IGNORED

Flashback 2 Reviews

Any manual in the box?  Curt mentioned a surprise of some sort with the manual.  How will someone know how to play some of these games without instructions?  (Casual gamers and newbies?)

Curt... care to chime in with some info with regards to the manual?  :)

892274[/snapback]

The manual wasn't shipped with the unit that went to Corey

Curt

Is there still something brewing with the manual? I nice surprise of some sort... it's been a few months since it was mentioned but there was a comment made about the manual.

Will each game receive a page of instructions? I'm hoping some work went into the manuals (like the homebrewers do with their games for example). After all, some of the fun is reading the back story to a game then playing it to really feel like you're part of the game! :)

Here are actual pictures mixed with concept art from most of the new Flashback 2 games from Next Level Gaming's Site:

http://www.nlgaming.com/nl/asp/id_3190/nl/gameDetail.htm

Some things to note are that Thrust is include with these pictures :sad: (Thrust is cool; so is Battlezone) and Lunar Lander and some of the Asteroid/Space duel pictures look like concept art.

Lunar Lander looks about as good as I could have possibly expected. A vector-like landscape would've taken some pretty heavy programming gymnastics with missiles/ball to come anywahere close to the back of the box picture.

Too bad there's no video. Screenshots only tell a small part of the story, especially on 2600 games. Guess I'll just have to buy an FB2 to find out. :)

Yup, sorry. Only have it for the weekend, otherwise I would plug it into my graphics card at work and snag some video. Had to get ready for the show so been busy.

Have had over 400 views of the forums review so far. Somebody posted in somethingawful.com forums and the gaming age forums also. So my site has been quite busy.

Corey

Don't forget, those in the Chicago area (or willing to drive), this unit will be on display at the Video Game Summit '05 in Lombard, IL at the Fairfield Inn & Suites from 9am to 5pm, July 16th.

More info can be found at:

http://avc.atari-users.net/Events/FestVGS.html

You will be able to play with the unit hooked up to a projector. Big Big Screen!

Corey

Awesome random what the hell is that supposed to mean skills newbie swiftj freshmeat!

892464[/snapback]

Drinking and posting, the ONE thing I still haven't got a handle on yet. I'm sure I was reasonably upset about something, but hell if I can remember it now. Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't even in this particular forum! Apologies for that one, ZB!

Awesome random what the hell is that supposed to mean skills newbie swiftj freshmeat!

892464[/snapback]

Drinking and posting, the ONE thing I still haven't got a handle on yet. I'm sure I was reasonably upset about something, but hell if I can remember it now. Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't even in this particular forum! Apologies for that one, ZB!

893749[/snapback]

Nah, he had it coming.

892464[/snapback]

893749[/snapback]

Nah, he had it coming.

893821[/snapback]

Yeah... ol' ZB can be a bit crusty every once in a while. Truth be told though... he tells you what's on his mind. He won't sugarcoat it for ya. :)

LOL!

Corey has updated his pictures to show some of the FB 2 menus in greater detail at 8bitclassics:

http://www.8bitclassics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16#16

I don't recalling seeing information on whether you select games in the menu with the joystick and button, or if you can use the select and reset buttons on the console.

Forgot about this thread re: FB2 menu:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70550

Edited by atwwong

Any manual in the box?  Curt mentioned a surprise of some sort with the manual.  How will someone know how to play some of these games without instructions?  (Casual gamers and newbies?)

892275[/snapback]

Manual? There's supposed to be a manual? Awww, crap I knew I was supposed to be doing something........and here I thought Atari was just sending a check because they liked me.

892275[/snapback]

Manual? There's supposed to be a manual? Awww, crap I knew I was supposed to be doing something........and here I thought Atari was just sending a check because they liked me.

894143[/snapback]

AAAHhhaa! How is the manual coming along? Curt dropped a note about a little surprise being planned for the manual (no clue as to what that may be but surprises are always good!) and I wanted to ask a question about how the manual will be done. As there are 40+ games in this unit, it could make for a rather large manual. I was curious if each game gets one page or if they get different amounts as each game varies in difficulty (Outlaw could end up with one page or less and something like Secret Quest may need a few pages?).

Anyways, looking forward to your work on this project! Things are moving along nicely! I hope to get one of these in a month or two! (Especially seeing as I missed Saboteur in cart form and I'm not crazy about the first Flashback.)

On another note, the first Flashback had a manual did it not? How was that one done? Did you have a hand in that one as well? (GEe... I'm full of questions!)

I can see the commercial now... with the Atari jingle. "Have you played Atari today?!" That would be cool!

• 3 weeks later...

The slim paper manual in the box has a small writeup for each game, and a reference to check www.atari.com for a more detailed manual and "unique online experience." Still nothing up at Atari's site, but it's still early, I guess.

What I would have changed in the manual:

- Describe how you need to change games (get up, turn unit off, turn it back on again), maybe with some lame humor about how kids have it easy with their pause buttons and their soft reset keys ...

- Yars' Return, near as I can tell, does not wrap, even though the manual says it does. Maybe the enemies can, but I sure can't.

- Say something about the difficulty buttons. I can't tell if they're pressed or not, and I sure don't recall what they were used for in most games.

Otherwise, this is a great toy, delivered on time and under budget! I wish I could hear Quadrun's voice, but to be honest, I don't really give a $#!t ... just happy to have some new old-style games to play. Save Mary is as neat as they said it was back on r.g.v.c. many years ago!

- Yars' Return, near as I can tell, does not wrap, even though the manual says it does.  Maybe the enemies can, but I sure can't.

That was an error that was corrected several times and somehow made its way back in during the layout for the revision you have.

- Say something about the difficulty buttons.  I can't tell if they're pressed or not, and I sure don't recall what they were used for in most games.

They should click and set in or out (b or a). I just don't think the ammount (distance) it remains locked in is that much.

- Say something about the difficulty buttons.  I can't tell if they're pressed or not, and I sure don't recall what they were used for in most games.

They should click and set in or out (b or a). I just don't think the ammount (distance) it remains locked in is that much.

904580[/snapback]

I can never remember what the default is. I'm using the Asteroids games to figure out what the settings are: easy = no saucers, hard = saucers!