IGNORED

Beef Drop work in progress

kenfused

Now, with the bd78pok.bin I am getting no music with the pok+hsc settings. (78HSCPOK-banking, HSC-startup)

And the pokey sound does work ok when you have it setup without the hsc support (78POKEY-banking, 78BIOS-startup)

So no, I can't get the pokey and hsc to work together :(

WOW! Fantastic! Boy, did I miss they Pokey sound - And what a difference! Thanks kenfused, for posting the Pokey specific file: 'Bd78Pok.a78'. It sounds and plays great under MESS 0.90 (Using latest posted file from - 09 Jan 2005 00:42 posting).

Yes, I do realize it is slightly faster than it should be. However, the Pokey sound difference to TIA is like night and day. It enhances a your great game all the more. Sounds terrific.

Thanks again, kenfused! Keep up the great work,

Trebor

Now, with the bd78pok.bin I am getting no music with the pok+hsc settings. (78HSCPOK-banking, HSC-startup)

And the pokey sound does work ok when you have it setup without the hsc support (78POKEY-banking, 78BIOS-startup)

Did you know about:

78HSCPOK Banking

Use this for 7800 games that use both the POKEY and the HSC. (Beef Drop)

12/9/04 19:35

http://www.schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

Did you know about:

78HSCPOK Banking

Use this for 7800 games that use both the POKEY and the HSC. (Beef Drop)

12/9/04 19:35

http://www.schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

Sorry I didn't see that you where :twisted:

I can't test this at the moment, buf if you can try this start up file in conjunction with either POKEY32 or the HSCPOK one.

hscpokqu.zip

I can't test this at the moment' date=' buf if you can try this start up file in conjunction with either POKEY32 or the HSCPOK one.[/quote']Hmmm doesn't work. Just gives a blank screen when coupled with the new Pokey+HSC banking file. It does work with Pokey_32K file (and pokey does work vs when using the HSCQUICK, no Pokey support obviosly), and it also does work with just the HSC_32K file (but no Pokey obviously).

Only change I made was storing a 4 vs. a 0 in $613 in the startup file from the HSCQUICK file.

In the mess source file machine/a7800.c, change the following and Beef Drop's POKEY detection seems to work...

Change:

/* pokey cartridge */

if (a7800_cart_type & 0x01)

memory_install_write8_handler(0, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 0x4000, 0x7FFF, 0, 0, pokey1_w);

To:

/* pokey cartridge */

{

memory_install_write8_handler(0, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 0x4000, 0x7FFF, 0, 0, pokey1_w);

memory_install_read8_handler(0, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 0x4000, 0x7FFF, 0, 0, pokey1_r);

}

Ok, so the 78HSCPOK.BNK doesn't work. Clearly your TIA sound is too good Ken because no one who used the new banking bothered to tell me it doesn't work.

I've uploaded a new version to my webpage. I've also uploaded new versions of HSC.STR and HSCQUICK.STR that allow the POKEY to work.

Anyone who has the old 78HSCPOK.BNK file, be sure to get the new one.

Chad

Ok, so the 78HSCPOK.BNK doesn't work.  Clearly your TIA sound is too good Ken because no one who used the new banking bothered to tell me it doesn't work.

I've uploaded a new version to my webpage.  I've also uploaded new versions of HSC.STR and HSCQUICK.STR that allow the POKEY to work.

Anyone who has the old 78HSCPOK.BNK file, be sure to get the new one.

Chad

It works!

Thanks,

Ken

In the mess source file machine/a7800.c, change the following and Beef Drop's POKEY detection seems to work...

Change:

/* pokey cartridge */

To:

/* pokey cartridge */

{

memory_install_read8_handler(0, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 0x4000, 0x7FFF, 0, 0, pokey1_r);

}

I tested this out and it seems to fix the problem (I cleaned my ears out just to be sure :D ). It also fixes the bug in Ballblazer where half the sound was missing. :)

Good Work Ken!

