IGNORED

FB3...

Ok. Please argue why Star Raiders should be better than Tie Fighter?

IMHO... the newer games have fantastic graphics and plenty of bells and whstles, but if you're looking for a game where you can plunk yourself down on the sofa and dogfight with aliens... well, the newer games just don't cut the mustard.

Hey, I just want to fly around, save starbases, and blast Zylons. Is that too much to ask?

Battlesphere is the only more current space combat game that I've really enjoyed; it's essentially 1979 Star Raiders with 1999 graphics.

Tie Fighter... it's actually decent - but it's also about a dozen years old. All these newer games seem to be stuck on a rail; complete the specific mission by performing certain tasks in a certain order in a certain amount of time. I haven't seen anything come out since that was just plain old FUN to play.

IMHO... the newer games have fantastic graphics and plenty of bells and whstles, but if you're looking for a game where you can plunk yourself down on the sofa and dogfight with aliens... well, the newer games just don't cut the mustard.

Hey, I just want to fly around, save starbases, and blast Zylons.  Is that too much to ask?

1002817[/snapback]

Thats why I still play the Ataris. They are fun to play for 30 mins to a 2 hours. Newer games want us to spend days if not weeks to finish. I find that game that I can play repeatedly have more value than one long game.

Battlesphere is the only more current space combat game that I've really enjoyed; it's essentially 1979 Star Raiders with 1999 graphics.

Tie Fighter... it's actually decent - but it's also about a dozen years old.  All these newer games seem to be stuck on a rail; complete the specific mission by performing certain tasks in a certain order in a certain amount of time.  I haven't seen anything come out since that was just plain old FUN to play.

1002817[/snapback]

I may try Battlesphere. I have played Xwing, but not Tie Fighter. The mission thing is nice, but sometimes I just want to blow things up. I stop playing a game mostly because I get stuck in 1 mission and cant get past it.

Edited by Almost Rice

Since we are fairly certain of the platform, could we discuss what possible games would be included at release?  I think Star Raiders, Missile Command, and Centipede.

1000606[/snapback]

It´d be nice to finally see the "real" The Last Starfighter outside the realm of emulation (if at all legally possible).

--Michael

I'd love to see some European games on the FB3; I think a lot of them (like Elektra Glide) would make great additions to the system, and earlier in this thread, I think I said that Atari should consider using them as long as they're written in English and as long as any problems with licensing games from another country can be worked out.

997659[/snapback]

I´d love to see Colourspace somehow used in the package and why not also include a couple of Jeff Minter classics on the console also (AMC, for one)?

--Michael

If this FB3 will be a 5200 console oort then I beleave to start off this system off right is to have REAL good games and I dont mean homebrew games I mean real third party games from Namco Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, even the games that never release like Super Pac-Man, and Nintendo's Donkey Kong, DKJr and even Sega's Zaxxon.

Games that should be on the FB3:

Berzerk

Blaster

Defender

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Junior

Dig Dug

Galaxian

Joust

Jr. Pac-Man

Jungle Hunt

Kangaroo

Mario Bros.

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Pengo

Pole Position

Robotron: 2084 ----BEST GAME EVER

Super Pac-Man

Vanguard

Xevious

And wile we talking about FB3 why now add a mini XE Light Gun to the system like thouse Famaclone units with small zapper guns and put games like Bug Hunt, Barnyard Blaster and any other games for the gun.

con_AtariXELightGun.jpg

List of known Light Gun games:

BUG HUNT

BARNYARD BLASTER

CRIME BUSTER

CROSSBOW

SHARP SHOOTERS

Edited by Atariboy2600

If this FB3 will be a 5200 console oort then I beleave to start off this system off right is to have REAL good games and I dont mean homebrew games I mean real  third party games from Namco Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, even the games that never release like Super Pac-Man, and Nintendo's Donkey Kong, DKJr and even Sega's Zaxxon.

Games that should be on the FB3:

Berzerk

Blaster

Defender

Donkey Kong   

Donkey Kong Junior

Dig Dug

Galaxian

Joust

Jr. Pac-Man

Jungle Hunt

Kangaroo

Mario Bros.

Moon Patrol     

Ms. Pac-Man   

Pac-Man   

Pengo     

Pole Position

Robotron: 2084 ----BEST GAME EVER

Super Pac-Man

Vanguard

Xevious

And wile we talking about FB3 why now add a mini XE Light Gun to  the system like thouse Famaclone units with small zapper guns and put games like Bug Hunt, Barnyard Blaster  and any other games for the gun.

con_AtariXELightGun.jpg

List of known Light Gun games:

BUG HUNT

BARNYARD BLASTER

CRIME BUSTER

CROSSBOW

SHARP SHOOTERS

1002988[/snapback]

You realize that this is not feasable, right? Even if Nintendo, Namco, Midway, etc., were to allow the games to be relicensed, the costs involved to do it would raise the price of the console through the roof.

