IGNORED

Flashback 2 Reviews

Atari Flashback 2 Reviews

Here are some reviews posted by AtariAge members and other review links from internet sites. Please feel free to add to the topic if you have a review.

Here are some reviews (updated September 3, 2006) from around the internet:

2600 Connection #78

The Video Game Critic

Techtite.com

Amazon.com Flashback page

SportsGate Newsreader

the laser

PC Magazine

AtariAge member reviews:

Flojomojo

johnnywc - Part 1

johnnywc - Part 2

Lord Helmet

Lord Thag

skunkworx

sidcrowe

Velvis

Waggie - Part 1

Waggie - Part 2

Zoop

Zwackery

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by atwwong

Very nice. I can't wait to get this product!

Too bad Thrust got pulled, but oh well, I have the original cart...it just would have been awesome to give that game the kind of exposure only a mass produced unit can provide. ( What did FB 1 sell? Half a million units?) I'm sure Thomas had his reasons though.

The reviewer seems to be under the impression the 2600 hardware is producing the menus.

Seems a little off that you need to turn the system off and on to get back to the menu (even if that's how a real 2600 works). A simple button to reset/reboot the system would've done nicely.

I assume the games under the Space Station and Skill and Action Zone are reversed :?

891546[/snapback]

Thanks, was late last night when I wrote and posted it. Wish I could open the baby up and take a picture, but I don't think Atari/Curt would appreciate that. If anybody wants to see a screen shot, let me know. Will see what I can do (won't be until evening though.

Unit will be on display at the Video Game Summit '05 in Chicago this Saturday. More info at:

http://avc.atari-users.net/Events/FestVGS.html

You will be able to play it on the big screen (LCD Projector on the wall).

Corey

8-Bit Classics

I assume the games under the Space Station and Skill and Action Zone are reversed :?

891546[/snapback]

Thanks, was late last night when I wrote and posted it. Wish I could open the baby up and take a picture, but I don't think Atari/Curt would appreciate that. If anybody wants to see a screen shot, let me know. Will see what I can do (won't be until evening though.

Unit will be on display at the Video Game Summit '05 in Chicago this Saturday. More info at:

http://avc.atari-users.net/Events/FestVGS.html

You will be able to play it on the big screen (LCD Projector on the wall).

Corey

8-Bit Classics

891550[/snapback]

thanks for the plug corey :)

If I could get away from my tables on saturday Iwill give it a try at the show.

If anybody wants to see a screen shot, let me know.  Will see what I can do (won't be until evening though.

891550[/snapback]

How about more screen shots of games we haven't seen. This thread has pictures of the inside.

891596[/snapback]

Yup, noticed it. Will hook boot it up tonight before I package it up and get a few more pictures. I am guessing some of the homebrew/unreleased games.

Corey

Actually there is a warm reset line on the system board to reset back to the main menu from a game. However, I deemed that it would be better to not alter the button configuration of the flashback 2 vs the original 2600 by adding a button never originally on the 2600, again there are a lot of hidden bonuses on the pcb for those who want to expand the functionality and capabilites of the system with some hacking.

Curt

The reviewer seems to be under the impression the 2600 hardware is producing the menus.

Seems a little off that you need to turn the system off and on to get back to the menu (even if that's how a real 2600 works). A simple button to reset/reboot the system would've done nicely.

891509[/snapback]

Curt, That is what I figured (making it more original). The box didn't have any instructions, so thought maybe if you pressed couple buttons it would do it, but it works :)

Corey

Actually there is a warm reset line on the system board to reset back to the main menu from a game.    However, I deemed that it would be better to not alter the button configuration of the flashback 2 vs the original 2600 by adding a button never originally on the 2600, again there are a lot of hidden bonuses on the pcb for those who want to expand the functionality and capabilites of the system with some hacking.

Curt

891509[/snapback]

891603[/snapback]

Yup, noticed it.  Will hook boot it up tonight before I package it up and get a few more pictures.  I am guessing some of the homebrew/unreleased games.

891598[/snapback]

Here's my list :D

Adventure II

Arcade Pong

Lunar Lander

Caverns of Mars

Yar's Return

Actually there is a warm reset line on the system board to reset back to the main menu from a game.    However, I deemed that it would be better to not alter the button configuration of the flashback 2 vs the original 2600 by adding a button never originally on the 2600

A "three finger salute" setup wouldn't have worked? Like, hold down reset + power to reset back to the menu?

Also, how do you tell if the difficulty switches are in the A or B position?

As for the review itself... meh. It doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Not only does he not describe the new games, he doesn't even acknowledge that they exist! And he keeps calling it the "2.0" instead of just "2".

Wish I could open the baby up and take a picture, but I don't think Atari/Curt would appreciate that.

891550[/snapback]

Heh, anything loaned out for review becomes yours and should never be given back. Why do you think there are so many lab loaner carts out there

:D

Call me crazy, but I think people here might be more interested in screenshots of the NEW games, rather than the ones we've all seen hundreds of times before.

891825[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but if you read above, I was taking requests for what people wanted pictures of and in the other thread. I apologize that the review and pictures aren't to your liking, but it was quite late last night when I did all this. From what I can tell, most people have enjoyed it and I am willing to put in the extra effort to get what they want posted. Instead of being negative, please put up a request.

Corey

Actually there is a warm reset line on the system board to reset back to the main menu from a game.    However, I deemed that it would be better to not alter the button configuration of the flashback 2 vs the original 2600 by adding a button never originally on the 2600, again there are a lot of hidden bonuses on the pcb for those who want to expand the functionality and capabilites of the system with some hacking.

Curt

891603[/snapback]

So a 7408 AND chip input from the power and reset buttons and output to the reset line would provide a nice "three" finger salute?

I'm starting to get keen on building a portable around the FB2; I was wondering if anybody has tried this mold-making process?

It looks like it could be a good way to make a custom case for a portable; make an original out of clay, then cast it. (Ben Heck's automated milling machine seems so complicated, plus there's the part where I don't have one...)

EDIT: Not that I am in any way denigrating Ben Heck. He's cool! When I found his VCSp site, I was in awe.

Jacob

Edited by Jacob Rose