IGNORED

FB2 and ADV2...

The game is completely designed from the ground up using the Adventure engine, but none of the mazes or kingdoms in it is a carry over from the original Adventure.

If it is based on the Adventure engine then why did the developer appear to change the kernel so that a sprite other than the ball is used for the main character?

In the screenshot posted, since the main character is dark and the background is dark the player disappears. If he had used the ball then it would always inherit the playfield pixel color.

If it is based on the Adventure engine then why did the developer appear to change the kernel so that a sprite other than the ball is used for the main character?

914283[/snapback]

So it might look different from the original in some small way??

I actually like the change. It makes it seem familiar, yet different, the way a true sequel should.

OK...I'm having trouble finding the dot...is it in the Fire Kingdom? The bat keeps taking the ladder from me in that maze  :x :)

913075[/snapback]

There's a room near the start that seems to be a 'hidden object' room (i.e. a room which only requires two objects to flicker). I wonder if there's something there? Also, is there any quick and easy way to fully reset the game?

Once you open the Hegde Maze castle gate, the bat is now free to roam through all of the kingdoms, though you'll find it likes to stay around the invisible maze a lot and in the Ice Kingdom maze a lot and can really be a pest, especially once you've found the chalice (always guarded by Rindle and he WILL chase you dauntingly if you can steal the chalice from him and escape (though there is a trick to confuse him and he'll stay put)

907723[/snapback]

Does the bat ever steal the "mystery dot"? I've sometimes seen the bat with what looks like a four-pixel yellow bar. Perhaps I should see if the "left cafeteria room" still flickers with only two objects in it.

PS--Any idea why the game keeps dropping verrtical sync frames?

Whoooo Hooooo! I found the hidden message in Adventure 2! I feel special! Not special in the 'short school bus' kind of way, special in the 'I know a secret that a lot of people don't' kind of way.

912573[/snapback]

I just found it too. Rather disappointing, actually. Just a rehash of the original, but (1) with a great big neon sign on the door saying "HIDDEN ROOM BEHIND HERE", and (2) no logic as to why the dot should open the door. In the original Adventure, although the real reason the dot unlocked the door is that it was programmed to do so, there was a sound logical reason as well: the door's color was always that of the second object in the room. If the second object in the room happened to be the same color as the background, that would make the door the same color as the background (ergo invisible). Thus, when the background is gray, it would make sense that a gray dot would unlock a gray door. There is no compelling reason, however, why the gray dot should unlock a door in a room with a colored background.

• 4 weeks later...
Picky picky...:)

I love A2...

One of the best things about FB2 is that you get 3 gmaes based on Adventure: Adventure, A2 and Return to Haunted House.

916156[/snapback]

Return To Haunted House is even harder. Try to avoid the ghost and the Grim Reaper; it's a task!!!

When I got into the crypt I was greeted by 3 baddies who came a chasing! Tony did a heck of a job with RTHH... It like you can work you way through the games:

Adv 1 - level 1, then 2, then 3. Go to Adv 2, after that go to Return to Haunted House and really go crazy...

I'm starting to lay out idea's for Adv3, but I want to speak with Ron Llyod a bit about it and get some of his input, so perhaps once he's done with Adv2, he can do a 5200 Adv3 and I'll do a 2600 Adv3, I learned a lot from Flashback 2 Adv2, and made a LOT of mistakes in doing it, hopefully something much better will be down the road.

Curt

Yea, the reaper and ghosts are FAST in that game. If you get one stalking you in one of the dark mazes, you are sooo toast.

934328[/snapback]

Tony did a heck of a job with RTHH...
:D

Adv 1 - level 1, then 2, then 3.  Go to Adv 2, after that go to Return to Haunted House and really go crazy...

I'm starting to lay out idea's for Adv3, but I want to speak with Ron Llyod a bit about it and get some of his input, so perhaps once he's done with Adv2, he can do a 5200 Adv3 and I'll do a 2600 Adv3, I learned a lot from Flashback 2 Adv2, and made a LOT of mistakes in doing it, hopefully something much better will be down the road.

I also learned a lot from making RTHH, as it was my first completed project. I'm hoping the 2 sequels will be fun for Atari fans... ;)

Tony did a heck of a job with RTHH...
:D

Adv 1 - level 1, then 2, then 3.   Go to Adv 2, after that go to Return to Haunted House and really go crazy...

I also learned a lot from making RTHH, as it was my first completed project. I'm hoping the 2 sequels will be fun for Atari fans... ;)

934651[/snapback]

2 Sequels?????? I have HA2...does this mean there is a HA3 on the way??? :lust:

On a side note...I hope HA2 makes it onto FB3. This game deserves to be played by thousands of lucky gamers (even if it does kick my ass all over the place every time I play it :))

• 4 months later...
There's a room near the start that seems to be a 'hidden object' room (i.e. a room which only requires two objects to flicker).  I wonder if there's something there?  Also, is there any quick and easy way to fully reset the game?