Mitch

Gotta love that pokey music! :D Sounds great, Kenfused.

In fact, I had a friend of mine over today to play the game. He thought that it was a homebrew running on an NES emulator. When I told him it was actually an Atari 7800, well, least to say he was quite surprised. He now agrees with me that the 7800 does indeed have some muscle over the NES in certain areas.

So excellent work, Ken! :D Really enjoying the game here!

Yup, pokey works good now.

But I did notice a problem with the HSC entry for 2 players. I was playing it with a friend earlier and when we got done with the game the hsc automatically said "congratulations player 2" at the top, but it was for player 1's score. He entered his name and went on to the next player entry and it was still for player 2.

So player 1 can't enter his name on a 2 player game. (Please note that we only played normal difficulty and I didn't check the others, I will try to do that in a little while)

Yup, pokey works good now.  

But I did notice a problem with the HSC entry for 2 players. I was playing it with a friend earlier and when we got done with the game the hsc automatically said "congratulations player 2" at the top, but it was for player 1's score. He entered his name and went on to the next player entry and it was still for player 2.

So player 1 can't enter his name on a 2 player game. (Please note that we only played normal difficulty and I didn't check the others, I will try to do that in a little while)

Doh, I think I know why. Will fix that for the next release.

I tried it on Easy with 2 players and it did the opposite. It was Player 2 that couldn't enter their score on their own controller. And it said "Congratulations Player 1" for both scores.

Then I tried it on Hard and it was the same as normal (where it was player 2 on both scores)

Kinda strange.

I tried it on Easy with 2 players and it did the opposite. It was Player 2 that couldn't enter their score on their own controller. And it said "Congratulations Player 1" for both scores.  

Then I tried it on Hard and it was the same as normal (where it was player 2 on both scores)

Kinda strange.

Was it who was last up who gets to enter scores? Player 1 can finish last if he is able to earn more free lives than player 1.

I am not sure if it goes by who died last or not. I will check that out if I have time tonight. But it does have a problem since it says "congratulations player 1 (or 2)" for both score entries. And it should say player 1 and then player 2 (with each entering their own score with their own controller of course)

The only issue is the garbage at the buttom of the screen, I guess it's because of the highscore cart rom (emulation).

The garbage at the bottom of the screen only appears on the Highscore screens, correct? That's because the HSC.ROM is NTSC, there's no PAL version (unless someone wants to hack one :D ).

Mitch

I see five files in the zip file just posted. Is BD7800.BIN the normal TIA sound and BD78POK.BIN for Pokey sound (ie. you've split it again)?
Those two just force POKEY mode or TIA mode mostly for testing (and the fact the MESS will not do POKEY without the code changes for MESS I last posted).

BD7800.BIN and BD7800.A78 autodetect pokey

bd78nopo.a78. Has pokey detection disabled and is set to no pokey in the header.

bdpok78.a78, bdpok78.bin - Has pokey forcibly turned on. Needed for MESS if you want POKEY sound.

The non-autodetect versions will probably be dropped although maybe I'll keep bdpok78.a78 around until a version of MESS is released which will work with Beef Drop POKEY detection

The non-autodetect versions will probably be dropped although maybe I'll keep bdpok78.a78 around until a version of MESS is released which will work with Beef Drop POKEY detection

Thanks, Kenfused. I appreciate your generous and gracious attitude in not only providing such a fantastic port of Burger Time, but also posting a version that works in MESS for Pokey sound.

Beef Drop is great with TIA too. However, the Pokey sound really makes it shine.

Thanks again,

Trebor

• Like 1

I've also uploaded new versions of HSC.STR and HSCQUICK.STR that allow the POKEY to work.

You mean the files dated: 1/09/06 12:57

These are indeed very new :D

The garbage at the bottom of the screen only appears on the Highscore screens, correct? That's because the HSC.ROM is NTSC

Yes, it does this on all HSC games on PAL. Some/most even crash when entering the hi-score screen. Thus I run all PAL games without HSC.

Robert[/b]