It remains to be seen if future hardware will build upon the two Activision games we got into FB2. Even if more 3rd party titles could be included, it wouldn't be anything near what you are suggesting.

You realize that this is not feasable, right?  Even if Nintendo, Namco, Midway, etc., were to allow the games to be relicensed, the costs involved to do it would raise the price of the console through the roof.

It remains to be seen if future hardware will build upon the two Activision games we got into FB2.  Even if more 3rd party titles could be included, it wouldn't be anything near what you are suggesting.

1003001[/snapback]

That was why I listed the Atari games that made the system without the licensed games. I really like Joust, Defender, and Pacman, but I know its not likely to happen. It might work if they find the original license agreements it might change and thats less likely to happen.

Defender was one of the ports that I played the most.

He sure did ...

okay, we're all getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves here.    That kind of info will start to become more available in Spring/Summer 06'  So lets just take a step back here for a bit.
I know, I know...  just can't give out too much right now, heck the hardware wont even exist in proto form till about Jan-Feb, so we're getting a little ahead of things, but I think everyone is on the right track and I think you'll be pleased with some of the solutions to some age old previous console shortcomings that will be put into the new design on the next console, and this will be a console and not a TV plug and play, this unit will actually come with its games off-board on a card, which means that "More Games, More Fun" certainly will be the slogan to go with on the next Flashback.

Curt

I'm just hoping that Atari's recent money troubles don't snuff out the FB3. I still think it has the potential to be a bigger hit for them than yet another Matrix game.

Edited by jaybird3rd

The 5200 version of Berzerk would be a great asset to it. I know Atari wouldn't be able to put ALL of the games from that list on the unit, but a few would be nice(even just 2 or 3 would work for me)...

I know we really don't have MUCH influence in what will be with the FB3...but I'm sure Curt(and probably some others) are looking to see what we, the people who WILL purchase the unit, have to say and factor in the costs involved, and try to find a middle ground that makes everyone(Atari, and the consumers) happy.

TBH, I'd have little problem justifying $50 for a decently built unit, that has maybe 15-20 quality games(with 1 or 2 well known ones)...and either comes with a cart slot, and optimally an adapter for old carts(Even if I have to buy the adapter separately).

Nothing, just a comment on where most of the Atari Inc. management came from.

1008149[/snapback]

That's what I was hoping it was; I thought for a second that there was an acquisition in the works that I hadn't heard about. I just spent a few minutes looking into it and found that a lot of the senior management at Atari (including the former here-today-gone-tomorrow President/CEO) do seem to be Sony people.

Is there anyone in particular at Atari that we should contact? I figured that the FB2 sales figures would have spoken for themselves, unless they weren't as good as we've all been thinking.

Is there anyone in particular at Atari that we should contact?

Anyone and everyone in management you guys want to really. Have fun with it.

http://corporate.infogrames.com/worldwideoffices.html

I figured that the FB2 sales figures would have spoken for themselves, unless they weren't as good as we've all been thinking.

1008161[/snapback]

Just so no rumors start, no, sales were great. Sales can speak, doesn't mean everyone listens. Always helps to have extra people to shout it out. ;)

Im not suprised there is some doubt being cast on the FB 3.  It seemed alittle too good

to be true, 

Never said anything about doubt. All I said is it always helps to have management know people want a product. This thread has been going on since mid August, and at this point I think its time to say that if people really want the FB3 it doesn't hurt to let management know.

we can add it to the long list of 8bit vaporware right next to

the 65xem and the 1450xld...

1008175[/snapback]

Except for it to be vaporware along those lines, it would had to have been announced as being in development or an intended product at some time by Atari. It has not. It's been in no press announcements, no quarterly reports, etc. etc. In fact, the only info regarding it has been from Curt on this board. You'll notice in credits that Curt and company (which includes me as well) are credited as Legacy Engineering.

The 14050xld was an announced Atari product, and went through some small trials (where there was a small test production). The 65xem was put out in the press. This is not the case. This is not the case here, and all of which is moot. I never said the FB3 is not or is going to be an official product. All I said was that it always helps to have people state their desire.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I hope it does see light of day... otherwise we can

add it to the long list of 8bit machines, games, and peripheals that were rumored

or like you say even made it into magazines (and in the case of the 1400/1450

I remember having a catalog with those systems in it).

My request for the FB3 dont hire the same place that made the terrible new games

for the FB2 to program anything for the FB3!!!

