IGNORED

kinda bad news

Cafeman

I don't care. This effing SUCKS. I've been quietly waiting for my Adventure II forever.... seems like since I was 3. Finally someone makes a killer app for the 5200 and then this happens.

I want one of the original boxes and label... even if its "mailed by misatake" along with my purchase of quest for the golden chalice or w/e.

No matter what it will always be Adventure II to us. This will be the Halo of the 5200.

How about the word "Adventure"...isn't that already too broad for a copyright dispute to arise? (in the same sense that you can sell a mouse trap and advertise it AS a mouse trap). The game is an adventure game...just as countless others are. As long as the code is 100% unique, I don't see how this could become an issue :?

Or what about something like "Adventure Quest" or something along those lines? Better yet... why not just "II" ....that would be very very cool.

I cannot tell you how dissapointing this is. I'm just thankful Atari didn't threaten to can this thing completely. So much worh has been put into this game, I'm still as excited as can be to finally get to play it.

Why not just keep the boxes and cover the offending title with new easy to peel off printed lables? Seems to me it would be cheaper than printing new boxes.

There were certainly more than a few examples of stickers over printing on games back in the day. It would give it more of that "authentic" feel. :-)

What exactly is Atari saying, and why are you guys afraid to sit down and type it? Does Atari really think a homebrew for that eventually sells 200 copies for $40 a piece is a threat? Atari will never support any of its systems with cartridges again, and it will probably never do anything with the 5200 catalog of games.

By the way, lets ban all of the discussions with homemade lables on them too. Don't tell anyone that Atari2600.com is still selling Haunted House II 3d and Combat 2. Did they pay someone off???

What exactly is Atari saying, and why are you guys afraid to sit down and type it?  Does Atari really think a homebrew for that eventually sells 200 copies for $40 a piece is a threat?  Atari will never support any of its systems with cartridges again, and it will probably never do anything with the 5200 catalog of games.

Take this for what it's worth, as I have 0 inside knowledge about the current proceedings.

As far as copyright laws go, I do know that it is the copyright owner's responsibility to defend said copyright. If they do not defend their copyright, everytime, they could lose rights to it, or at least a legal right to sue for people breaking it.

Five years ago, who could have seen all this coming? Who thought you would be able to walk into Wal-Mart and buy a Jakks joystick with Atari games on it? Certainly not me! But now they are in a position where they are selling products in stores to the general public that could be seen as competing with these homebrew carts. To them, games is games and money is money. And by "them" I mean the lawyers -- I'm sure the programmers could care less.

With talk about a 2600 in a stick and the sales of Jakks joysticks, it's certainly not inconceivable to see a 5200 release as well at some point in the future. Maybe we'll see it, maybe we won't, but the big A is certainly going to keep that option open. For those of you that follow emulation and roms and the Internet, you already know that Atari is like an angel compared to Nintendo.

It isn't Atari, it's just a stupid french company called Infogrames. Greedy like hell. Plain dumb and arrogant people. So they think they are so smart, bashing us, classic gaming fans. In fact they are so smart they think a homebrew game for a long dead platform will hurt their profit.

That is fine with me. I will never buy anything from this stupid french company again.

Just a few months ago Infogrames couldn't care less about those properties, and now just because classic gaming is mainstream again, those greedy companies started to threat us, dedicated fans who have kept those things alive for so long. I must confess, I feel so sickened. I feel ashamed of being part of it, of being a classic gaming fan. I would just quit but it would mean they have won, which I don't think would be any good to my beloved hobby.

Since Albert told me the news I have been thinking about this whole thing. Then I realised I am not under US copyright laws. Yeah, that's right, I am not under US laws, so I don't give a shit about Infogrames (which isn't even an US company). With it in mind, I have decided to do my best from now on to keep infringing every Atari related copyright I can think of, in every possible way. :x

Cafeman and Dave, I feel so sorry for you guys. I feel so sorry for all of us...

Eduardo

I think that this will blow over in a little bit of time. The only people that I have seen get excited about retro-gaming is (no offence here) us older people that have played these games when they were released or shortly there-after and can appreciate them. Once the yuppies slow there buying of retro related items, then the corperate lawyers will forget about this scene.

Case in point, I went to the local gamestop and picked up a copy of Gradius V (the game rocks!) and when I went back and talked with the 18 year old kid behind the counter about the game, he said he couldn't play those type of games (I made him try r-type final when it came out) because it frustrates him. I think we should just chill out a little bit and wait for this to blow over.

