IGNORED

FB2 and ADV2...

I wonder why someone would want to hide an object off screen...  :ponder:  ...unless the programmer(s) wanted to torture us into finding it by making us hack a FB2, retrieving the rom (which was probably not intended in the first place), and eithering decompiling or using an emu like z26 to trace and find the object.

1021180[/snapback]

More likely an object would be hidden off-screen accidentally because the programmer wasn't using an object and forgot about it. When hacking the original Adventure, the Number room will flicker with one object in it because the Surround object (the orange glow around the player) defaults to that location. Can't think why the "Cafeteria Room" [my term] would have to such objects, but it could.

Does the bat ever steal the "mystery dot"?  I've sometimes seen the bat with what looks like a four-pixel yellow bar.  Perhaps I should see if the "left cafeteria room" still flickers with only two objects in it.

Okay, it seems that when you start the game, the left cafeteria room (known throughout the kingdom for its excellent yeast rolls, by the way) flickers with only one object present. After you unlock the green castle the room no longer flickers with only one object, but it still flickers when only two are present. I haven't had a chance to determine what event, if any, eliminates the unexpected flicker altogether.

Also, the square tends to be dark green in most empty rooms, but in the left cafeteria room it appears light green. Maybe there is a light green object located off-screen? Maybe it ate too many yeast rolls?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

True! When Ron sent me his 5200 map in several sections since it is HUGE, it took quite a while to go through it and work out all of the loop-arounds and such. I had to make a few changes to create complex enough loop-around screens when I did the FB2 version. Think of the FB2 version of Adv2 as a condensed version of what the 5200 version is, you will find several of the FB2 mazes are actually small subsets within the larger 5200 mazes.

Curt

The 5200 version of Adventure II won't be as easy to map as the FB2/2600 version! ;) Map looks nice, BTW!

Nice work on the map!

Map is perfect! Nicely done :-)

Curt

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I actually had the time to put that map together, those screen shots are really mock ups I've drawn while looking at the game screen on my tv set. Would have been alot easier if I had a bin file of the program and used 'stills' from the Z26 emulator, at least my mock ups did come out very accurate. I did it because I was planning to do a hack of the game so it would graphicaly resemble more closely Ron's 5200 original. -BTW Curt, I really enjoyed the way you laid out the kingdoms! it was really fun putting the map together. On the down side though, I just wished the Troll and Minotuar were included which is what i'm tring to do for myself here.

Here is some mock-ups I sent to Ron while asking his advice:

post-7623-1158788362_thumb.jpg

I also started the hack project some time ago but postponed for now until I catch up with other stuff that need to be finished first.

Here's an actual test screen shot of what's done so far:

post-7623-1158788689_thumb.jpg

David :ahoy:

Cool! Are you going to post the bin when you're finished with the hack?

Well, I'm not sure how many people would want another 2600 adv II hack since the 5200 version is almost here -but sure, I'll definately post it in a new trend. It may be some time before that happens though as i'm trying to finish work on the dragon sprite for Spiceware's homebrew game 'Medieval Mayhem'. Check out Spiceware's blog if you havent yet. MM is an AWESOME warlords style game and I aim to render the best animated sprite for the dragon referee in his project! He has a playable demo out now and I don't want to hold up it's final completion which i'm looking forwad to!

In the meantime, I will post the adv II test bin here but please know that although you can roam around, it's not playable yet! (most of the screens are squashed because of it's low reso setup). I only finished two rooms in double reso just to see how close I can get to my earlier mock-ups and they're quite close. Here are the pics of a different castle design I had in mind and part of the hedge which you can find in the 'blue maze' area of the test bin:adv_II_test.bin

post-7623-1158853508_thumb.jpgpost-7623-1158853547_thumb.jpg

I also rendered my own dragon design in the same test but I think I'll stick to the dragons in Ron's version.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I actually had the time to put that map together, those screen shots are really mock ups I've drawn while looking at the game screen on my tv set.

That explains the blank row in the "signature" then, I guess. :) In the Adventure kernel, blank rows aren't allowed.

Whoops! Quite true! Guess I missed that one there :D ...it's very hard to fool the trained eye!

Edited by espire8

Cool! Are you going to post the bin when you're finished with the hack?

Well, I'm not sure how many people would want another 2600 adv II hack since the 5200 version is almost here -but sure, I'll definately post it in a new trend. It may be some time before that happens though as i'm trying to finish work on the dragon sprite for Spiceware's homebrew game 'Medieval Mayhem'. Check out Spiceware's blog if you havent yet. MM is an AWESOME warlords style game and I aim to render the best animated sprite for the dragon referee in his project! He has a playable demo out now and I don't want to hold up it's final completion which i'm looking forwad to!

In the meantime, I will post the adv II test bin here but please know that although you can roam around, it's not playable yet! (most of the screens are squashed because of it's low reso setup). I only finished two rooms in double reso just to see how close I can get to my earlier mock-ups and they're quite close. Here are the pics of a different castle design I had in mind and part of the hedge which you can find in the 'blue maze' area of the test bin:adv_II_test.bin

post-7623-1158853508_thumb.jpgpost-7623-1158853547_thumb.jpg

I also rendered my own dragon design in the same test but I think I'll stick to the dragons in Ron's version.

I'm always game for a new Adventure hack :)