IGNORED

Atari Speech Synth

Richard H.

Will the games be like Berzerk VE, or will the games have even more/better sounds?

Even though Berzerk VE is a monumental hack! .. the AtariVox has the capability of making the voice happen during the gameplay! This is the case with the Vectrex hack of Berzerk that works with the VecVox.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

BTW the answer to the question above is "you will recieve your speech synth approximately 20 minutes after posting on Atari Age". It's here and I'm gazing at it longingly - just like I said. Now I gotta build one of those nice little speaker boxes out of the CX-40's base like I saw online somewhere. :)

BTW the answer to the question above is "you will recieve your speech synth approximately 20 minutes after posting on Atari Age".  It's here and I'm gazing at it longingly - just like I said.  Now I gotta build one of those nice little speaker boxes out of the CX-40's base like I saw online somewhere.  :)

You will have to add an amplifier to it. I plan to build my AtariVox inside an Atari 2600 cart. Then I can have DB9 input and Audio out where the PCB sticks out. Speaker and amp are to be a singular Computer Speaker. I plan to do the same for my VecVox .. build it into a Vectrex cart.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I had a feeling that it would need some sort of amplification. I also was going to use amplified PC speakers for the unit, but I'm very tempted to find a little amp circuit that could fit into a CX-40. Of course I'd still want to run audio output to the stereo (blow up my neighbors with that synthesized speech) but for regular play it seems like a little speaker close at hand would work.

Any suggestions for some little amplifier circuit board?

I had a feeling that it would need some sort of amplification.  I also was going to use amplified PC speakers for the unit, but I'm very tempted to find a little amp circuit that could fit into a CX-40.  Of course I'd still want to run audio output to the stereo (blow up my neighbors with that synthesized speech) but for regular play it seems like a little speaker close at hand would work.  

Any suggestions for some little amplifier circuit board?

No need - the AtariVox has an amp built in. (Same goes for the VecVox.)

I'm just using the non-amplified 2nd speaker from a pair of old Altec Lansing PC speakers and it's plenty loud!

Alex

the AtariVox has an amp built in

The AtariVox's output power, when connected to an 8ohm speaker, is approximately 300 mW (with the Atari's 5V supply).

Doesn't sound a lot, but it's pretty loud.

I have mine connected to an un-powered speaker (like Alex) and never have the volume pot above half way.

I just got my AtariVox in the mail today :D

I have a question about it now...

Mainly, do I have to worry about power problems running this on the 7800 with the CC2? Since obviously the cuttle cart also uses power along with the atarivox, I am not going to have to worry about burning something out (I am mainly worried about the CC2)

I am asking this because I noticed after a while playing it with MGD the bottom of the CC2 was getting warm as well as the 7800 behind the cartridge slot.

Just curious, and if there is any chance of it hurting my cc2, I will wait and only use the atarivox on the 2600 with any games that get sold for it.

I just got my AtariVox in the mail today :D  

I have a question about it now...  

Mainly, do I have to worry about power problems running this on the 7800 with the CC2? Since obviously the cuttle cart also uses power along with the atarivox, I am not going to have to worry about burning something out (I am mainly worried about the CC2)  

I am asking this because I noticed after a while playing it with MGD the bottom of the CC2 was getting warm as well as the 7800 behind the cartridge slot.

Just curious, and if there is any chance of it hurting my cc2, I will wait and only use the atarivox on the 2600 with any games that get sold for it.

I seriously doubt there's any risk to the CC2 at all. It's the voltage regulator in the 7800 that's going to take all the load and that's attached to a heat sink just behind the cart slot, so that's where the warmth is coming from.

I believe Richard has been doing all his testing using a CC2 so if there was a problem, I think he would have found out by now.

Alex

Care to create a software bundle

Please explain ?

I mean, when people start programming to take advantage of the voice synth, perhaps you could sell a multicart with a few of voice enhanced games on it with the synth for additional cash? Or just a couple of carts (rather than a multi?)

PM Sent!