IGNORED

Ye Olde Adventure II Contest

Albert

Sorry, I don't know why lilknight GIFs were so small... I blew them up a few times larger, check it out.  There were some repetitive entries such as various different frames or variations of the same image, so in that case I just showed a few.

I found some time to go back and list everyone's name before their images too.

925804[/snapback]

Thanks! The images for the side-to-side animations were really different from the up-and-down animations, which was why I was surprised that the up-and-down animation was the only movement animation included. But thanks very much. Between you and me and everyone at AtariAge, I really like Juston Hairgrove's knight much better anyway. =)

That knight animation rules!  8) :thumbsup:

It would be cool to see it get used in a VCS game.  :ponder:

926064[/snapback]

I love the way he made the visor open slightly as the helmet drops at the end of the knight's stride, with the plume on his head trailing behind. It's all completely sensible physics. And still only four frames of animation!

(Oh George .. not the livestock)

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...vIIContest.html

BANG A RANG! Check out dem icons!

925578[/snapback]

Wow!... Some of these icons are surprizingly cool! they all are unique and fun to look at! ... but I know Ron will have difficulty deciding the winner. It's just hard to guess which one will get to be immortalized in the game, there are quite a few excellent ones! I can tell that some of them may have taken alot of time and effort esspecialy the animated ones! There are many that look better than what I submitted. I have my personal favorite from the bunch I would like to share with everyone, but I will not reveal that until after the winner has been announced.

Thanks everyone and Cafeman for taking the time to share all the entries with us.

Now I hope to see all the "Quotes" entries! Quite frankly, I could'nt think of any in time to submit but it would be fun to see those that did made it!

925578[/snapback]

Thanks everybody... I really didn't think my knight would get that much attention... he was the last thing I submitted, on the last day of the competition, and I finished him in less than an hour... I wasn't even going to submit it. I'm glad I did now. I also sent along a picture of a few variations for his shield and pretty much gave Ron carte blanche to do what he wanted with it (I've included a pic here so you guys can see some of the options). My earlier submissions were the ones I took way too much time on... like the square-headed guy and the shiny shield (I've included a variation on that as well).

926064[/snapback]

Hmmmm, how cryptic of you, have you got some particular game in mind? Anyway, if none of my submissions find their way into Adventure II I'll try and find a happy home for them somewhere. BTW, did you submit anything mojofltr? Since the contest page uses our real names I couldn't tell. I really liked the animation you did on the Wumpus Hunt 2600 thread, so I'm sure if one of your submissions is on the contest page it's among the very best.

I was surprised by the number of people who entered "3-D squares"... I'm even more surprised I didn't think of it myself. After the fact it seems so obvious, like most great ideas. But, of the 3-D square submissions I liked Jeff Koone's the best for the way he worked out how it should look depending on what quadrant of the screen it's in.

I really thought more people would have gone with the idea of making the square an integral part of a larger player... like my first submission, David Boeser's icon, Joe Kollar's knight, Mechanized's block-head, and Jacob's knight (which I love by the way... particularly the transformation).

Some other icons I liked, that don't fit into any category, are Ben Langberg's first helmet design, Daryl Litts' little guys (especially the ones brandishing swords), Randy Ball's submissions (all of them cool, but some of them downright weird), and Sean Ohlson's knight. I tried to make a forward facing character with a shield as well and it was a total nightmare to get it looking passable... so Sean gets props for making it work so well.

post-6801-1126087235.png

post-6801-1126087241.gif

Edited by jussts

925578[/snapback]

Thanks everybody... I really didn't think my knight would get that much attention... he was the last thing I submitted, on the last day of the competition, and I finished him in less than an hour... I wasn't even going to submit it. I'm glad I did now. I also sent along a picture of a few variations for his shield and pretty much gave Ron carte blanche to do what he wanted with it (I've included a pic here so you guys can see some of the options). My earlier submissions were the ones I took way too much time on... like the square-headed guy and the shiny shield (I've included a variation on that as well).

926064[/snapback]

Some other icons I liked, that don't fit into any category, are Ben Langberg's first helmet design, Daryl Litts' little guys (especially the ones brandishing swords), Randy Ball's submissions (all of them cool, but some of them downright weird), and Sean Ohlson's knight. I tried to make a forward facing character with a shield as well and it was a total nightmare to get it looking passable... so Sean gets props for making it work so well.

926693[/snapback]

Thanks, I tried to keep my little dudes lo-res so the icon would be more maneuverable in the game. I didn't make animations of any of them; although if one is chosen I'm hoping the small size will allow for it in the programming (I also left the color nondescript so that if any are chosen, a color can be decided). My favorites are Juston and Jacob's Knights.

