IGNORED

Beef Drop work in progress

kenfused

hehe...that's silly to be upset cause Ken is working on HIS project for the benefit of US?!

As for it being a final revision. I would think Ken will decide when he is done with it. However, if I were a coder (good thing I'm not), then stuff like the above might make me think twice about working anymore on a project...just a thought to see things from Ken's point of view.

Man. I piss everyone off around here. This was not intended to do that. I really should be a bit more introverted with my forum soliloquies. Sorry kenfued. Keep up the good work. No bad vibes on this end. You take all the time you need.

Edited by birdie3

..my only compliant is that he started working on 7800 games vs Xl/XE ones ;)

997031[/snapback]

Well, I was going to buy the 8bit version until I played the 7800 version. I like it more because the enemy that falls will come back where they fell to instead of the corners. That was the reason I am patiently waiting on the 7800 version. I would like the rom also if I buy one since using the CC2 is way too convenient.

The look and feel the same to me. The 8bit is a bit easier at the default levels.

Edited by Almost Rice

Most likely change left is just fixing up one of the "extra" screens that will not be available in the demo version (the 800/5200 version of one of the extrascreens is incompatable with the new code for the enemies climbing up from below). I wanted to use sprites for the bonus objects (fries, coffee, etc) but don't know if I will ever have time to make that update. Maybe if/when a cart is released, a CC file version could be provided at request of purchasers if they agree not to spread it.

The enemy respawn logic could possibly be back ported to the 800/5200 version but don't know if existing 5200/800 cart owners would appreciate that.

--Ken

Most likely change left is just fixing up one of the "extra" screens that will not be available in the demo version (the 800/5200 version of one of the extrascreens is incompatable with the new code for the enemies climbing up from below).  I wanted to use sprites for the bonus objects (fries, coffee, etc) but don't know if I will ever have time to make that update.  Maybe if/when a cart is released, a CC file version could be provided at request of purchasers if they agree not to spread it. 

The enemy respawn logic could possibly be back ported to the 800/5200 version but don't know if existing 5200/800 cart owners would appreciate that. 

--Ken

997337[/snapback]

Best plan I've heard froma 7800 homebrew developer yet.

997337[/snapback]

Knowing how some people like to collect different versions, they might end up getting both.

Thanks again for the answers Ken. As hard as you worked on this, I would never release your baby. I am a programmer too and I would not want my work just floating around either.

Most likely change left is just fixing up one of the "extra" screens that will not be available in the demo version (the 800/5200 version of one of the extrascreens is incompatable with the new code for the enemies climbing up from below).  I wanted to use sprites for the bonus objects (fries, coffee, etc) but don't know if I will ever have time to make that update.  Maybe if/when a cart is released, a CC file version could be provided at request of purchasers if they agree not to spread it. 

--Ken

997337[/snapback]

Ken,

As an 8bit owner it wouldnt effect me in the least if the 8bit version was updated.

Of course it would be nice if Al would provide a swap service(for $$) for existing owners but my enjoyment of the cart wont change based upon the fact that a v2 version is out there for new customers.

As an owner of the XL/XE Beef Drop, the wait for the finished product was worth it - Ken did a great job and my only compliant is that he started working on 7800 games vs Xl/XE ones ;)

997031[/snapback]

DEAL WITH IT!!! :P

There are so many XL/XE/5200 games that it was tabout time the 7800 got some lovin!

Maybe if/when a cart is released, a CC file version could be provided at request of purchasers if they agree not to spread it. 

997337[/snapback]

I dunno. Just because some people have a CC does that entitle them to get the full version of the game for free when others that don't have a CC will have to pay for the cart? A better idea might be to sell them the rom at a discount since there is no need for a cartridge board/eprom/case/label. Of course, it's all up to you, just seems a little unfair :)

Maybe if/when a cart is released, a CC file version could be provided at request of purchasers if they agree not to spread it. 

997337[/snapback]

I dunno. Just because some people have a CC does that entitle them to get the full version of the game for free when others that don't have a CC will have to pay for the cart? A better idea might be to sell them the rom at a discount since there is no need for a cartridge board/eprom/case/label. Of course, it's all up to you, just seems a little unfair :)

998267[/snapback]

kenfused said "at request of purchasers." That implies anybody getting the ROM image made a purchase, not just getting it for free.

Edited by skunkworx

997337[/snapback]

998267[/snapback]

kenfused said "at request of purchasers." That implies anybody getting the ROM image made a purchase, not just getting it for free.

998282[/snapback]

Ah! I should read more closely :)

I kinda like the lower price just for the rom idea, but I want a cart even if I dont ever use it. I just wanted the rom so I could just start the game without pulling carts. Its the open mentality that makes me want to support Ken. He basicly has already released most of the game to the public with his Demo. I could not believe how complete it already is and he still is working on it.

Don't to be rude or anything but it's VERY easy to dump carts so whats the big deal? I'm betting someone is gonna dump it, as is what happens with all games new or old, and it will be on the net and no one will take responsability for leaking it, thats just how the river flows.

