IGNORED

Thoughts on GTA:SA

kisrael

I havent played it yet, but Im dying to. I cant pick mine up until tomorow, but how are the graphics compared to Vice City's and how is the framerate?

I'm not too framerate sensitive, but I haven't noticed slowdown.

A bit of very notable popup here and there, perhaps....and some surprisingly long cut scene load times. But all in all nothing that interferes with the game itself.

havin' a blast with it, I love the mini games, so far I've only lost 50$ in a pool game, but skimmin' through the brady guide, I've noticed you can be a pimp WTF this is awesome. I also like the fact that that you be a burglar, compete in lowrider contests, to much else to get into.

Yeah this game really goes crazy with the sidequests and minigames...

havin' a blast with it, I love the mini games, so far I've only lost 50$ in a pool game, but skimmin' through the brady guide, I've noticed you can be a pimp WTF this is awesome. I also like the fact that that you be a burglar, compete in lowrider contests, to much else to get into.

How far are you in the game?

I can't find any lowrider contest and I never heard anything about being a pimp...

Do you have to go somewhere or will I eventually get to it in the missions?

There are alot of many games.

Has anybody played the video game at the Johnson House that's like Gyruss for the NES?

A bit of very notable popup here and there,

Not having a PS2 (yet anyways), I'm actually suprized to hear that pop-up is still a problem. Quite honestly, GTA:SA is the only reason I'm considering getting a PS2. Crap. :|

I wouldn't sweat it, it's only every once in a large while.

Just picked it up last night. My only major gripe with the game is that I find it to be very hard to spot the destination "blip" on the map. I finally realized that you can use the circle button to put a bright orange marker anywhere on the map, so I started doing this once I finally was able to spot the destination so I didn't have to search for it every time I look at the map.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying it. Two MAJOR improvements: You can now swim, so you don't die upon touching water, and you can now climb walls & fences so you don't get stuck in backyards & blind alleys anymore. Great stuff there. I had great fun for a few minutes jumping cars off a cliff into the water and then swimming to shore.

I've barely scratched the surface on the missions, as I easily get sidetracked with exploring in open-ended games like this one. I actually got lost in the countryside, something you wouldn't expect to happen in a GTA game! I discovered that even though the bridges are initially blocked off like in the previous GTA titles, you can reach the forbidden areas by swimming across the water. Unfortunatly when you get out of the water you have a four star wanted level. Foolishly I thought the wanted level would return to normal if I jumped back in the water. Nope. The helicopter cops cut me to ribbons with their machine guns. :|

I think Rockstar may have gone somewhat overboard with the "gansta" lingo. Maybe it's because I'm a white guy from Oklahoma, but I can't follow half of what's being said. I can usually pick up the general idea of what I'm supposed to do, but often I'm just totally lost during the cutscenes.

-S

...some surprisingly long cut scene load times.

The first thing I did before playing was install the game onto my PS2's hard drive with HDLoader. There's no load time at all on the cutscenes if you play the game directly from the hard drive.

-S

Just picked it up last night. My only major gripe with the game is that I find it to be very hard to spot the destination "blip" on the map. I finally realized that you can use the circle button to put a bright orange marker anywhere on the map' date=' so I started doing this once I finally was able to spot the destination so I didn't have to search for it every time I look at the map.[/quote']

That's a good point...I'm playing this game on a 36" TV (Still haven't gotten around to shelling out for the video projector...) which should be pretty generous, but I really have to squint to make out the icons on the both the static map screen and the little circle area map. (In particular, one of the fastfood joints, probably Cluckin' Bell, looks a lot like a generic up arrow/down arrow indicator)

Otherwise I'm really enjoying it. Two MAJOR improvements: You can now swim, so you don't die upon touching water, and you can now climb walls & fences so you don't get stuck in backyards & blind alleys anymore. Great stuff there. I had great fun for a few minutes jumping cars off a cliff into the water and then swimming to shore.

Yeah, both of those are great. CJ climbing over something looks a let better than Tommy jump jump jumping at it...

I've barely scratched the surface on the missions, as I easily get sidetracked with exploring in open-ended games like this one. I actually got lost in the countryside, something you wouldn't expect to happen in a GTA game! I discovered that even though the bridges are initially blocked off like in the previous GTA titles, you can reach the forbidden areas by swimming across the water. Unfortunatly when you get out of the water you have a four star wanted level. Foolishly I thought the wanted level would return to normal if I jumped back in the water. Nope. The helicopter cops cut me to ribbons with their machine guns. :|

The amount of content IS astounding, just paging through the Brady guide...you know, I assumed that GTA:VC, say, was the size it was because of the limitations of being on a single DVD, but really, it's probably just the expense of generating that much content. (Unless they really revamped the compression or something--and not having bloated FMV probably helps)

I think Rockstar may have gone somewhat overboard with the "gansta" lingo. Maybe it's because I'm a white guy from Oklahoma, but I can't follow half of what's being said. I can usually pick up the general idea of what I'm supposed to do, but often I'm just totally lost during the cutscenes.