925578[/snapback]

Wow!... Some of these icons are surprizingly cool! they all are unique and fun to look at! ... but I know Ron will have difficulty deciding the winner. It's just hard to guess which one will get to be immortalized in the game, there are quite a few excellent ones! I can tell that some of them may have taken alot of time and effort esspecialy the animated ones! There are many that look better than what I submitted. I have my personal favorite from the bunch I would like to share with everyone, but I will not reveal that until after the winner has been announced.

Okay, okay, I can't keep silent since many others disclosed their favorites already.

I belive it's going to be a coin toss between Jacob Rose's square knight in a box and Juston Hairgroves walking blue knight. But if it were up to me I would love to see Jacob's boxed knight make it into the final game. Of all the entries his has the most character. I was blown away when i saw the all too familiar square and suddenly, Peek-a-boo! out poped the head and feet and then the pike... Very funny and inventive! and it fits the bill perfectly!

Don't get me wrong. Juston's blue knght is flawless and I love the way he animated it so fluidly! I can see his entry making it into many other games as well as Adventure II. It's a very flexible design!

But on the other hand, Jacob's design is more personally created just for Adventure II and I can't see it being used in any other game. Just check out the icons list link posted earlier by Ron (aka 'cafeman') and see for yourselves.

Let's face it, there can only be one winner and Heck, they're both excellent, why not include both? I'd like to see them both in the selection if there is enough space in the cart esspecially if I'm going to be the end user of the final product. I mean, I don't even care about what I submmited but I'm surprized by some of the high quality entries posted just for this contest alone. (job well done guys!)

I'm glad I was a part of it and hope to see others like it.

My congrats in advance to the decided winner(s)! (one can still hope!)

-DV

There will be more than one icon accepted into the game. To quote the contest rules, first paragraph:

Winners will get their idea used in the game with proper recognition of their unique contribution, and be entered into a pool to win one of the following prizes:

2 Runners-Up -- a free AtariAge homebrew of your choice

1 Grand Prize -- a free AtariAge homebrew of your choice AND a free copy of Adventure II for the Atari 5200, including box and manual.

I am planning on using a several icons into the game, and a bunch of the rankings will make it into the game too. There's too many good entries on both fronts to only pick one!

BTW, did you submit anything mojofltr? Since the contest page uses our real names I couldn't tell. I really liked the animation you did on the Wumpus Hunt 2600 thread, so I'm sure if one of your submissions is on the contest page it's among the very best.

Naw, I read about the contest too late. It's cool though... I'm not sure if I'd have come up with anything as clever as what was entered.

I have played with pixel graphics before. I am lost child in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49926&hl=

and my regular nick here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=wolfenstein

There are more somewhere, but I can't remember where I put them. They are all pretty plain compared to your stuff.

BTW, I can't wait to see what you come up with for Hunchy 2's label! :D

There will be more than one icon accepted into the game.  To quote the contest rules, first paragraph:

Winners will get their idea used in the game with proper recognition of their unique contribution, and be entered into a pool to win one of the following prizes:

2 Runners-Up -- a free AtariAge homebrew of your choice

1 Grand Prize -- a free AtariAge homebrew of your choice AND a free copy of Adventure II for the Atari 5200, including box and manual.

I am planning on using a several icons into the game, and a bunch of the rankings will make it into the game too. There's too many good entries on both fronts to only pick one!

929201[/snapback]

Glad to hear that! Will you be posting all the rankings that was submitted as you had done for the icons for us to see as well? I have no entries there but I'm just curious of the number of entries as compared to the icons.

Also, is there any date set as to when the winners for both contests will be anounced? Thx!

-DV

Not that they were all displayed, but I submitted 4 views for each of my characters and animations so they all had a front view, a side view and a back view with walking anim's of each.

Though if I had any clue of the awesome entries already sent, I would've spent more time on mine! :D

Edited by Ringman

I didn't expect quality animated stuff like 2 of the Knights, for example, among others. Some had (in my opinion) a bit too many different frames, I didn't expect that & its more work to try to fit it in & code an animation routine for each unique "icon".

I will post all of the rankings entries, and the finalists of Icons and Rankings very soon. September has been very busy for me so thanks for your patience.

I really geared mine toward being simple, myself.  It seemed encouraged due to memory constraints.

Here's hoping my Blockhead can hold his own against the square-shielded knight. 

931332[/snapback]

I liked your girly-girl entry too. :D

Okay, here is a link to a the Rankings entries for y'inz guys to peruse:

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...IIContest3.html

Edited by Cafeman