IGNORED

Hardsynth

emkay

Another setting of the sound for Sack's conversion of the "Mayonnaise" tune.

I wonder what people think about this?

Soft sounding over all the tune. Sweet kicking drums. All 15kHz sounds.

The main voice is played rather higher than 15kHz are regulary able to play.

hmm... how would that lead sound work in the prosonix cover I did? always thought it sounded like the chip was screaming in agony the way I did it, but that sound for the lead might actually come across as more natural...

(by the way.. I quit my job last week - so might have time to get back into doing some atari music now...)

Edited by sack-c0s

Another setting of the sound for Sack's conversion of the "Mayonnaise" tune.

I wonder what people think about this?

Soft sounding over all the tune. Sweet kicking drums. All 15kHz sounds.

The main voice is played rather higher than 15kHz are regulary able to play.

hmm... how would that lead sound work in the prosonix cover I did? always thought it sounded like the chip was screaming in agony the way I did it, but that sound for the lead might actually come across as more natural...

(by the way.. I quit my job last week - so might have time to get back into doing some atari music now...)

Unfortunately RMT doesn't read my old RMT-files? So the already changed "Ode to Prosonix" doesn't work anymore.

What about that deal?

You send me the RMT-file, I put the instrument in and after that you may do some finetune?

:ponder:

Unfortunately RMT doesn't read my old RMT-files? So the already changed "Ode to Prosonix" doesn't work anymore.

What about that deal?

You send me the RMT-file, I put the instrument in and after that you may do some finetune?

sure thing.

A couple of friends have given me a load of ebm/synthpop/electroclash/insert genre here type things to listen to so have been pondering a few covers again. As I type this apoptygma bezerk - nonstop violence is playing in the background and it does have a really cool agressive harsh lead to it which might make on the the pokeys weaknesses an advantage in this case? Might have a try....

• 2 months later...

New? Raster's site says: 14.8.2006, but your '...' could imply 'coming soon'?

To re-cap (IIRC) emkay's issues were more to do with 1) note/frequency mapping issues and 2) the pokey emulation and so sound reproduction quality, e.g. missing certain sounds/FX/side-effects producable on a real machine.

RMT uses DLLs containing the same routines used in the Atari800 emulator (Windows port). The set produced on this thread I think superceed those on available on Raster's site, being built from a more recent version of the emulator's sources.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75505

AFAIK, the moves within the Atari800 emulation project by people like Michael Borisov to improve the emulation might be on-going or have stalled - Piotr Fusik might know the current state?

In summary, with a tool like RMT offering more - it can still be let down by the sound emulation provided - maybe pushing some users away from utilizing it - but for 99% of tunes you want to make it should suffice :)

OK. here a "revised" Version.

A bit more "Pokey-Chippy" and some little portamento on the 1.79MHz Filter Voice.

I don't know the original tune, but I have the feeling that there's something wrong with the main voice (maybe a wrong transpose again ? :) )....emkay, can you send or post the original?

...and besides...for example, I still find the project very interesting, but I simply don't have much time....:(

Edited by analmux

OK. here a "revised" Version.

A bit more "Pokey-Chippy" and some little portamento on the 1.79MHz Filter Voice.

I don't know the original tune, but I have the feeling that there's something wrong with the main voice (maybe a wrong transpose again ? :) )....emkay, can you send or post the original?

Well... not all notes are corrected. The method I used for the "straight notes" (c d e f g a h c) is not precisely enough for all notes. So the biggest challenge would be, to have a tool that recognizes the audible note directly- by calculating the wave-changes.... Using Speaker an Mike is not that good.

And, another problem: The main voice on the "source"-Mod-file is built with two channels and the sense of the used instrument is different. So the main Voice needs to be re-written.... and .... as you know: I am fool musician... ;-)

Here the original mod and the rmt file:

Sounds as good as the original arcade music!

Well... it sound like someone put pokey out of the A8 and put some superior soundchip in ;-)

(it's still more potential in there)

But, it's still pokey and ... though ... simple 50Hz VBI programming.

Now think about Sheddy's Space Harrier with music in this style. When playing FX, the percussion could be stopped temporarily...

peculary I wanted to release this a bit later... for an upcoming event... ;-)

But, I encountered again a problem which easily could be solved.... it only had to be done...

What's needed is to separate the volume changes from the pitch changes, for making separated length and loops for both.

BTW. What tunes are in there? I only recognize 3 of them :ponder:

Edited by emkay

Ok... before the thread is going into nirvana....

Maybe some known thing for some people....

... ;) bass might need a transpose again...

I think, it's not the pitch, it's the needed manipulation and variation of the bass sound, that is missing.

With pokey filter you can do, but you only have 2 channels then.