IGNORED

Pokemon, stupid addictive

But catching them all is impossible unless you cheat (since Mew was only given to a few people). So have fun in your impossible quest :)

I can't remember what it was' date=' but there was some sort of bug that could be used to catch whichever one you wanted. All I remember is that I managed to stack up multiple Mews in storage. I can remember somehow entering the index codes for various pokemon and knowing the codes for all of them, but I'm pretty sure I've never used a GB Game Genie. Maybe it was something like have N of a certain item, then trigger the bug.[/quote']

It's the Missingno glitch (that's in red and blue...dunno about yellow). You talk to the old guy that demonstrates how to catch Pokemon, then swim along the island until it shows up. This glitch will also give you over 100 of whatever item is listed 6th in your inventory. The species of other types that show up are based off your name.

And it IS considered cheating :)

The only way I can catch Mew or Celebi (in Gold/Silver) is with a Game Genie. I use the Missingno trick to get more Master Balls or a whole bunch of nuggets to cash in.

I also use a trick for the Red & Blue versions of the game, like the Missingno one, that lets you catch Pokémon that are in the Safari Zone easily.

I love this game. If it weren't for Pokémon, I would just be called "Nut" on the forums!

So what's the Pokemon distribution in Yellow' date=' anyways? Does it have the blue or red roster, or both?[/quote']

It's a mix. You get some of the Red only Pokemon and some of the Blue only ones. As I think I mentioned before, you also receive each of the three "starter" Pokemon: Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charmander. This alone makes it the one to play if you're only playing one. (But why would you do that? ;))

So what's the Pokemon distribution in Yellow' date=' anyways? Does it have the blue or red roster' date=' or both?[/quote'']

It's a mix. You get some of the Red only Pokemon and some of the Blue only ones. As I think I mentioned before, you also receive each of the three "starter" Pokemon: Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charmander. This alone makes it the one to play if you're only playing one. (But why would you do that? ;))

How do you do that? I mean, I remember cheating to get them all the first time through - picking one, trading it away, picking the next, trading it away, picking the third, and then trading the first two back.

Are they wild or do you start with all four(!)?

if it means I can have a MEW' date=' I'll take it, cheating or no. Its the only way I'm ever going to see one, so as long as it works and it won't crash my game, I'll do it. :)[/quote']

Not by using the glitch...Mew is still impossible to get that way (because it's binary value is out of range). You'd need to use a Gameshark code to make it appear unless you get it right from Nintendo. And if you are using codes, you might as well use one that will allow you to catch Mew in the wild (least chance of the game getting messed up or corrupted from Missingno's evil twin Mblock).

As for owning all the other types, the glitch makes it slightly easier (though you'll still need to use codes to change your in-progress game name to catch more than 3 types within a single game).

So what's the Pokemon distribution in Yellow' date=' anyways? Does it have the blue or red roster' date=' or both?[/quote'']

How do you do that? I mean, I remember cheating to get them all the first time through - picking one, trading it away, picking the next, trading it away, picking the third, and then trading the first two back.

Are they wild or do you start with all four(!)?

Different areas. In Yellow, Bulbasaur can be obtained for free in Cerulean City. Squirtle is free in Vermilion City. And Charmander is on Route 24.

Rhindle. I never thought I'd say this, but you are a GOD among Pokémon.

Oh, and the reference to the SHOE thing...

chinpokomon-shoe.jpgchinpokomon-town.jpg

Episode 310: CHINPoKoMON

Even if you don't like South Park, this episode hit the whole thing right on the head.

"Got to buy 'em all!" :D

How do you do that? I mean' date=' I remember cheating to get them all the first time through - picking one, trading it away, picking the next, trading it away, picking the third, and then trading the first two back.

Are they wild or do you start with all four(!)?[/quote']

Different areas. In Yellow, Bulbasaur can be obtained for free in Cerulean City. Squirtle is free in Vermilion City. And Charmander is on Route 24.

Exactly.

It's part of the whole "loosely following the plot of the TV show" thing. Since Ash starts with Pikachu and eventually gets Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander, so do you. The circumstances within Yellow mirror the events in the show. For instance, Charmander is just sitting out in the open, having been abandoned by its owner. One of the niftier aspects of Yellow.

FYI, my Yellow cart is the one I consider to be "my game" (Character name: Hamlet. Rival name: Laertes). The others were used mainly to facilitate success in Yellow. For instance, it was my copy of Blue that I mailed to my sister so she could get Mew for me. I then transferred him to Yellow.

One good thing about the Pokemon series' date=' is that it acts well as a prerequiste to learning about the RPG genre. My ex's (then) 5 and 6 year old grandchildren stomped all over the blue and yellow versions within a couple months, and had since moved on to games that had more depth to them (like the FF series or Chrono Trigger).[/quote']

It is a good way to get younger people started on RPG's. But I was angered when someone saw me playing the God-like Earthbound and declare it was a Pokemon ripoff. :x

Anybody got any tips on catching Exeggecute and Chansey in the Safari Zone?

