IGNORED

Classic gaming tv/movie reference thread....

PS. tron and movies that had games made of the dont count.

Well to be fair Tron had the sounds from Phoenix prominently when they entered the arcade.

Also Flynn is playing a handheld when they are in his apt. loft. Most people know that it is Coleco Electronic Quarterback.. but what's less known is what the sound effects of it were.. it was Entex Space Invaders :D

The Atari 2600 was part of a sketch on Mad TV last season:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48488

Here are 2 tv shows where the Intellivision II was on:

Mama's Family: "The Return of Leonard Oates"

Naomi's 2nd ex- husband tries to win her back. He gives the family a gift, an Intellivision II system with a few games. Later Naomi, Vint and Mama are playing it.

Married ... with Children:"Get the Dodge Outta Hell"

The episode where Al loses the Dodge at a car wash. When Al and Peg are in the car wash's gift shop, the box for the Intellivision II system is on a shelf on the back wall.

Pice to get so far..

Pacman on Family Guy

Haydn[/b]

That one was freakin' funny...Pac-Man was depressed after Ms. Pac-Man dumped him, so the ghosts try to cheer him up by flashing so he can eat them, but he ignores them. Then they say "Screw this, let's go to Q*Bert's"

Also I saw an Atari 7800 on King of Queens, Doug and Arthur were playing Video Olympics on it (but they had it in black and white for some reason).

Matthew Broderick's character had an affection for Galaga in WarGames. In one of the movie's more amusing continuity flubs, he still had two ships left, lost his current ship, and the game was suddenly over.

In the short movie All Summer in a Day, sounds that supposedly had something to do with establishing a video phone call actually came from Atari 2600 Pac-Man. Sounds from that particular port also made their way into Superman III.

Audio from Yars' Revenge was featured in the movie Explorers, though you could argue it was actually in the movie within the movie, since it was heard while the kids were watching the cheezy sci-fi film at the drive-in.

In yet another episode of the "Simpsons," after buying a carload of junk at a swap meet, they wonder how everything and everyone is going to fit into the car. To the music of the GameBoy version of Tetris, Homer successfully fits everything in the car while the kids take on shapes that look oddly familiar.

I have no idea which one, but I remember seeing the Atari 2600 and Space Invaders in one of the soap operas at the time. While talking to someone else, the guy played the game continuously, resetting it over and over, with this menacing look on his face. I assume he was one of the bad guys.

And finally, my favorite game-referencing show of all time, "You Can't Do That On Television." For those who don't remember the show (ya whippersnappers!), it was basically a "Saturday Night Live" for kids, filmed in Canada and aired by Nickelodeon back when cable TV was just starting to get popular. One episode, dealing with addictions, featured the Atari 2600 quite heavily. One memorable skit showed a kid playing Missile Command while a video missile slowly homed in on his napping father, eventually blowing the guy up. There is slightly more infp here, including a screen shot supposedly from Pac-Man Eats General Hospital, the show that YCDToTV was "pre-empting" that week.

I just remembered: in one of the episodes in Evangelion, there is a scene where Asuka (or whatever her name is, the girl who pilots the red evangelion) is playing sega saturn with one of her school friends.

All the eva games at the time were released on the sega saturn, but i'll look for the shot

Haydn

Cool topic! :-)

:ponder: Although I saw that episode of Seinfeld, I didn't notice the art on the cabinet. It is much different than the artwork I know... is that for real?

I remembered this South Park / Pitfall bit being posted a while back. When I did a search for it, I came up with five or six threads on it if you are interested in reading more...

Back when I had tv, there was a show called News Radio (I have no idea if this is still airing). The boss (Dave Foley) was addicted to Stargate Defender. Apparently, he had been addicted to it as a kid and failed his ACTs. When the office replaces an old sandwich machine with a Stargate cabinet, the old addiction is ignited (and Phil Hartman's character is pissed about the sandwiches being gone). When Dave is challenged by a co-worker to take the ACTs again, he ends up staying all night playing the game instead of studying and getting sleep. In the morning when the rest of the crew returns to work, he is still there mumbling something repeatedly about "saving the humanoids". :lol: Phil Hartman's stale sandwich bit stole the show though - crack me up! :-D

I just remembered: in one of the episodes in Evangelion, there is a scene where Asuka (or whatever her name is, the girl who pilots the red evangelion) is playing sega saturn with one of her school friends.

All the eva games at the time were released on the sega saturn, but i'll look for the shot

Haydn

Episode 23: Tear

post-3776-1112647721_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1112647722_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1112647723_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1112647724_thumb.jpg

My website has just been updated, if you look in the tv section you can see what i have pics for, also can someone get me a pic of wipeout in hackers. I have also been given permission to include Atari Times stuff.

Haydn

Don't forget eXistenZe (check the spelling on that!) which is basically

about virtual reality computer games. There is also another bad flick

staring that kid from Terminator 2 where his game gets him to kill

people. And the Lawnmower Man is about VR stuff too.

The trashy Bully has a scene where two of the teens plays some Mortal

Kombat 3 before going out to do an actual murder.

And as I mentioned in another thread recently, Koyannisquatsi (sp?) has

time lapse of an 1982 arcade.

Don't forget eXistenZe (check the spelling on that!) which is basically

about virtual reality computer games. There is also another bad flick

staring that kid from Terminator 2 where his game gets him to kill

people. And the Lawnmower Man is about VR stuff too.

The trashy Bully has a scene where two of the teens plays some Mortal

Kombat 3 before going out to do an actual murder.

And as I mentioned in another thread  

recently, Koyannisquatsi (sp?) has

time lapse of an 1982 arcade.

eXistenZe and lawnmower man, afik dont include any real videogames, but you reminded me to include mortal kombat (movie,tv,cartoon).

What music videos do you know of? I know some radiohead are classics inspired (along with tv spots) an so far unknowen Gwen Stephani song, Fluke atombomb music video, a tetris and a streetfighter single from the early 90's.

Haydn

PS, I hope you not implying eXistenZe is a bad film, While it can never match Videodrome, its still prety good.