IGNORED

kinda bad news

Cafeman

Atari is Atari. Like a company is a company

I desagree. The soul of a company is people, in this case creative people. Once they are gone, there is nothing left. Computers and desks can't produce anything by themselves. Atari is just a name now...

Eduardo

I understand, but usally there few people in a company who take the decision , profit oriented decisions. and that sometimes seals the faith of many companies who in a long run see noth is left inside them, in their soul. Yes, the soul of a company is the people, the programmers, the graphic artists, the conceptors, but Atari jeopardize many time these talents for unnecessary marketing. Just a fast example : The package of their products, they started with attractive packaging to econo packaging. Where is the soul in there? they had none! They had only profit in there head ...be it Atari video game machine or Atari computers.

There are some good suggestions and I've thought about many of them, too. For ex, stickers over anything consider an IP on the box.

To be honest, there is nothing about the Square Trio's game (erm, you do know its more of a duo now, right?) that is violating any trademarked IP name. IMO, only the "II" itself implies a follow up to an owned intellectual property, so as of this moment in time, the name is changed. Which I hate but watcha gonna do? maybe in a little time, the original name will be acceptable but I am not betting on it. To be honest, if it were me alone I'd keep it as is but others gotta be more careful.

BTW, the names of the dragons in QftGC :) are Orgle, Ssithel, and Brundle. :)

As far as copyright laws go, I do know that it is the copyright owner's responsibility to defend said copyright. If they do not defend their copyright, everytime, they could lose rights to it, or at least a legal right to sue for people breaking it.

s/copyright/trademark/g

Confusing the two is a pet peeve of mine. They are NOT interchangeable.

With all this talk of a new label, etc. I was wondering if the original Adventure II label would be carried over with new text for the updated name, or if there was going to be a new label design created? If so maybe AtariAge could hold another label contest.

It isn't Atari, it's just a stupid french company called Infogrames. Greedy like hell. Plain dumb and arrogant people. So they think they are so smart, bashing us, classic gaming fans. In fact they are so smart they think a homebrew game for a long dead platform will hurt their profit.  

That is fine with me. I will never buy anything from this stupid french company again.

Eduardo

Well, I for one love it! It reminds me of the old Atari: big, bullying, and throwing lawsuits around like crazy. I'm gonna organize a bitch session with Ralph Baer, the Activision founders, and the Blue Sky Rangers.

Hot damn, the 80s are back :)

It isn't Atari, it's just a stupid french company called Infogrames. Greedy like hell. Plain dumb and arrogant people. So they think they are so smart, bashing us, classic gaming fans. In fact they are so smart they think a homebrew game for a long dead platform will hurt their profit.  

That is fine with me. I will never buy anything from this stupid french company again.

Eduardo

I don't see how it matters that they're French. By the way, would you like some Freedom Toast or Freedom Fries? I made too much and have some left over. Unless, of course, you'd rather have some cheese with that whine.

Last time I checked they didn't own a title called Castle Crisis either. :ponder:

That's an interesting point. If Castle Crisis was pulled for "looking like" an Atari title, why wouldn't they do the same with this? Will changing the name affect the outcome? If so, why did Castle Crisis have to go?

I also wonder what's going to happen to the resurrection of Tempest for the 5200. I guess we can call that and the 5200 Airworld project dead too :sad:

I'm glad I didn't put anymore work in Tempest :roll:

Are you suggesting that Infogrames would be suing anybody that has a game that looks similar to one of the titles they aquired? If so, they've got a pretty big job ahead.

Copyrights and fair use of programming techniques...Sega vs. Accolade

As long as nothing copyright-protected is taken from a publicly distributed program for reuse in a computer, the copyright owner loses no sales and suffers no other copyright-cognizable harm.

BTW the Atari "fuji" symbol is also a registered trademark. In addition to carrying a unique name, I'd suggest that the symbol (and ALL references to Atari) should probably be avoided as well. If that were done, I don't see how they would have a leg to stand on :? Especially since there are already public-domain versions of some of the game concepts in question. Was Craig Pell ever sued over Indenture? Atari (then owned by Hasbro) definately knew about the program...since he contacted them himself.

So who's joining me in my boycott of ALL Infogrames-Atari products? And is it time for me to say, after two years of predicting this very obvious eventuality, that this is what I told you you'd get for supporting corporate classic gaming efforts?

By screaming for companies like Activision and Atari to exploit the older games, you've put an end to independent games and publishers like this one. Let's vote with our dollars and get big business out of our hobby, not just for ourselves but for the future classic gamers. This corporate oppression will extend to systems like the Jag, Lynx, and on to Sega and even the damn Wonderswan. If we don't act by making InfoAtari regret the day they approved the Flashback then video game players will never again have anything as good as the age of 2600 which has apparently now ended. Boycott everything they make. I'll buy their products again after they back off.

Good point Dennis. Since QftGC still has a square as the main character, dragons, a chalice, bridges, etc, Infogrames can decide is close enough to the original Adventure to prevent Cafeman from selling it. IMHO the whole Castle Crisis issue has just shown us how utterly evil Infogrames is planning to act from now on. Now just check the AA Store: how many 5200 games are left (even the repros were taken out)? How many WIP projects are already suffering due to Infogrames actions against us? What will be next? Would they use Tempest's motto against him (all your protos are belong to us, Tempest)?

Homebrews are the future in this hobby. To deny it a future is the same as to deny the hobby a future. 'Make just original games', you say. Well, but we can't use the Atari logo on it anymore, and it alone takes out a lot of the appeal, right? Afterall, all of us like to have new games released using standard Atari boxes and labels.

The future is dark and IMHO we will be forced to go underground or stop. Our homebrew scene is too small and fragile and it is now in considerable danger because a lot of the appeal is gone. Less people buying means we won't be able to invest as much as before.

Eduardo

Good point Dennis. Since QftGC still has a square as the main character, dragons, a chalice, bridges, etc, Infogrames can decide is close enough to the original Adventure to prevent Cafeman from selling it.

A lot of games feature such items. And none of those objects are copyrighted. Atarigrames has no case.

So who's joining me in my boycott of ALL Infogrames-Atari products? And is it time for me to say, after two years of predicting this very obvious eventuality, that this is what I told you you'd get for supporting corporate classic gaming efforts?

Count me in!! I will boycott them...and will do even worst... :evil:

I knew this was coming.

I would join immediately, but I still have some hope this is only a temporary problem. And calling for a boycott won't make negotiations (which I am sure are happenig right now) any easier.

Though the sheer number of negative reactions might help. :ponder:

Homebrews are the future in this hobby. To deny it a future is the same as to deny the hobby a future. 'Make just original games', you say. Well, but we can't use the Atari logo on it anymore, and it alone takes out a lot of the appeal, right? Afterall, all of us like to have new games released using standard Atari boxes and labels.

What makes you think Infogrames gives a crap about the future of this hobby? They see a passing fad and want to capitalize on it and milk it dry before it fades away. They don't care about the hobbyists.

@NS re: Adventure images, you're right, it won't hold up in court, but do you honestly think a hobbyist programmer who has a full time job and a life away from his/her hobby is going to have the time and money to challenge it in court? These companies realize this and also realize that the bully tactics whether they are legal or ethical will probably work about 99% of the time.

I have not heard anything from Atari about either of the 5200 projects I am involved in, Airworld and Tempest.

Most likely they will be affected though, as Atari does own the rights to both properties.

I'm not sure if Infogrames owns the legal rights to the arcade division. They were two separate companies in the end.

Shall I start by running over my copy of Driver 3? :D

I'm thinking about buying a flashback unit and dragging it behind my car and then taking pictures. :D