Also let's hope the floundering Atari still exists by the time the FB 3 is released.

--Kevin

Edited by kevin242

Never said anything about doubt.  All I said is it always helps to have management know people want a product.  This thread has been going on since mid August, and at this point I think its time to say that if people really want the FB3 it doesn't hurt to let management know.

1008183[/snapback]

I agree; it's way too early to consider the FB3 vaporware or dead-on-arrival or anything like that, and I don't want to overlook the efforts that Curt and his team have already made in putting it together. I'm going to write Atari and let them know how much I liked the FB2 and how much I want to see the FB3 become a finished poduct, and I hope everyone else does the same.

One thing I would say to anyone who writes, though, is to be nice and polite and professional in your dealings with Atari. It shouldn't be necessary to point that out, but during the time Atari was owned by Hasbro, I seem to remember a bunch of Atari fans turning nasty and giving them all kinds of grief over the issues of Battlesphere and the Jaguar encryption key. The Atari community comes across as a bunch of crazies when things like that happen, and I'd rather see us make a better impression with Infogrames.

Sorry I haven't been around much or posting much lately, I've just been extremely busy these past 2 months and free time hasn't been much of a luxury.

FB3 is in partial operational existence in the lab here and a duplicate unit in the HK office. Whether it becomes an 06' product or not is unclear, we're just the geeks making the toys.

Curt

Didn't Curt say that the FB3 would be a hardware prototype about now?

1007638[/snapback]

FB3 is in partial operational existence in the lab here and a duplicate unit in the HK office.      Whether it becomes an 06' product or not is unclear, we're just the geeks making the toys.

Sounds great, Curt. I think my FB2 is great, and I can't wait to see what the FB3 is going to be like.

I'm guessing that the FB3 will be some kind of 8-bit/5200 platform ... but anyone thought about an FB 2.1? I'm not talking about Revision C; instead what I'm thinking of is a console similar to the 2.0, but with changes in the ROM line-up. I can see Atari releasing a 2.1, 2.2, etc. on a regular basis, each with a different line-up of old and new 2600 games.

Guys, at this point if you want to see an FB3 - write to Atari saying how much you enjoyed the 2 that Curt delivered and would love to see the 3.  That's the most assured way to make sure that Sony Mus...I mean Atari Inc.  know the demand is there.

1008127[/snapback]

I would wholeheartedly agree with Marty. The best way to let Atari know how you feel about Flashback 2 (and the work Curt and the rest of the team delivered) is is to WRITE to Atari and let them know.

Sales were great, but every little bit of praise from the audience is helpful!!

Why, oh WHY hasn't the Atari Flashback console been done right yet? And by right, I mean every single last effing Atari 2600 game that the powers-that-be still own the licenses for being included on it, since we all know we can now fit all known Atari 2600 games into a microscopic bit of real estate. I also mean every game playing, looking, and sounding EXACTLY like the actual cartridge versions, which, I believe, even the FB2 doesn't quite do (correct me if I'm wrong). I also mean new paddle controllers included; at least they did the right thing with the new CX40 joysticks. A big step up. I also mean a cartridge slot included for compatibility with third-party games that wouldn't be included in the unit proper. But, noooooooooooooo, that seems out of the realm of possibility.

40 effing games, for chrissakes? Out of hundreds and hundreds? With no cartridge compatibility, no paddle controls, and not-quite-accurate gameplay? Fuggeddaboudit.

I think that spamming company execs like that would be more harmful than beneficial.

The recommendation to WRITE to company execs meant paper and pen - you know, old-fashioned communication. One letter on paper arriving in the mail is worth a thousand electronic emails. Half a dozen PAPER letters arriving on some exec's desk could actually make a difference between 'yay' or 'nay' for the FB3. It's a good idea, and I'm going to sit down tonight and put ink on paper.

So, what's the best mailing address to write to? ;)

Why, oh WHY hasn't the Atari Flashback console been done right yet? 40 effing games, for chrissakes? Out of hundreds and hundreds?

You're one of those "the glass is half-empty, not half-full" types, aren't you? :roll:

Sure, there are some problems like the HMOVE glitch (which most folks don't notice until it's pointed out to them...) and I've gotta admit, I would much rather that THRUST or Strat-e-Gems had been included than, say, Yar's Return or Space Duel.

But you know, back in the day, cartridges cost about $25 or $30 a piece (actually, more if you count in inflation). And have you priced out joysticks lately? For the price stores used to charge for just ONE cartridge, you get the equivalent of an AV-modded 2600 with new joysticks and 42 games.

I think the FB2 is a friggin' bargain. I can't wait to see what's next.