There is one good thing that has come out of all of this. Eduardo "opcode" the new badboy of retro gaming ;)

-mike

Since Albert told me the news I have been thinking about this whole thing. Then I realised I am not under US copyright laws. Yeah, that's right, I am not under US laws, so I don't give a shit about Infogrames (which isn't even an US company). With it in mind, I have decided to do my best from now on to keep infringing every Atari related copyright I can think of, in every possible way.  :x

Now THAT is a thought. Since anything out of the US isn't bound by US copyright, I wonder if it would be easier to have the carts produced elsewhere? Then they can be made just like in the good old :pirate: days...and imported back. Costs a little more to mail, but oh well.

Isn't there someone in Canada or Mexico or say I dunno, Alderan who can put the stickers on these things?

I suppose Atari would already know right where to go if these things were released as Adventure II even if it was out of Anarctica... they'd still come knocking on the programmers door, and then on the door of Alex & Albert. None of us would want that.

Isn't there someone in Canada or Mexico or say I dunno, Alderan who can put the stickers on these things?

I suppose Atari would already know right where to go if these things were released as Adventure II even if it was out of Anarctica... they'd still come knocking on the programmers door, and then on the door of Alex & Albert. None of us would want that.

Canada would be very friendly to helping out with a US copyright - One could prob assume that Infrogrames or the old Atari copyrighted their material worldwide - You;'d need to find some place in China, Tawian or NYC to produce them for ya ;)

Now THAT is a thought. Since anything out of the US isn't bound by US copyright, I wonder if it would be easier to have the carts produced elsewhere? Then they can be made just like in the good old  days...and imported back. Costs a little more to mail, but oh well.

I would be willing to help. And before someone get the wrong idea, I usually act by the law; I use just licensed software in my computer, all my GameCube CDs are official and purchased legally, as are my GB cartridges. And even if I can make Atari and ColecoVision cartridges reproductions at will, I don't make, even for my personal use (really! I prefer to look for a used cartridge somewhere).

But man, it's just getting out of hand! If Infogrames wants to rerelease those games, it's fine with me. I am sure a lot of people want to play them but probably don't want to deal with ancient hardware or even emulators. But hell, how can a homebrew game make any harm?! Worst, Infogrames is doing a disfavour to itself, threatening us like that. We're like video game otaku and they should know how important otaku can be in setting trends... We are opinion creators in this business, we are being playing videogames since the 70s. A few of us are even industry insiders, working on videogame companies and magazines. But instead of showing us how much they have appreciated our support over the years, they are now threatening us just cause we are creating new games for our beloved ancient machines. Oh, give me a break. They are so stupid they haven't even realised they could use these very same homebrews to fuel their retro gaming business.

Well, again, I am willing to help. Just tell how I could better do that.

Eduardo

Atari is Atari. Like a company is a company. Making profit is there only leisure. No moral. No law. No reason. We are in the golden age of capitalism. Infogrames bought Atari, he took himself an undead, a company who had big flaws to begin with, changing their market strategies every year, being bought by Mr. Tramiel, not supporting their systems, etc. As long you are there with the only thing in mind PROFIT, your head gets emptied slowly, you become a hard head with nothing inside, and certainly you won't understand nothing about the value of rich tradition and memories that certain leisure gave us over time.[/i]

Atari is Atari. Like a company is a company

I desagree. The soul of a company is people, in this case creative people. Once they are gone, there is nothing left. Computers and desks can't produce anything by themselves. Atari is just a name now...

Eduardo

Since anything out of the US isn't bound by US copyright, I wonder if it would be easier to have the carts produced elsewhere?  Then they can be made just like in the good old :pirate: days...and imported back.

Hmmmmmm .... :ponder:

That's a bit different (actually a LOT different)...since they are the programmers that created the original...and are still selling a version of it. I'd afford the same respect to all programmers who are still very much alive and kickin' before I'd even consider to profit off their work. If the company had changed hands already or if the original was no longer in production, it would be a different story (since anybody who had a hand in it's creation had already gotten the pie).

Speaking of which...the legality of copyrights abroad makes me wonder what exactly EV were afraid of. Does Namco's US copyright hold in Europe? Or do they produce them here in the states?