IGNORED

How do you play Impossible Mission?

Doc4

quote:

Originally posted by MayhemUK:

1) 36

2) 30 (one in each room bar the two code rooms)

3) Not sure offhand. Probably about 200.

1) 36

2) 44

3) 128

Even without calculating the chances, I'd say if the puzzles are spread 100% randomized, the chances of completing the game must be ~ 1 : 17,3 Bazillions

Greetings,

Manuel

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, my brother got back to me about the numbers... If we have:

1) 36 keys to be found

2) 44 terminals

3) 128 pieces of other furniture

Then here is how he computed the odds:

"Think of hiding the keys one at a time. The chance that none of the keys are behind terminals is = P(first key isn't) * P(second key isn't | first key wasn't) * P(third key isn't | first two keys aren't) * ... * P(thirty-sixth key isn't | first thirty five keys weren't) =

128/172 * 127/171 * 126/170 * ... * 98/137 = 0.000004 -- a 4 in a million shot."

But I can see that the "98/137" can't be right -- there should be 36 terms, which mean the last is 93/137. Just a typo? A quick run through with the calculator gives me 0.0000053, which is at least the right order of magnitude.

So, somewhere around 1:5,300,000 are your odds of getting a playable game. Not impossible, but surely improbable.

Okay...so here is an idea. Since Thomas has been converting so many PAL games to NTSC. How hard would it be to convert the Pal beatable version of Impossible Mission to NTSC instead of trying to patch or fix the current NTSC release?

Whether the fix for the NTSC release is found or whatever it still wouldn't solve the problem that there are untold numbers of NTSC Impossible missions that can't be fixed. It would provide a way to perhaps rerelease the game. Limited to the big shows...

Still I would imagine it would be easier to convert the current PAL one to NTSC rather than patch up the NTSC.

Any ideas? I would really like to at least play this game in Emulation if it never were to be released in a fixed form again.

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

I believe work is in progress to do that. Stay tuned.

Mitch

Who is working on this? I had also started work on this very same idea. Depending on who is working on this, I have some information that may be helpful.

If it helps who ever is doing this I had already started on the dis-assembly of the PAL version.

Yeesh! You guys make project secrecy an impossibility!

That would be me doing this.

It's pretty much complete, but thanks Tizoc for offering info. Currently, I'm in testing phase and am just verifying color schemes and scanline accuracy (which on first glance are good, but need to be verified against an actual NTSC cart instead of just my eyes), and I'd like to verify that 2 different game configurations end up yielding 36 puzzle pieces beofre I release (I've already verified one configuration did so at 8:01 central time last night, a historic moment for 7800 Impossible Missionists). This testing will probably take me through until the weekend to complete.

I plan to whip up some basic carts by cgexpo time, but not exclusive to cgexpo, so people can play on their own console. Both versions of MESS do not yet support the fix, which I'll look into. This will also take time. I *do* plan to release the binary publicly once I get cartridge work started and have more of a gameplan established. I'll be sure to post here first.

* Please don't ask to be put on a list to purchase one or anything-- one such list does not exist, and will not until I am ready. I'll post here when I'm ready to announce. *

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

quote:

Originally posted by John K. Harvey:

Yeesh! You guys make project secrecy an impossibility!

That would be me doing this.

You could of just sent me a PM, I would of kept a secret. Although, I am glad that you did anounce this. No sense in having two people doing this. The same thing happened on the Klax and Sentinel. I was working on my own, and it turns out Lee is also doing this. So now I have this 90% complete boxed Klax, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I think that's it's great to have more and more people doing 7800 stuff. And I can certainly understand having secrecy to keep people from hounding you.

quote:

Originally posted by John K. Harvey:

It's pretty much complete, but thanks Tizoc for offering info. Currently, I'm in testing phase and am just verifying color schemes and scanline accuracy (which on first glance are good, but need to be verified against an actual NTSC cart instead of just my eyes

Here is some info that I got from Eckhard, it should help you out with the colors:

>>And what about colors? Will those require conversion as well?

Yes, Atari changed the palette between the two consoles. But luckily they just shifted it a bit. Please have a look at the

following table:

; NTSC: PAL:

; 0x 0x

; 1x 3x

; 2x 4x

; 3x 5x

; 4x 6x

; 5x 7x

; 6x 8x

; 7x 9x

; 8x Ax

; 9x Bx

; Ax Cx

; Bx Dx

; Cx Ex

; Dx Fx

; Ex 1x

; Fx 2x

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Hope that helps. I had also started working on the hardware end of it. I'll be glad to pass along any info there too.

• 2 weeks later...