IGNORED

Least Favorite Activision ?

liquid_sky

Everyone knows the great titles produced by activision, and almost everyone has at least one activion title in their favorites list.. but everyone makes bad games? What do you all pick as your LEAST favorite activison games? My pick is Crackpots, it goes on forever and ever and is basically just reverse kaboom minus the fun

Freeway most definitely

I bought that thinking it was like Frogger and when I found you could only move up and down it kind of blew it for me.

In retrospect I guess it's an ok competitive game. Also Frogger itself did get released eventually as well which helped ease that initial dissapointment.

Laser Blast is SO FREAKING BORING, it makes me want to throw it in the river. Its better used as a coaster (but I would like to have one good copy just to pad my collection).

I'm not much on Bridge either, but that's more about the card game than the video game.

Laser Blast must die, Stan

Definitely Laser Blast. You can master the game in a matter of minutes. Just figure out the easy pattern and you can play indefinately.

The million patch for this one sucks. I estimate it took me 20 minutes to get to 100,000. So that's about 3 hours to get to a mil. And there's no way to pause like Kaboom.

Man, I think Dragster is fun. It seems simple at first, but it's really hard to beat 6 secs. It's fun to figure out the tricks to shave a little more time off.

-Paul

Ataripitbull, Really cool avatar!!! But shouldn't the collar have a fuji on the buckle?

I have to argue against Decathlon, Stampede, Ghostbusters and Space Shuttle sucking.

First, Decathlon, despite the physical therapy needed after playing a game, can be quite fun. The events are terribly different, but they are different and rather challenging. The game is lots of fun, but I can only play it once before I need a nap.

Stampede is a tougher call, I guess it could suck, but there is a certain charm to ropin' 2600 dogies. Its mindless fun, and gets to be a tough game!

Ghostbusters is just plain cool. Its fun, its got the movie theme (Ray Parker Jr. goes digital!!!), its tough to beat.

Space Shuttle is AMAZING in its complexity. I'm yet to get the hang of it, but it fascinates me.

None of these games can rival Laser Blast in their lameness. EVER.

Attorney for the Defense, Stan

Laser Blast. After only a few minutes on my first time it's easy to find a pattern and play it endlessly. Once I've played almost 4 hours nonstop without ever losing one life or even missing the alien on th eground (don't they look a bit like a Space Invader rejects?) The only reason my 4+ hour gameplay ended was due to power failure.

i can't call a game "BAD" just because you can master it quickly! if thats the case

then space invaders is a "BAD" game!

and about space shuttle.. YES..you have to read the 32 page booklet before you pay it. but once you get past the booklet, it is a very challenging game!

what i think added to the fun of playing some of these games was trying to get the score you needed to earn a patch.. like dragster (6 seconds) that's VERY hard to do!!

Rick

Im going to have to defend stampede, it gets very fast paced on the harder levels and can really get you goin..

Space Shuttle and Dragster share the same fate in my book.. no real action.. just the same thing over and over and over witn no variation..

What is up with laser blast? What kind of programmer decides to do exactly what gamers dont want (repeditiveness with no new stuff). The only things that happen are your stupid ufo gets closer to the ground and your eyelids get closer to shut with each level. They should have used laser blast to punish bad children back in the days.

Hey All!

Here's my Top 5 for the worst Activision Atari 2600 games.

"Hang on tight!"

5. Laser Blast

4. Freeway

3. Dragster

2. Double Dragon

1. Dragster

At a meeting between myself, Dave Crane and Garry Kitchen, I told the guys how I thought Stampede was a bit on the weak side. They both disagreed and said they thought it was a pretty good game.

I quickly shuut-up and changed the subject. ;-)

Hang Ten!

I'll defend Laser Blast...it's repetitive now, but it's like Breakout or Kaboom or Space Invaders or asteroids (how many of these things do I have to destroy?) some of those other repetitive games back then...VERY ADDICTIVE.

And when you're playing against someone actually good at that game (it was my Dad in my case), the pressure built and it was pure adrenaline...the key to success was 'you just don't miss'. Because if you did, they'd get you before you knew what happened.

Some of the best AI ever in an Atari game. It's almost like they could feel your instincts through your joystick of where you were going to move. You had to stay on offense all the time. If you ever tried to simply 'dodge' their shots, you were in trouble. It was sort of "three or four shots and move on"...because if you had time to fire more than that, you were in there way too long. The graphics on that game are amazing in a very simple way. It's left up to the player's imagination as to what the units on the ground might be...I always was reminded of some of the star wars characters or something out of "war of the worlds"...and that spinning saucer thing was too cool.

Flicker-free graphics, smooth control, great packaging, instructions were well done. What a game!

Top four worst activision:

Dragster

Bridge

Kaboom (what's the point?)

Freeway (sad clone of Frogger, which actually rocks unlike this uninspired dog)

Well I like Dragster, its just a simple game of skill - and if you screw it up, thats only 6 seconds of your life you've wasted. nice.

Worst activision game, I can't have a go at any of the early ones - even if the games aren't too great - they've got lovely boxes

Ghostbusters 2 then, shameful movie tie in.

I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but I wasn't too keen on Frostbite. In my opinion, it really DOES.

As for Laser Blast, I don't have childhood memories of this one. However, I played it on an emulator... and quit after thirty seconds. I think I can safely assume that it stinks.

My least favorite Activision game of all time has to be Super Pitfall. I know it's not for the 2600, but I can never stop talking about how BAAAAAD it is.

JR