I think I've picked up the rest of the critters from that area, but these two elude me.

Is Lapras in the Safari Zone?

GameFAQ's suprisingly weak for anything other than walkthroughs for this game. :? :? :?

Anybody got any tips on catching Exeggecute and Chansey in the Safari Zone?

I think I've picked up the rest of the critters from that area, but these two elude me.  

Is Lapras in the Safari Zone?

GameFAQ's suprisingly weak for anything other than walkthroughs for this game. :?  :?  :?

You will find Lapras at the Silph Co. building in Saffron City. After you beat Gary (your rival) on one floor, go to the man nearby to get Lapras from him.

Besides the Safari Zone, you can catch Chansey at the cave northwest of Cerulean City. You have to use a Pokémon that knows SURF to get to the cave.

Here's the trick to get Safari Zone Pokémon outside Safari Zone so you can catch them as regular Pokémon, only works in the Red and Blue versions of the game. I just copied this from a guide at GameFAQs:

A safari zone cheat. How to catch the special "rare" Pokémon from the Safari zone.  

First, go to the safari zone and to the grassy  

area that contains the Pokémon you want. Then, walk around until you run out of

steps. Afterwards, go to waters below the Fuchsia City Pokémon center

and SURF all the way to the shore line of the Seafoam Islands. Don't

fight any trainers and keep along the left and top when you come to

the corner. While still surfing, keep along shoreline going up and down

along it, and you'll start to fight the Safari Zone Pokémon and be

able to fight them and use the poke ball of your choice!

Here's the same thing from guides.ign.com, if this makes much more sense.

Fight Land Creatures in Water and Catch Safari Pokemon Easily  

Note: This trick is a glitch and will only work with Pokemon Blue and Red. It has been fixed in Yellow.  

To fight creatures that normally live on land in water and encounter Safari Zone Pokemon outside the area, go to the water around Cinnabar Island or Seafoam Islands (The only place you can be randomly attacked while swimming.) Swim along the shore of any island and you will fight land creatures. (You have to swim on a place where the square is half land and half water.)  

Instead of fighting a set group of monsters in the water, you actually fight monsters from the last place you were. So to get Safari Zone monsters, you need to go to the section of the Safari Zone with that monster, let your time run out, then go to the coast. Using this trick, you can catch Kangaskhan, Scyther, and Tauros without any problems.

This trick works good, but you can only catch the Pokémon in the part of the Safari Zone you ran out of time in. Try to run out of time in different parts of the Safari Zone and try this trick again to catch all the ones in the Safari Zone.

Not precisely on topic, but I'm wondering if anyone might have a spare Pokemon Stadium manual for trade. I'll have a list of extra boxes and manuals I'm unloading up in a few days.

TIA.

thanks everybody, I now have my Lapras and others.

However, I am wondering two things:

1. Is there any way to rename Pokemon after you have caught them and they initially ask you if you want to knickname it. I keep getting Pokemon in trade from in-game characters and they are named the most innane things, and I'd LOVE to give them their correct names. (I just want a Mr. Mime called "Mr. Mime" not Marcel :roll: )

2. Can I find Lickitung, Tauros, and Farfetch'd in the wild or are they only obtainable via trade with in-game characters?

Thanks!

thanks everybody, I now have my Lapras and others.

However, I am wondering two things:

1.  Is there any way to rename Pokemon after you have caught them and they initially ask you if you want to knickname it.  I keep getting Pokemon in trade from in-game characters and they are named the most innane things, and I'd LOVE to give them their correct names.  (I just want a Mr. Mime called "Mr. Mime" not Marcel :roll: )

2.  Can I find Lickitung, Tauros, and Farfetch'd in the wild or are they only obtainable via trade with in-game characters?

Thanks!

1. Nope.

2. Farfetch'd: Nope. Tauros is "wild" in the Safari Zone. I THINK Lickitung can be found in the wild but it's been a LONG time.

1.  Is there any way to rename Pokemon after you have caught them and they initially ask you if you want to knickname it.  I keep getting Pokemon in trade from in-game characters and they are named the most innane things, and I'd LOVE to give them their correct names.  (I just want a Mr. Mime called "Mr. Mime" not Marcel :roll: )

Um, yeah - there's that naming chap - oh, what the hell is he called? - I think he's in lavender town anyway. The only Pokemon he won't let you rename are ones that have already been named by others (ie. trade pokemon). Don't recall if he'll let you rename Pokemon from NPC trades. Try it :)

Ok, I will, I DID visit him once but didn't really investigate all that he could do.

Any tips for grabbing Exeggecute and Chansey from the Safari zone? Is there any ratio of bait/rocks that you have to use or is it all luck?