IGNORED

Hardsynth

emkay

Okay, here's another mux experiment

Just guess what this is (hint: no filters used)

(don't look/listen to the slightly wrong pitches, just listen to the type of sound)

(edit: file 3 added later)

Generator "E" at 1.79MHz?

Sounds interesting, particular with 2 channels.

BTW. I tried another tune and it ended also in a sound test, because some colour of the filtersounds need the full correction....

I think the style is interesting, because mostly 2 filter voices at 15kHz are used, but they don't interfere together.

Okay, here's another mux experiment

Just guess what this is (hint: no filters used)

(don't look/listen to the slightly wrong pitches, just listen to the type of sound)

(edit: file 3 added later)

Generator "E" at 1.79MHz?

Sounds interesting, particular with 2 channels.

BTW. I tried another tune and it ended also in a sound test, because some colour of the filtersounds need the full correction....

I think the style is interesting, because mostly 2 filter voices at 15kHz are used, but they don't interfere together.

Indeed generator C (E is the same, though with a different (bass) table) on both voices 1 and 3, both with 1.79mhz mode on. I think this setting needs to be further explored (by the HardSynth team :P ) to give another dimension to pokey's sound spectrum. Another thing: The bass (in file 3) notes are ALSO generator C, though it sounds very stable (perhaps because it is all done in the 15kHz mode) and I put bit 7 of AUDCTL ON ((i.e. 9bits instead of 17bits polycounter) to give a slightly less distorted (thus: cleaner) generator 8 hihat sound on the percussion track.

Your latest tunes sound very interesting, especially the "technoic" tune and this last one. The last one ("baroque") sounds very well pitched, but indeed it's a little bit crackly....I'm curious how it would sound on the real machine. Maybe a bit cleaner?.....

At the beginning of coming february I expect to get a lot less working load, so there's more spare time. My idea is to build a simple homepage on my account with some links to mp3 sounds of the hardsynth testtunes, played on the real hardware. Maybe with more comments and more maybe some info on creating those sounds on the pokey.

cheers,

mux

I did some more finetuning on the 1.79mhz generator C voices. Now it sounds more 'hearable'

The following track is the same tune (samurai) as before, but now with a far better pitch correction. It is still generator C on voices 1 and 3 (both clocked with 1.79MHz). No filters used, just normal interference

The track consists of two parts (after that it repeats from the beginning)

The first part has a slight pitch difference between voice 1 and 3: this results in a fatter soundcolor, but because now the mean pitch of voice 1 + 3 lies somewhat higher, the bass notes are also slightly corrected to a higher pitch.

The second part has a minimal pitch difference, resulting in a sharp chorussed instrument. Especially the soundcolor of the second part reminds me of some SEGA 16bit tunes (Sonic 3 & Knuckles: "sky sanctuary zone" e.a.)

mux

Next "old" one....

Actually.... this tune needs arpeggios in the bass notes.

Also, it needs "interchanging" Sounds in the the main melodies.

So have a listen to it in the "Hardsynth" version:

Keep in Mind: Still the old 50Hz VBI blabla... ;)

Edited by emkay

OK, here's the result of my very lazy monday.

Here's Maktone's module "Polly was a cracker" converted by me in a moment of my very weird state of humour... ;)

The first one (with no number) sounds ugly and can be rather omitted. The one marked "1" is my attempt to use 15kHz filter (but on left channel only!). The next ones ("2" and "3") are similar to "2" but there are some "sid-variations" added.

The original module is also added for reference.

So...

Have a good time! :cool:

polly.zip

Edited by miker

OK, here's the result of my very lazy monday.

Here's Maktone's module "Polly was a cracker" converted by me in a moment of my very weird state of humour... ;)

The first one (with no number) sounds ugly and can be rather omitted. The one marked "1" is my attempt to use 15kHz filter (but on left channel only!). The next ones ("2" and "3") are similar to "2" but there are some "sid-variations" added.

The original module is also added for reference.

So...

Have a good time! :cool:

Hmmm...not bad for a lazy day's work :)

When I listened I immediately noticed that the snaredrum needs some finetuning: in the envelope loop I changed the frequency from $10 to $15...then the note fits more into the tune...

..the picture shows what I changed.

Edited by analmux

Well, having 2 pokeys (one at 15hKz and on at 64kHz) , it is easy to handle a 4 voice MOD ;-)

What I cannot understand:

Why is the main voice always always too high? Well, setting it one octave below, it sounds more like the original.