Don't to be rude or anything but it's VERY easy to dump carts so whats the big deal? I'm betting someone is gonna dump it, as is what happens with all games new or old, and it will be on the net and no one will take responsability for leaking it, thats just how the river flows.

998706[/snapback]

Perhaps each cart could have a unique ID in the ROM code. Then the leaked file can be traced to its origin.

998706[/snapback]

That doesn't mean there aren't a good number of us CC2 owners who wold be willing to pay full price for just the final rom though. And there are means of adding a special identifier or individualized signature into the code of each so that the leak could be indentified.

Honestly - I'd buy both. Although, I'd like to think Ken would hook up a Cart buyer with a rom for a discount.

998706[/snapback]

That doesn't mean there aren't a good number of us CC2 owners who wold be willing to pay full price for just the final rom though. And there are means of adding a special identifier or individualized signature into the code of each so that the leak could be indentified.

Honestly - I'd buy both. Although, I'd like to think Ken would hook up a Cart buyer with a rom for a discount.

998945[/snapback]

An ident would be a great idea I think. As I am totally withthe idea of making carts someting special aposed to ROM images.

My only problem with making the cart only version different is that there's a large number of people who only play these games in emulators and don't have real hardware. Some of them would probably be willing to purchase the final rom if given the chance, but if they're snubbed and the final version is only released on cart, you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be pirated even faster, just to spite the release of it being cart only.

My only problem with making the cart only version different is that there's a large number of people who only play these games in emulators and don't have real hardware. Some of them would probably be willing to purchase the final rom if given the chance, but if they're snubbed and the final version is only released on cart, you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be pirated even faster, just to spite the release of it being cart only.

999082[/snapback]

Playing on an EMU is not playing ATARI. PEROID.

999082[/snapback]

I'd suggest that making custom ROM versions for people might be the way to go. Simple to do, and it would let people who pay for the content get something they wouldn't otherwise receive.

Playing on an EMU is not playing ATARI. PEROID.

999238[/snapback]

I'm not becoming involved or taking sides concerning the issue of whether or not to release a 'demo only' or 'full version' of Beef Drop to cart/rom format or whatever. However, I do have to object to your above statement. There is no question about it... Playing the *real deal* is the best thing. Nonetheless, I think it is pretty ignorant to state that playing on an EMU is not playing Atari. Additionally, if it was not for emulation do you even think the homebrews and hacks we see would have seen the light of day? Do you really believe all bugs, debugging, troubleshooting and end user feedback would be possible without emulation? Perhaps, but it is highly unlikely.

I own an Atari 2600 and 7800, as well as a ColecoVision and NES. I use to own a 5200 and intellivision (They both 'bit the dust' years ago). I own a couple of "modern" systems as well, including a Dreamcast and a PS2. By far, "emulation" is my number one avenue of gameplay. For striking the best balance among time, space, conveience and practicality, emulation is at times (Many times) the only way or reasonable avenue.

Lest we not forget about MAME. Stating playing EMU is not playing Atari is the same as stating playing MAME is not playing the actual Arcade game. Again, would playing on actual arcade game be better more authentic experience? Absolutely. On the other hand, if you're playing Atari 2600/5200/7800 via an emulator, it is very close, if not almost indistinguishable, from playing the real thing at times. Especially, if you use a usb converter plug to connect your joystick to your computer, and utilize TV-Out on your graphics card.

I believe the correct or more accurate statement is "playing an EMU is not playing on an Atari system". However, when playing on an EMU you can still enjoy the gameplay, graphics, sound and excitement (At times maybe even more so) of the game as if it was on the actual system itself. Finally is not the most important thing about the system the games themselves?

OH, I'd purchace a cart (pending having money) even if the rom is avaliable for download. - Of course numbered carts will sell here, especially if they are internaly numbered (custom rom)

I don't see a problem with somehow charging a small download fee for the rom and still ending a custom rom (if possible) until carts are no longer in production, then if someone cheats you would know who (or atleast have a very likely suspect).

When carts are out of production the 'clean' rom with an indicator its the free version in it.

--------

Cart # Original Owner

00t -Ken (prototype)

-------------------

01b -(betatester name)

02b -(betatester name)

03b -(betatester name)

04b -(betatester name)

-------------------

01 -CPUWIZ (hahahaha)

02 -Silver_Surfer

03* -Danno (downloaded/e-mailed, but gets a normal number in sequence so that person can buy a cart later (at a discount = to rom download cost))

04 -FireTiger

05 -Jaybird3rd

06* - Albert (downloaded it first, just to have his own number, then later bought the cart ;) )

07 - Alex

08 *- FireTiger (I got greedy and bought a download version too... maybe I'll figure out how you are numbering them now...)

Edited by FireTiger

I believe the correct or more accurate statement is "playing an EMU is not playing on an Atari system".

999556[/snapback]

I'll go with that. Sometimes I use an EMU to try out a game before I buy it. I guess my somewhat purest veiw of playing Atari is not well taken all the time.

Edited by silver_surfer