IGNORED

Where Did you go from Atari 2600???

brianwolters

My folks got an Atari VCS in the early 80's pre-crash(1981?), but after they came down in price. I remember having Pac-man, Frogger and Championship Soccer. I later got a VIC-20 a few years later which led to a C-64 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 2000. I still played the Atari often until I left for College in 1992...

Many of my 2600 games were bought in the store new (at post crash prices). I bought a Lynx when they went down in price. I sold the Lynx later to get a Jaguar. I then sold the Jaguar for a Genesis/32x setup when Checkered Flag sucked and Doom locked up on my unit. I had a Colecovision for awhile but sold off the games after the system died. I slowly got into more systems after they were dead or dying over time.

Summary:

Atari 2600 (new) -> unit died replaced w/ 2600jr

Vic-20 -> C-64

Amiga 500 (new) -> Amiga 2000 (new)

Lynx (new) -> Jaguar -> Genesis/32x combo

Sega CD

Playstation -> Playstation 2 (new)

N64 (new)

Dreamcast (new)

Jap Hello Kitty Dreamcast (new)-> Turbo Duo w/ Turbo Express

Bought later: NES, SNES, replacement Jag, Jag CD, Saturn, Gameboy Color, 3D0, replacement Lynx

Cheers,

le geek

We always had a 1 console, 1 computer household until just a few years ago.

Years are close, but approximate...

started with an Odyssey Pong System - 1980

then 2600 and Ti994A - 1981-2

got rid of 2600 for NES - 1985

got rid of TI for C64 - 1986

got rid of C64 for PC - 1989

got rid of NES for Genesis - 1990

got rid of PC for another PC - every 2 years or so after 1993

briefly had Genesis and SNES at same time - 1992 Genesis sold at end of 92

The SNES is the oldest original system I still own (it is also ironically, my least favorite).

After that I still have every system I have ever bought... in chronological order they are

Game Boy, Game Gear, Playstation, Genesis, NES, Saturn, TG-16, 2600, 32X, Jaguar, Intellivision, Game.com, Virtual Boy, SMS, Dreamcast, C64, 7800, Odyssey 2 (non working),Playstation 2, 5200 (2 of 'em non-working), 3DO, TI994A, Game Boy Advance, GameCube. Whew...that's a lot of plastic.

• 11 years later...

Atari 2600> TI99/4a> Mattel Aquarius> Colecovision> Sinclair Spectrum> Atari 800XL> CBM128> CBM Amiga> NES> SNES> Megadrive> MegaCD> Nintendo64> PC> Playstation 2> Playstation 3.

That is the order that I purchased new hardware in.

Retro collecting since about 1997 and have about a further 30 machines.

Got a 2600 and never got another system. I did play NES, SNES, Playstation, and xbox at a friends house. Maybe some other consoles that I

don't remember as well. He always kept up with the current system.

I did have a computer too. I think it was a Tandy and I played Golf on it as much as I play Kaboom! now. :)

Oh crap. I didn't realize this was an ancient thread.

Edited by Atarian7

Atari 2600 -> NES -> Playstation -> 360

I won't count the ColecoVision cuz that was my brother's but when he got it in '82 I spent a lot of time on it. Also, I won't count all the other systems I own because I purchased them over the last several years to add to my collection. So, my list is of systems I bought when they were latest gen.

Ah, where from the 2600. Well...I think there was a gaming gap for awhile, then moved onto the NES and had quite a sizable collection of games for it. After that? SNES, then N64, jumped over to the Genesis, had the Sega CD and 32X, somewhere in between managed to snag a Vectrex, 5200...kinda bounced around there for awhile. Then had a major bout of PC gaming...moved over to the Wii, then jumped ship and went to portable gaming with the Nintendo 3DS. But, last year, wifey bought me a 360. But now, it's 3DS gaming. Sometimes still play the Wii, but very little.

Our family never actually owned a 2600, but I remember we borrowed on from a friend of may dad's for a little while before we got bought a Colecovision. We sold that after a year or so and got a Commodore 64 (later updating to a 128). Then nothing until I got a Turbografx-16 in high school. That was it until college when I found a 2600 at a garage sale and started picking up other vintage systems (Intellivision, a new Colecovision, Odyssey 2, 5200, Astrocade).

Oh no! Somebody resurrected an old thread instead of creating a new one with a similar title so people could say "sigh, we've already done this" and post a link back to the old thread that nobody is supposed to post in. :D

Here's what I can remember:

Magnavox Odyssey 400

Atari 2600

VIC-20

Commodore 64

NES

Atari 7800

SNES

Amiga 500

3DO

Playstation

Xbox

PS2

PC games, emulators, and free online games

Xbox 360

• Like 1

Coleco Telstar Arcade --> Atari 2600 --> ColecoVision --> Atari 5200 --> Atari 400 --> Atari 1200XL --> Apple //c & NES --> 386 Wintel & TG-16 & Genesis --> 486 Wintel & Jaguar & SNES --> {Wintel Black Hole} --> Linux --> FreeBSD --> Apple Mac (OS X 10.1) & PS2 --> {Various Apple Macs and versions of OS X} --> Apple Mac (OS X 10.9) & PS4

Notes:

I traded the 2600 and carts for an Inty and carts with a friend, just for the summer.

I had a TI99/4a for a while, overlapping the Atari 400 and 1200XL time frames...when the TIs were being sold for basically nothing.

Around 1990, I started going to flea markets and picked up a lot of old consoles and 8-bit computer hardware and software.

This is the order i acquired these, however play time on each of the systems overlap as i have always liked to go back and play the classics. Unfortunately for me late gen console gaming is not the same as back in the day so it is classic console or PC gaming for me.

Atari 2600 -> PC-DOS 286-486 -> NES -> SNES -> PC-Win95 Pentium 1 -> Playstation -> Megadrive(Gen) -> Master System -> PC-Win98 Pentium 3 -> PS2 -> PC-WinXP Pentium 4 various though to AMD945 -> PS3 -> Currently PC-Win7 AMD1100TBE

In the 80's: 2600 > TI99/4A > Intellivision > Atari 400 > Aquarius > Apple ][+ > NES > C64 > Amiga 1000 > Amiga 500

...years after that is really way too much time spent pursuing nearly every other computer/gaming system made. Buying, selling, refurbishing, building up large collections, only to sell off - rinse, wash and repeat. :lol:

Edited by save2600

Never actually owned A2600 at 80's we just rent it from video store weekends. Just like Colecovision and Vectrex. But my computer and gaming hobby went like..

Vic20

C64

Amiga 1000 + Sidecar BBS use

Commodore AT 40-40 BBS use

Amiga 3000

Osborne 486/66

Pentium II

AMD 4800

MacBook Air

Consoles:

PS1

N64

Dreamcast

PS2

GameCube

PS3

Wii

And these days collect (all possible) retro machines (and arcade cabinets).