Hm... actually the tune is not really at my taste, and this 1 Pokey 3 channel thingy has some volume probs:

But, for sure, it will run on any 8-bit machine without any hardware changes... ok a little faster on 60Hz machines ;-)

(Just for comparision)

Edited by emkay

These tunes are great. I recognise "First Samurai" ,

"James Pond 2", "R-Type AMIGA intro", "Last Ninja 2

Central Park", I think one of the songs is "Space Crusade"

and another called "Leander" as mod, and "Goldrunner"

="Human Race".

Great stuff. If anybody needs MODs to convert, I have

a lot of them, the MODs Anthology collection has 10000

of them, although some are more than 4 channel and

I have quite a lot C64 conversions as MODs or Midis.

Can anyone adapt this one? This is Martin Galway's

"Comic Bakery" title song. It's an AMIGA MOD.

This is one of my favourite C64 tunes.

Thimo

COMIC3.zip

Edited by Lord-Chaos

These tunes are great. I recognise "First Samurai" ,

"James Pond 2", "R-Type AMIGA intro", "Last Ninja 2

Central Park", I think one of the songs is "Space Crusade"

and another called "Leander" as mod, and "Goldrunner"

="Human Race".

Great stuff. If anybody needs MODs to convert, I have

a lot of them, the MODs Anthology collection has 10000

of them, although some are more than 4 channel and

I have quite a lot C64 conversions as MODs or Midis.

Can anyone adapt this one? This is Martin Galway's

"Comic Bakery" title song. It's an AMIGA MOD.

This is one of my favourite C64 tunes.

Thimo

Space Crusade is correct.

Comic Bakery is a hard bread. Looking earlier in this thread you see a try. But the sounds were not stable enough.

Perhaps I'll redo it from scratch.

Well, having 2 pokeys (one at 15hKz and on at 64kHz) , it is easy to handle a 4 voice MOD ;-)

What I cannot understand:

Why is the main voice always always too high? Well, setting it one octave below, it sounds more like the original.

Hm... actually the tune is not really at my taste, and this 1 Pokey 3 channel thingy has some volume probs:

But, for sure, it will run on any 8-bit machine without any hardware changes... ok a little faster on 60Hz machines ;-)

(Just for comparision)

the filter voice seems to have a delay (of 1 VBLANK)...so I messed a bit with it:

-all other instruments than #5 and #6 I inserted a delay cycle in front of the envelope

-instrument #5 and #6 have a changed envelope: the filter cycle is slower

-instrument #4's arpeggio is slower and an extra bonus effect is added.

-the vibrato on instrument #8 comes in later and is slower

-I did an overal volume edit to give more sound balance.

my question: do you like it better now?

the filter voice seems to have a delay (of 1 VBLANK)...so I messed a bit with it:

-all other instruments than #5 and #6 I inserted a delay cycle in front of the envelope

Sounds interesting. But your Filter switch in instr. 4 gives unwanted noise (imho). Using some 1.79MHz sounds would do well. Perhaps it is fair enough now?

The vibrato "3" always went detuned. So here a change back and some portameto added.

(vibrato 3 is very good for making filtered voices sound cool (Gyroscope f.e.) )

And some additional noise reduction is done.

Ideas?

Sounds interesting. But your Filter switch in instr. 4 gives unwanted noise (imho). Using some 1.79MHz sounds would do well. Perhaps it is fair enough now?

The vibrato "3" always went detuned. So here a change back and some portameto added.

(vibrato 3 is very good for making filtered voices sound cool (Gyroscope f.e.) )

And some additional noise reduction is done.

Ideas?

...but IMHO the song sounds clearer if you make the bassdrum sound shorter/more compact....

the improvement on ins. 5 & 6 with the changed starting pitch sounds better. It gives more warmth to the filter voice

...but IMHO the song sounds clearer if you make the bassdrum sound shorter/more compact....

the improvement on ins. 5 & 6 with the changed starting pitch sounds better. It gives more warmth to the filter voice

Why not "breaking" the sound with gen "C" or "E" ? The pitch is slightly different to giv a little variation.

At least, this solution doesn't interfere with the filter voice.

Back to "comic bakery".

Problems with this tune:

You have partially very short notes( not supported for filter yet)

And, you have very long notes (sometimes over multiple pattern, so different envelope handling is necessary)

Here is a fully different version:

Many of needed variations are there. But, possibly, some notes are not played on the real thing and need a different timing.