Maybe turning on the subtitles would help?

I'm still trying to figure out if the dialog is more or less good, and I just have a tin ear for it, or if it's too much like what some guys in Scotland think sounds Black. (I laughed when I saw a "whilst" work its way into the non-spoken instructions for advanced fighting moves) It doesn't quite line up with what I remember from black movies of the period, the Spike Lee joints and what not.

The first thing I did before playing was install the game onto my PS2's hard drive with HDLoader. There's no load time at all on the cutscenes if you play the game directly from the hard drive.

It has a hard drive? I didn't know that. I knew the Xbox did, but I don't know much about the Playstation 2 (I don't have one yet). This game might encourage me to buy one early next year.

It has a hard drive? I didn't know that. I knew the Xbox did, but I don't know much about the Playstation 2 (I don't have one yet). This game might encourage me to buy one early next year.

It doesn't come with one, but the old style one (not the new tiny PSTWO) has a place where you can install one. You have to buy a network adapter to make it work though. Also you have to get your hands on a copy of HDLoader which has been disconinued (read as "shut down by Sony") if you want ot be able to run games off the Hard Drive. It really cuts the load times down to nearly nothing though. I highly recomend it.

Maybe turning on the subtitles would help?

Good idea, I'll give that a try tonight. I'm not sure it will make a whole lot more sense to me written than spoken but hey it's worth a shot! :D

-S

Can't wait to get this for the PC.

I saw a story on it this morning on the Today show. The guy standing up for it totally destroyed the anti-GTA guy. Really, there is a ratings system in place. Don't complain about the game, complain about the retailers who don't enforce it.

or if it's too much like what some guys in Scotland think sounds Black.

"Why I say, ole chap, I shall have intercourse with your mother." :P

Man...that has to be the WORST attempt at a typed Scottish accent I've ever read.

(They are Scottish, right, not English?)

I'm really chuffed here.

I want a copy of GTA:SA but I have no money until tmw and even if I do get money, half of it has to go towards my rent. Arghhh!

I've thought about renting it but I'm very certain that the local Blockbuster has all the copies rented out by now. Might be able to pawn some NES games or Genesis games for money.

I've thought about renting it but I'm very certain that the local Blockbuster has all the copies rented out by now.  

You might be suprised. I went to Blockbuster at lunch today to return a movie. Out of curiosity I peeked at the PS2 area to see if they had any copies of GTA:SA in stock. Looked like they had at least ten and maybe more that hadn't been checked out yet. They had two entire shelves devoted to it.

-S

How is that possible? I thought it was going to be a popular game?

I still can't afford to rent it regardless. I'm gonna see how much money I get tmw and see if I can get a copy still.

I went to Circuit City yesterday to buy mine and they had at least 150 copies stacked up behind the games counter. And they had two full racks out for people to take :o

I think they just massively overproduced it so there would be no problems with anyone not getting it.

:idea: Oh, and I just found the arcade machine in the 24/7 convenience store. It is called "They Crawled From Uranus" It is a Gyruss type shooter with good graphics. I wonder what you get for beating the high score of 250,000 on it :ponder: My first game I only got 7890 and I thought I was doing okay :D

:idea: Oh, and I just found the arcade machine in the 24/7 convenience store. It is called "They Crawled From Uranus" It is a Gyruss type shooter with good graphics. I wonder what you get for beating the high score of 250,000 on it :ponder: My first game I only got 7890 and I thought I was doing okay :D

Make that two arcade machines in the 24/7 store. 8)

How far are you in the game?

I can't find any lowrider contest and I never heard anything about being a pimp...

Do you have to go somewhere or will I eventually get to it in the missions?

There are alot of many games.

Has anybody played the video game at the Johnson House that's like Gyruss for the NES?

the lowrider contest is a mission, as far as pimping I havent done this yet, but the stragety guide says you just get into a "broadway" (lowrider type car) and hit R3 (like a vigilante or taxi mission) there is also burglar, and trucking missions, as well as the other vehicle missions taxi, cop, fireman, and paramedic. I'd spend 16.99 on the stragedy guide its totaly worth it, besides you can read it on the crapper when your not playing :D