names imply, they are re-makes of the original Pokemon games, returning you to the land of Kanto and, for the most part, the original Pokemon. You can choose to be a girl this time out, of course, and there are many changes to the storyline to keep it fresh. The most important innovation here is the inclusion of support for the wireless adapter. The adapter is the new way to communicate between GBAs. It plug in where your cable used to go and allows you to communicate and trade wirelessly. Games have to be written for it, but all games going forward will support it and eventually it will replace link cable support (the DS uses the same wireless linking). To facilitate the switchover, Nintendo is giving a wireless adapter away free with Fire Red and Leaf Green, just as they did in Japan.

Okay, I think I've nattered on long enough.

Welcome.

post-51-1086835356_thumb.jpg

As for the "easy-ness" issue, the thing that makes the Pokemon games great is that they adhere to the old axiom "easy to learn difficult to master".

The basics of gameplay, as well as the ability to 'beat' the game (become champion) is not particularly difficult. Honing your skills, developing the perfect team, etc. can be a rewarding practice, since it makes catching needed Pokemon easier, helps in PvP battles, etc. There is amazing depth for those who wish to find it. There is also great fun for those who just want a romp.

There's a reason it's been such a continual sales success so long after the novelty wore off and the fad died. Most RPGs are one or the other: incredibly deep (making it hard for many to get in to them) or extremely simple (making long-term gameplay value limited). Pokemon has the perfect balance.

BTW, based on the original Japanese release, Pokemon turns *ten* next year.

Hands up, who feels old?

I feel REALLY old. Thanks

Thanks, Rhindle, its nice to know I'm not alone. :D

The game is really, really fun. I'm up to the Safari Zone, and MAN are there a LOT of good Pokemon still to catch! Tons of fun, this one.

Looks like I have to track down Red and Yellow, methinks I must obtain them all. :D :D :D

But catching them all is impossible unless you cheat (since Mew was only given to a few people). So have fun in your impossible quest :)

I can't remember what it was, but there was some sort of bug that could be used to catch whichever one you wanted. All I remember is that I managed to stack up multiple Mews in storage. I can remember somehow entering the index codes for various pokemon and knowing the codes for all of them, but I'm pretty sure I've never used a GB Game Genie. Maybe it was something like have N of a certain item, then trigger the bug.