IGNORED

Cruise Missile - Prototype ! on ebay?

MattyXB

So what will everyone consider a prototype? A loaner cart? A homemade label with Eproms? My Dukes actually is a loaner cart. I had a few of the home made "prototype" label versions, but sold them all. And yes, people paid me over $100 each for them on ebay.

As for Donald Duck, I just got one a few months ago. I can't remember what the inside looked like, but it was definitely not a blob. In fact I may have the scan of it if I look in my pix.

Ok, I looked for it and found my pic of the DD board. It is one of those circle jobs, not a square one. If I could figure out how to upload the pic, I'd put it up and show you guys. The board says Atari on it and AP 83-001 on the top of it. If someone like Marco or one of the Al's agree to attach the pic to my post here, I'll email them both front and back of the board.

I have I think 2 loaner carts that were both Fireworld. I haven't tested them in like 3 years, so I can't remember if just one was or if both were. Does that mean these were protos? Neither have a name written or typed on the label, they are just blank Loaner labels.

And speaking of mass produced carts, what about Off Your Rocker. Is this a true proto too or is it a mass produced unreleased game?

Ok, ball is in the court.

Phil[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twit:

<STRONG>We already had a big discussion on this topica a while ago, which was fairly interesting. I think that Tempest is correct in stating that they were actually later runs to reduce costs, and not earlier runs as Randy proposes.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We never really concluded that discussion, iirc. Problem with The Master's theory is that there are multiple copies of this 'blob' format of Atari's Donald Duck around, which we all can agree is a prototype.  

So Tempest could be right about the later stage thing, but that does not necessarily mean it's not a prototype any longer. Or am I overlooking something here?

Cheers,

Marco,

I've spoken with the head of Atari's chip manufacturing group, basically the "blob's" were Atari's COB (Chip on Board) where they were experimenting with etching actual chips right onto PCB's to drastically cut not only cost, but size too as Atari was looking into doing software "cards" for possible future game & computer consoles, I even have concept sketches done by Tom Palecki of Atari's Industrial design group that show software "card" designs:

http://www.atari-history.com/computers/8bi...cartridges.html

Curt

Marco