IGNORED

Welcome to the New Server! (Please Read)

Albert

What old feature that's not here now are you guys referring to when you refer to egosearch?

839221[/snapback]

"Egosearch" was a feature similar to "view new posts" in that, it would view only the posts made by you with one click of a button. It listed all the forums and would highlight those posts that had a new post that you haven't read.

It was nice to have if you wanted to check if someone replied to one of your posts in a quick and efficient manner or if you just wanted to follow a thread that you had replied or started. When I found out about it a month or so ago, it became a regular feature for me.

Well I'm kinda replying before completely reading thru the thread but I think the new forums are just fine. The only thing I missed the most was the ability to search the threads I posted in and sorted by date. The "find msgs by this user" just doesnt cut it because it sorted by when I posted as opposed to the date of the last msg on the thread.

Anyways the reason I came over to this thread was I noticed that the search by name seems to be working correctly. Maybe it is working fine on msgs entered under the new forums and somehow the old msgs didnt get their dates copied over correctly or something.

I think alot of the new features far outweigh the disadvantages both of the new system and the old system put together. The fact that they were able to copy over the old msgs is enough to make me a happy camper. I dont know how many times I've been through a msg board change were the msgs were lost.

That's all for now.

Edited by Shannon

Well I'm kinda replying before completely reading thru the thread but I think the new forums are just fine.  The only thing I missed the most was the ability to search the threads I posted in and sorted by date.  The "find msgs by this user" just doesnt cut it because it sorted by when I posted as opposed to the date of the last msg on the thread.

Anyways the reason I came over to this thread was I noticed that the search by name seems to be working correctly.  Maybe it is working fine on msgs entered under the new forums and somehow the old msgs didnt get their dates copied over correctly or something.

When I have a nice chunk of time to set aside, I am going to investigate the search behavior. I would like to add back the ability to do the same type of "Find threads I posted in" that phpBB has, and I don't see any reason why that can't be done. However, IPB 2.1 is around the corner, so I don't want to make too many big changes yet to this forum, as that will make it more difficult to move to 2.1 when that comes out.

Messages imported from the old server shouldn't behave any differently than new posts, at least in terms of how the search functionality works. If you can give me some examples of weird behavior you are seeing, that would help me track down any problems.

..Al

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I noticed that you can't archive more than 50 private messages. Is there any way to increase this amount?

842181[/snapback]

I just took a look through the configuration options and don't see a setting for this, so it may be hard coded. I'll have to ask on the IPB forums if there's any reason why this can't be increased.

..Al

Messages imported from the old server shouldn't behave any differently than new posts, at least in terms of how the search functionality works.  If you can give me some examples of weird behavior you are seeing, that would help me track down any problems.

..Al

842189[/snapback]

OK I figured out it does not work if you search on "any date", but if I pick something like "last 90 days" then it works fine.

Edited by Shannon

Sorry, I haven't read through all the posts here, but is there a way to change the date and time format?

That weird order of month, day, year and that AM/PM stuff is pretty irritating for someone like me. ;)

846852[/snapback]

No, there is presently no way to do this with the current software. I just posted this as a feature request over on the IPB Support Forums, though. I'll take a look to see if there is a mod available to do this. There are global date/time settings, but none on a per-user basis. This would require some extensive changes, as the date and time are displayed in many places. I will look into doing this myself if IPB won't do it and there are no mods already for it.

..Al

No, there is presently no way to do this with the current software.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

I just saw those two listboxes at the lower left of my control panel, where I might be able to select a skin and a language. If there would be anything to select from. :)

I just saw those two listboxes at the lower left of my control panel, where I might be able to select a skin and a language. If there would be anything to select from. :)

846894[/snapback]

I could probably add the German language pack easily enough to the forum. I have added a few new lines to the English translations, so I may need some help translating those lines, but other than that, pretty much all the text would be translated except for the buttons with text on them("New Topic", "Reply", etc.) I'll take a look today. Would you be willing to help translated the "missing" German text? Should be no more than 10 lines or so.