915407[/snapback]

If you leave the gold castle and go two rooms down and one room left, that room flickers with only one object present. And if you use the bridge to pass through the top of that same room you will emerge in front of the green/hedge castle.

Randy

If you leave the gold castle and go two rooms down and one room left, that room flickers with only one object present. And if you use the bridge to pass through the top of that same room you will emerge in front of the green/hedge castle.

1012509[/snapback]

In the original Adventure, the "number room" will flicker with only one object until the player visits a dark room because the "surround" object defaults to that location. I wonder if something similar could be going on here.

• 2 weeks later...
In the original Adventure, the "number room" will flicker with only one object until the player visits a dark room because the "surround" object defaults to that location.  I wonder if something similar could be going on here.

1012689[/snapback]

That is a good theory but aren't there usually 3 objects in a room before the flicker effect (er, I mean "good magic") kicks in? So in the Adv2 room two unseen objects would have to be present. I could be mistaken...

Maybe the unexpected Adv2 flicker is there as a decoy... to throw you off in the room where the dot is actually hidden. Or maybe there is another hidden surprise in the game. :ponder:

Edited by Randy

In the original Adventure, the "number room" will flicker with only one object until the player visits a dark room because the "surround" object defaults to that location.  I wonder if something similar could be going on here.

1012689[/snapback]

That is a good theory but aren't there usually 3 objects in a room before the flicker effect (er, I mean "good magic") kicks in? So in the Adv2 room two unseen objects would have to be present. I could be mistaken...

supercat was talking about how the original Adventure places the surround (light square around the player) in the number room. You can see it in the original code. And yes, three objects in a normal room or two objects in a dark room produces flicker.

Maybe the unexpected Adv2 flicker is there as a decoy... to throw you off in the room where the dot is actually hidden. Or maybe there is another hidden surprise in the game. :ponder:

1020422[/snapback]

If you find something else, let us know. ;)

1020422[/snapback]

Someday I'll get me a ROM of that game and analyze it. That might reveal what's hidden there.

Alternatively, you could just do it the old fashioned way and play the game.

1020965[/snapback]

It might not be possible to find the "hidden objects" in that room by playing the game. If there are a couple of static objects whose room number matches that room, but whose position puts them off-screen, it would be impossible to determine that via gameplay alone.

It might not be possible to find the "hidden objects" in that room by playing the game.  If there are a couple of static objects whose room number matches that room, but whose position puts them off-screen, it would be impossible to determine that via gameplay alone.

1021035[/snapback]

If the objects are off screen, flickering wouldn't occur.

But you could make an object like this:

.byte "Hidden Text here"

and place it in the room in the walls and make it the same color, rendering it invisible and undetectable. I don't know if Curt & Co. would do this since they already have their credits in the game.

It would be hard to find something like this unless you disassembled the rom. Something like Hack-o-Matic ][ wouldn't reveal this.

If the objects are off screen, flickering wouldn't occur.

If you drag an object off-screen, the object's room number will be assigned to the adjoining room. But that can't happen with static objects; if a static object is off screen, I think it's still considered part of the current room.

It would be hard to find something like this unless you disassembled the rom. Something like Hack-o-Matic ][ wouldn't reveal this.

1021040[/snapback]

My plan was to use Z26 to watch the RAM addresses that track the current object allocations for the sprites. Running a Z26 log for a few frames while an object flickers in that room would show what other objects were supposedly "there".

If you drag an object off-screen, the object's room number will be assigned to the adjoining room.  But that can't happen with static objects; if a static object is off screen, I think it's still considered part of the current room.
Ah, you are correct. I tested this out with an adventure asm file by placing two static objects in the number room, but one was set with y=$FE so it would appear off screen. Then I placed a key in the number room, and the two visible objects flickered.
My plan was to use Z26 to watch the RAM addresses that track the current object allocations for the sprites.  Running a Z26 log for a few frames while an object flickers in that room would show what other objects were supposedly "there".

1021050[/snapback]

Sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:

1012509[/snapback]

In the original Adventure, the "number room" will flicker with only one object until the player visits a dark room because the "surround" object defaults to that location. I wonder if something similar could be going on here.

1012689[/snapback]

Sorry that I didn't read carefully what was being discussed originally re: searching for a hidden object because of unexpected flickering.

I wonder why someone would want to hide an object off screen... :ponder: ...unless the programmer(s) wanted to torture us into finding it by making us hack a FB2, retrieving the rom (which was probably not intended in the first place), and eithering decompiling or using an emu like z26 to trace and find the object.

I guess it is a wicked possibility... :P :twisted: Hmmm... getting evil ideas... must stop... :)