IGNORED

Atari Speech Synth

Richard H.

looks like a few here have made there own custom cases,  i plan on doing the same,  AA will be coming out with a case for them too. its still early i believe for them to of actually have a case ready, im sure its gonna be soon or soon enough :)

It's not likely that we'll have a case for them until sometime in January. Richard Hutchinson designed the AtariVox to fit in a particular case, which I have a sample of, and it's likely we'd use this case. The case has enough room for an internal speaker, and this is something I need some time to experiment with.

..Al

loopcart "january"  atarivox case "january"    owning your atarivox now "priceless" 8)

One of the main reasons I wanted to add the AtariVox to the store now was so homebrew authors, and others interested in writing software to take advantage of the AtariVox, could get their hands on one immediately. Plus it helps increase exposure of the AtariVox so when titles do start coming out, people will have already heard of it. :)

..All

Those are really valid points.  I just hope that once you've got the cases sorted out, that perhaps you'll make some available to those of us who bought the AtariVox thingy already.  I bought mine directly from the creator before I knew that AtariAge would be carrying them with a case later.

If the case we end up using doesn't require a change to the circuit board dimensions, then yes, I'll make it available to everyone who purchased an AtariVox previously. :)

..Al

ah, so what your saying is, i could take a cable from the speaker output of atarivox and put the other end to a input of a recording device and record that way ?

Pretty much, or in this case:

Atarivox output -> cable -> Soundcard input and then use the software to record your wavefile. Windows' built in audio recorder probably would work in this case.

In the past I've used Total Recorder for other jobs because it will record analog sound. If I remember right, Windows' Audio Recorder wouldn't record the sound from games or programs that I was running on my computer. This shouldn't be the case with the Atarivox (totally different scenario, really), so you could probably ignore the bit about Total Recorder from my earlier post. I guess I was a little bit confused myself. ;-)

in theory is it possible to use that device for atari 800 as well???

Yes, it should work on anything that has a joystick port pinout similar to the 2600 / 7800.

The following pins are used in the AtariVox -

Pin 1 - digital (u)

Pin 2 - digital (d)

Pin 3 - digital (l)

Pin 4 - digital ®

Pin 7 - +5V

Pin 8 - GND

Take a look at Alex's driver notes, it should give you enough info to code a driver for another system -

http://www.atariage.com/store/misc/atarivox.zip

ah, so what your saying is, i could take a cable from the speaker output of atarivox and put the other end to a input of a recording device and record that way ?

In the past I've used Total Recorder for other jobs because it will record analog sound. If I remember right, Windows' Audio Recorder wouldn't record the sound from games or programs that I was running on my computer. This shouldn't be the case with the Atarivox (totally different scenario, really), so you could probably ignore the bit about Total Recorder from my earlier post. I guess I was a little bit confused myself. ;-)

all total recorder does is create a virtual audio cable and tap the record output. You can do a similar thin natively in winamp.. or just route your sound card output into its input 9just turn the monitoring volume all the way down) and use the meters to set your recording levels.

Its too bad it only comes with a 1/8th jack... maybe they could add an option for rca or 1/4 in? :)

peter