Thanks!

..Al

...pretty much all the text would be translated except for the buttons with text on them("New Topic", "Reply", etc.)

Everything translated? Nah, not for me. :)

But of course I would help with the missing translations.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

• 2 months later...
Hey guys! Where's the RSS feed?

840699[/snapback]

Are you talking about the main RSS feed for the news we post on the front page? It should be working, are you having any problems with it? Or are you talking about something else?

..Al

840730[/snapback]

Hi, I just installed thunderbird version 1.0.2. I tried the Atariage rss feed http://www.atariage.com/news/rss.php but all I get is headers (i.e. subject,sender...). I have not tried any other rss reader. I did some searches on mozilla.org as well as the Atariage forum but didn't see any mention of the rss feed except for this post. I just thought I'd post and see if anyone else having trouble with it.

Jim

Hi, I just installed thunderbird version 1.0.2. I tried the Atariage rss feed http://www.atariage.com/news/rss.php but all I get is headers (i.e. subject,sender...). I have not tried any other rss reader. I did some searches on mozilla.org as well as the Atariage forum but didn't see any mention of the rss feed except for this post. I just thought I'd post and see if anyone else having trouble with it.

I've used it with a few different RSS readers (either standalone or part of other apps) and have not had any problems. I've also run it through several RSS validators and the feed passes every one of them. I just downloaded Thunderbird 1.0.2 and I see what you're talking about. I have no idea why Thunderbird isn't showing the article text. Right now I'd have to guess it's a bug in Thunderbird.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for adding the "My Posts" feature. :D It seems to be pretty much like egosearch was.

I still find IPB very clumsy-looking (kind of like OS/2 after Windows 95 came out), but I do understand why you felt the need to migrate to it.

I notice that even though I have email notification of replies turned on in my account settings, every time I post there's "Enable email notification of replies?" beneath the textarea and it's unchecked. I don't know whether not checking it prevents the notifications from getting sent to me, though.

Thank you for adding the "My Posts" feature.  :D  It seems to be pretty much like egosearch was.

It should pretty much act exactly like phpBB's egosearch functionality. If you discover that it's not pulling up results as you'd expect, please let me know and I'll take a look at it.

I still find IPB very clumsy-looking (kind of like OS/2 after Windows 95 came out), but I do understand why you felt the need to migrate to it.

I personally do not agree, but I respect everyone's opinions and layout and aesthetic issues are going to be unique for every person. While there are differences (obviously) between IPB and phpBB, they are fairly similar functionally. Yes, we did create a new skin, one that I feel fits better with the rest of the site than the phpBB skin we were using.

I notice that even though I have email notification of replies turned on in my account settings, every time I post there's "Enable email notification of replies?" beneath the textarea and it's unchecked.  I don't know whether not checking it prevents the notifications from getting sent to me, though.

897136[/snapback]

Good question, I never use email notification. I would imagine that if you have it enabled in your profile, you'll always get notification and that the checkbox when composing a message is primarily intended for those who do not have automatic notifications being sent. However, it should recognize that you already have it on and it should be checked by default in that case. I'll have to see how this works in 2.1 and file a bug if the behavior is the same.

..Al

I'm still getting multiple emails. I am really hating that.

It happens at Konfabulator's forums too because they use (A much nicer looking themed version) iPB as well.

897320[/snapback]

If you don't like receiving multiple emails then please do not subscribe to them, as you are the only person complaining about them. I already took the time to change the message subjects as you requested because I felt that was a useful change, but I am not going to dig into the software to do sophisticated changes (as would be required to change the behavior of the message notification) when very few people are making an issue of it. And I also appreciate your jab at our skin. If you feel you can do better, you are more than welcome to submit a skin of your own and we can make it available for people to choose. I'm sure you are aware that AtariAge is a hobbyist website run by people who donate their free time, whereas Konfabulator is a commercial product where they can afford to spend more time and money on their website design. Even taking that into account, I happen to like the skin we designed for our forum and it was created by someone who volunteered her time.

..Al