IGNORED

Millipede (on PS2 Atari Anthology disc)

Gabriel

Back in the day, I never even knew that Millipede ever got produced for the 2600. When I discovered the classic gaming scene, 2600 Millipede's existence surprised me. I gave it a couple of quick runs on Z26 and looked at some pictures, but I mostly ignored it. I was more interested in the 5200 version of the game, or playing the arcade emulation.

For some time, I've had Atari Anthology for my PS2. I once again gave 2600 Millipede almost no consideration. I loaded it up, looked at it, then moved on to something else. But last night, I decided to seriously play the emulated (?) 2600 Millipede on that disc.

Wow.

No. Scratch that. FUCK WOW!

Is Atari Anthology version of this game accurate to the 2600 version? Because it is awesome. I played the thing for hours. It was absolutely frantic, and one of the most enjoyable zoners I've played recently.

Back in the day, I never even knew that Millipede ever got produced for the 2600.  When I discovered the classic gaming scene, 2600 Millipede's existence surprised me.  I gave it a couple of quick runs on Z26 and looked at some pictures, but I mostly ignored it.  I was more interested in the 5200 version of the game, or playing the arcade emulation.

For some time, I've had Atari Anthology for my PS2.  I once again gave 2600 Millipede almost no consideration.  I loaded it up, looked at it, then moved on to something else.  But last night, I decided to seriously play the emulated (?) 2600 Millipede on that disc.

Wow.

No.  Scratch that.  FUCK WOW!

Is Atari Anthology version of this game accurate to the 2600 version?  Because it is awesome.  I played the thing for hours.  It was absolutely frantic, and one of the most enjoyable zoners I've played recently.

849879[/snapback]

Yes, the Atari Anthology version is faithful to the 2600 cartridge version.

I'm still blown away by how many sprites the 2600 moves around in this game! Amazing! Millipede is one of my definite top 3 games for the 2600.

Way back when, I had moved on to Colecovision before some of the 2600's best games became available. When I finally bought and played Millipede a couple of years ago, I was completely blown away. I had no idea that the 2600 was capable of some of the great games that were released later in its lifecycle. Stargate (Defender 2), Phoenix, Millipede, Jr. Pacman, and Galaxian are a few "standouts" that, for me, really show how capable the 2600 was.

Millipede is truly an amazing game. It's incredibly intense and a total blast to play. Definitely one of the reasons my Atari still gets as much or more play time than my current gen systems. Jr. Pacman is another one that blew me away. Incredible gameplay and incredibly challenging...like Millipede.

My bro got this for his birthday back in 84 or 85. We played the heck out of it. It's one of those shining examples of how the 2600 could do an arcade port that didn't look great graphics-wise, but blew the crap out of all the other systems due to it's lightning speed and instant controls. Great game!

Yea, Millipede is great. You don't get any breaks in it that's for sure. I don't care that I'm blasting blocks instead of mushrooms....I think the gameplay is so great that the graphics are secondary. Actually, I think the graphics are pretty good too.